Author Topic: Malaysian Airlines plane shot down over Eastern Ukraine  (Read 9247 times)

Offline starseeker

• God
Malaysian Airlines plane shot down over Eastern Ukraine
« on: July 17, 2014, 01:51:53 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28354856

Current theories doing the rounds are mechanical faults, Russia shot it down, the seperatists shot it down with Russian AA, the seperatists shot it down with stolen Ukrainian AA, the Ukrainians shot it down assuming it was the seperatists etc. This could get very interesting.

It's not been a good year for Malaysian Airlines has it?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Malaysian Airlines plane shot down over Eastern Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 01:59:12 pm »
No, it hasn't.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:00:30 pm »
Now watch CNN fixate on this for the next month and watch the Republitards blame Obama.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 02:03:26 pm »
Nothing of substance circulating in the press yet. I'll wait until more evidence comes to light before I start pointing fingers.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 02:06:38 pm »
Was it confirmed to have been shot down?  From what I've heard, that's still up in the air (no pun intended).  But it seems likely, doesn't it?

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 02:50:48 pm »
Was it confirmed to have been shot down?  From what I've heard, that's still up in the air (no pun intended).  But it seems likely, doesn't it?

It exploded in mid-air in an area where 2 other planes were shot down in the last week, and is an active warzone. It's plausible as a theory.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 03:26:39 pm »
Until evidence otherwise emerges, I will assume it was shot down by the Ukrainians AND the separatists.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 03:28:05 pm »
At first the the separatists were quite proudly stating that they have shot down yet another Ukrainian military plane after it refused to change course despite being warned... How they would have warned it is unclear but does not seem to matter as they redacted that statement as soon as it was revealed that it was an civilian plane that had been shot down.

Here is the original post from a separatist leader which has now been removed:

And translation:
We warned them not to fly in our sky. The birdie fell behind the earth dump, didn't affect inhabited areas. Peaceful civilians were not harmed

Now the separatists are claiming that they do not even have any weapons that are capable of this and that an Ukrainian fighter plane shot down the Malaysian plane.

Meanwhile Russia today is becoming quite the entertainment channel...

They are calling this an "accident" and a "crash" rather than calling it a shooting, thought they are accepting the possibility that the plane was shot down but are uncertain which side would have done it. They even dug up the old case of Ukrainian military accidentally shooting an civilian plane and are using it as evidence that they might have done it again and an expert from USA was talking about how reckless and unusual it is for planes to fly over warzones like this. (RT was staying classy and also accused the Malaysian airlines being unreliable, referring to the earlier missing plane that was on the news a lot.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 05:04:48 pm »
American intelligence seems to have confirmed that a surface-to-air missile was indeed responsible.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 05:24:15 pm »
You don't suppose that this is the flight that's been missing since March, do you?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:44:15 pm by Old Viking »
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 05:25:19 pm »
This is terrible. I wonder why a commercial jetliner was flying in such dangerous territory.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 05:27:45 pm »
This is terrible. I wonder why a commercial jetliner was flying in such dangerous territory.

Apparently they were supposed to be avoiding the area, but rebels/militia aren't usually capable of taking down things flying at 30,000 feet, the previously shot down planes were at something like 15,000 ft.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 05:37:37 pm »

Apparently they were supposed to be avoiding the area, but rebels/militia aren't usually capable of taking down things flying at 30,000 feet, the previously shot down planes were at something like 15,000 ft.

Ah, I see. The risk there is still obvious, but I guess we'll learn more as officials investigate. Additionally:

Meanwhile, the head of Ukrainian's emergency services told Reuters that search efforts at the scene of the crash we being hampered by "armed terrorists."

http://news.yahoo.com/maylasian-plane-crash-ukraine-russia-153426322.html
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 06:14:24 pm »
Remind me to never fly Malaysian Airlines.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 06:56:44 pm »
It was apparently a Russian medium-range SAM, probably a Buk. At least, according to the Ukrainian Interior Minister. Now, that might be a battery they smuggled to their special forces in Ukraine, but a SAM is complicated and expensive technology. I doubt Ukrainian rookies could aim and fire it without direct Russian help. Of course, it's definitely been supplied by the Russians. This comes one day after the Americans identified some photographs of Grad missiles being fired as on the border of Ukraine - on the Russian side.

What I want to know - what happened to the Malaysian jet's IFF? Did the Malaysians not turn it on, or could the Russians not detect it?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR