Author Topic: "When is rape ok?" according to a poll  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
"When is rape ok?" according to a poll
« on: March 20, 2014, 06:04:41 am »
This is interesting as I found this picture:

DISCLAIMER: THE "POLL" IN THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN MISREPRESENTED, things aren't as bad as it seems but this does bring up some interesting things.

If you try to find the page mentioned in the text you will find this site:
http://www.fearus.org/#sthash.bpCRCG5A.dpbs

The site is not the original one that is referred to as the source but it has background information on the "poll" and some explanations. For example, that the questionnaire the article refers to actually had question of when is it acceptable for a guy to hold down a girl and force her to have sex with him and 1 to 5 scale where one extreme was "yes" and the other "no" but what the 2-4 where is still unclear. Apparently everything that wasn't "no" is represented as "yes" in the image I linked. So not quite as bad as it seems but still interesting (and apalling.) Also the study was made in 1978 so views may have changed.

Also, the original study had more than one person behind it but they are not named in the book "Sexual Violence: Opposing Viewpoints" from which the original image is from.

Now I do wonder how many people just looked at that image and started spreading it without looking for any background information about it.

I also wonder who the hell would think that raping someone is ok if they a) "let you touch them above the waist" or b) "has had sex with others."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: "When is rape ok?" according to a poll
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:09:47 am »
In a nutshell, some super-psycho RadFems had a now defunct webpage where they showed this study which was horribly misrepresented in order to scare folks away from men.

The test was not a Yes/No test, it was a 5-point scale one & the "Yeses" represented "Hell no! Not okay!".

And this test was done over thirty years ago!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:12:29 am »
Context is everything.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:15:21 am »

Now I do wonder how many people just looked at that image and started spreading it without looking for any background information about it.

Oooooh, i know!! A large chunk of people on Tumblr?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 09:22:47 am »
I don't know even in the Original context the results were pretty terrifying. I would love to see what the results would be like today in different countries.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 03:50:34 pm »
I don't know even in the Original context the results were pretty terrifying. I would love to see what the results would be like today in different countries.
Basically only 46% of males taking part in the survey felt that rape is NEVER ok despite the circumstances. On one hand it is a shame that we don't know what the other options are but, I'm not sure I'd be able to say that rape is kinda/almost/somehow acceptable either.

I mean seriously, "she gets him excited sexually?" Just because some good looking lady doing workout at the gym or striptease act or whatever might get me horny does not mean that raping her is ok...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 05:00:44 pm »

Oooooh, i know!! A large chunk of people on Tumblr?
fixed

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 11:41:52 pm »
Basically only 46% of males taking part in the survey felt that rape is NEVER ok despite the circumstances. On one hand it is a shame that we don't know what the other options are but, I'm not sure I'd be able to say that rape is kinda/almost/somehow acceptable either.

I mean seriously, "she gets him excited sexually?" Just because some good looking lady doing workout at the gym or striptease act or whatever might get me horny does not mean that raping her is ok...

Considering the decidedly misleading presentation of the results and the weird poll design which seems tailor-made to produce the aforementioned misleading results, I'd be very suspicious of any conclusions from this poll. I think it's likely most of the non-negative answers come from people not understanding the question rather than genuinely saying rape is in some way OK given x y z conditions.

Or possibly just trolling. These are highschool students, they might have thought it was funny to give bad answers. There once was a major study called National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health which returned anomalous results regarding gay and bisexual teens. Digging deeper, the researchers noticed that probably a bunch of the kids claiming to have experienced same-sex attraction were straight and simply found it funny to say otherwise, skewing the results.

My point being: the data from this is essentially useless.
Σא