Author Topic: Has anyone else experienced this?  (Read 9894 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
Has anyone else experienced this?
« on: January 14, 2012, 01:41:36 pm »
I've been experiencing something weird for quite some time now. It used to happen at rare intervals when I was younger, but now it's been happening to me on almost a nightly basis and I'm wondering what the hell could be causing it...

I lay down and close my eyes to go to sleep... and even though my eyes are CLOSED... I'll see weird flashes of white light... almost as if someone is flashing a bright light right into my eye from the inside of my eyelid. It used to happen every few weeks, but now it's happening more and more often and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it and might have an idea of what might be causing it. I have a hard enough time falling asleep without feeling like someone is flashing a light in my face at night... I have had no other symptoms with my eyes that concern me.

Thanks!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Has anyone else experienced this?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:43:33 pm »
I moved this to Science/Technology for better hope of an answer.

I myself have it happen sometimes but I attribute it to basic brain and eyeball chemistry and the like.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 01:52:36 pm »
Are you experiencing any pain in your eyes?

I have had "flashes" before but never any pain or anything. It might be a normal thing but if it is disrupting your sleep you may want to consult with your doctor about it.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:04:51 pm »
Nope. I haven't been experiencing any pain in my eyes, though I have been getting headaches more frequently lately. I just find it more annoying and frustrating than anything else.

I'm visiting with a friend today, so I won't be responding to any posts for a bit. Later. :)

Edit: Thanks for moving it, Shane. :)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:07:28 pm »
Wait. Do you get the flashes before the headache? Cause that could be an aura. I think I'm using that word right.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 02:10:10 pm »
Wait. Do you get the flashes before the headache? Cause that could be an aura. I think I'm using that word right.

Yes, an aura accompanied by a headache is what is called an "aural migraine." It's what that one reporter, Branson had when she flubbed up her report on the Grammy awards, or whatever award show it was.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 03:47:01 pm »
I've had that a little bit. Sometimes as I close my eyes, right as I'm going to sleep, a lot of bizarre images and lights start flashing in my eyes and I twitch my arms and legs. Personally I've found that not going on the computer or the TV a few hours before sleeping helps, but I don't know if that's the case with everyone.

Yesterday I also had my first experience with sleep paralysis, and I couldn't move for a full five to seven minutes. It was pretty cool.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Smilodon

• Warrior of Perim
  • Bishop
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 08:14:50 pm »

Yes, an aura accompanied by a headache is what is called an "aural migraine." It's what that one reporter, Branson had when she flubbed up her report on the Grammy awards, or whatever award show it was.

There's also the possibility that it's epilepsy. I'd check with the doctor for something like this.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 09:36:14 pm »
I've had the flashes without and with the headaches. I'm not sure if they're related or not. I thought my headaches were caused by my teeth. My entire top row needs extensive work, and I'm pretty sure more than one is absessed.

And speaking of teeth... as a slightly off topic question... Is it possible for infected teeth to kill you? I've seen conflicting reports of it on the internet. Some people say that the infection could spread to your brain and kill you, others say no it can't. Does anyone here know for sure? (Yeah, I know, I REALLY gotta get myself a family doctor) >.<

And in regards to the possibility of it being epilepsy... I honestly hadn't thought of that, but that could be a possibility. My mother has epilepsy, but I have no history of seizures. I'm going to have to ask a doctor about that one for sure...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:38:22 pm by Nightangel8212 »

deadpandoubter

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 11:43:04 pm »
I've heard that if the infection can spread, period, it's bad news whether it gets to spinal or brain matter or not.

ETA: The NIH indicates that untreated tooth abscesses are serious shit:

Outlook (Prognosis)

Untreated abscesses may get worse and can lead to life-threatening complications.

Prompt treatment usually cures the infection. The tooth can usually be saved in many cases.

Possible Complications

Loss of the tooth
    Mediastinitis
    Sepsis
    Spread of infection to soft tissue (facial cellulitis, Ludwig's angina)
    Spread of infection to the jaw bone (osteomyelitis of the jaw)
    Spread of infection to other areas of the body resulting in brain abscess, endocarditis, pneumonia, or other complications

As far as the flashes, dunno if this is relevant, but I have a family history of epilepsy, and flashing lights give my mother migraines within a few minutes. I've also had weird flashing lights when I close my eyes, but not very often and I don't usually get a headache after them.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:45:38 pm by deadpandoubter »

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 01:27:44 am »
DPD, thank you soooo much for that link. It actually made me feel a little relieved because I only have the general toothaches.  I did the test thing and felt no additional pain, so I don't think my  teeth are absessed yet, but I'm damn sure there's cavities up there, and some of my old fillings are slowly chipping their way out...

I'm kinda tempted to tell a dentist to just yank all my top row out and just give me false teeth >.< I only have eleven teeth up top anyway, and one of them already had a root canal done on it twelve years ago... and I only found out recently that a root canal is only good for five years.

After I'm through with those anxiety group sessions I'm starting on monday, I'll make medical appointments with my old family doctor and try to find a good dentist in the area.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 09:02:46 am »
I've been experiencing something weird for quite some time now. It used to happen at rare intervals when I was younger, but now it's been happening to me on almost a nightly basis and I'm wondering what the hell could be causing it...

I lay down and close my eyes to go to sleep... and even though my eyes are CLOSED... I'll see weird flashes of white light... almost as if someone is flashing a bright light right into my eye from the inside of my eyelid. It used to happen every few weeks, but now it's happening more and more often and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it and might have an idea of what might be causing it. I have a hard enough time falling asleep without feeling like someone is flashing a light in my face at night... I have had no other symptoms with my eyes that concern me.

Thanks!

Do you have any existing problems with your vision?  Namely severe near or far-sightedness?   Any 'holes' in your vision or thick washes of 'floaters'? 
Do the flashes of light, upon closer examination, resemble streaks of lightning?

The reason I ask is to rule out the possibility of a retinal detachment or tear.  People with severe myopia or hyperopia (like me) tend to have a decently increased risk of such things happening.

I'm starting out pretty much with one of the worst-case-scenarios, but what you're seeing could be as relatively harmless as an ocular migrane. (amarosis fugax [sp?])  which I was diagnosed with once or twice.

It runs the whole gamut really... so I'd suggest you see an eye doctor and get checked out.  If just to rule out any possible problems that can be fixed if caught early enough.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 09:49:14 am »

Thanks!

Do you have any existing problems with your vision?  Namely severe near or far-sightedness?   Any 'holes' in your vision or thick washes of 'floaters'? 
Do the flashes of light, upon closer examination, resemble streaks of lightning?

The reason I ask is to rule out the possibility of a retinal detachment or tear.  People with severe myopia or hyperopia (like me) tend to have a decently increased risk of such things happening.

I'm starting out pretty much with one of the worst-case-scenarios, but what you're seeing could be as relatively harmless as an ocular migrane. (amarosis fugax [sp?])  which I was diagnosed with once or twice.

It runs the whole gamut really... so I'd suggest you see an eye doctor and get checked out.  If just to rule out any possible problems that can be fixed if caught early enough.

I'm near sighted, but it's not severe and EVERYONE in my immediate family wears glasses. My vision hasn't changed at all since I graduated over ten years ago, though. I have no holes in my vision (at least that I've noticed?) and I've never seen a floater before in my life.

As for the flashes of light... no, they don't resemble lightning... They're weird. The closest thing I can think of to describe the general shapes of these things is roundish, but with uneven sides. Like if you shot a paintball at the wall straight on and the paint splattered on the sides. Sometimes it seems to come almost from the corner of my vision, other times it's like it's directly in front of my pupils.

When I talk to my old family doctor, I'm going to tell him that I want a COMPLETE 100% thorough medical examination. Top to bottom, inside and out, X-Rays and CAT scans, I want it all frickin' done. There is something (I'm thinking maybe SEVERAL somethings) wrong with me and I want to get it dealt with. The Anxiety Attacks are the worst still for me yet, though, so that's why I want to do these sessions first.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 10:12:21 am »
I sometimes see lights like that. It kind of looks like a spinning pinwheel, and it sometimes (but not always) precedes a migraine. I figure they're just auras. Been getting them for years and it's never been a major issue other than it makes it hard to see for half an hour or so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 12:19:52 pm »
I had an aura migraine some weeks ago.

The aura, for me, was more like a manifestation of several blindspots on my eyes, like I had looked into a lamp too long and had developed a semi-permanent glare.  Was not fun.

I've yet to experience sleep paralysis.

I do swear, however, that I've shut off my alarm in my sleep a few times.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet