Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387047 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #330 on: January 11, 2017, 08:31:50 am »
It's a proverb, they don't always make sense. Unfortunately it also means that people don't sometimes get the point. For example, I was looking for a good translation to this particular proverb and found a forum where someone complained about it because "doesn't that mean that if I insult Africans then *magical sound* I become a nigger?" ...No. That's not what it means.

I mean the point basically is "the one that screams in pain is the one that is in pain" kinda dealie. Why was someone throwing around sticks or firewood? It's not clear. Maybe the dogs were barking in the night and the owner wanted to shut 'em up?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #331 on: January 11, 2017, 11:34:08 am »
I don't know, it sounds a lot like kafkatrapping to me.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #332 on: January 11, 2017, 11:48:25 am »
It's a proverb, they don't always make sense. Unfortunately it also means that people don't sometimes get the point. For example, I was looking for a good translation to this particular proverb and found a forum where someone complained about it because "doesn't that mean that if I insult Africans then *magical sound* I become a nigger?" ...No. That's not what it means.

I mean the point basically is "the one that screams in pain is the one that is in pain" kinda dealie. Why was someone throwing around sticks or firewood? It's not clear. Maybe the dogs were barking in the night and the owner wanted to shut 'em up?

Makes sense, I've always just assumed Lana was a Trump voter, but that gives more circumstantial evidence.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #333 on: January 11, 2017, 12:35:16 pm »

Makes sense, I've always just assumed Lana was a Trump voter, but that gives more circumstantial evidence.

Well, when you assume...

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #334 on: January 11, 2017, 07:01:53 pm »
I'm not about to accuse Lana of being a deep cover Trumpkin, it's entirely possible to be a socially conservative Democrat. I don't know what your motives are, I've no reason to suspect dishonesty and without further information I'm not about to hazard a guess.

That said Lana, pointing out the influence of racism in an election isn't the same as calling people racist. It's also not an either/or choice between racism and the economy. Racist attitudes don't exist in a vacuum, support for France's National Front exist in areas where unemployment is high and of course the Nazis and other Fascist groups arose in the context of the Great Depression. To say that racism is a major factor in Trump's success is not the same as saying all his supporters are a bunch of racists.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #335 on: January 11, 2017, 07:40:02 pm »
I'm not about to accuse Lana of being a deep cover Trumpkin, it's entirely possible to be a socially conservative Democrat. I don't know what your motives are, I've no reason to suspect dishonesty and without further information I'm not about to hazard a guess.

That said Lana, pointing out the influence of racism in an election isn't the same as calling people racist. It's also not an either/or choice between racism and the economy. Racist attitudes don't exist in a vacuum, support for France's National Front exist in areas where unemployment is high and of course the Nazis and other Fascist groups arose in the context of the Great Depression. To say that racism is a major factor in Trump's success is not the same as saying all his supporters are a bunch of racists.

Not disagreeing with you there. But I think the role of racism in Trump's election has been exaggerated.

And what makes you think I'm "socially conservative?" Just curious.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #336 on: January 11, 2017, 09:14:39 pm »
I guess your quoting the Daily Bell who are known for promoting belief in "cultural Marxism" seems a tad socially conservative, especially when there are less long winded explanations that don't involve pegging responsibility on the phenomenon on to one particular faction or persuasion.

Regardless your belief that the effect of racism in the election was exaggerated should be coupled with reasons why. The fact that more minorities voted for Trump than Romney is not sufficient. It doesn't actually show that this invalidates the theory that racism played a major role in Trump's election.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #337 on: January 12, 2017, 01:24:34 am »
somewhat related

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE8nQZPfYpY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE8nQZPfYpY</a>

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #338 on: January 12, 2017, 01:56:55 am »
...This story has continued escalating: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/5876de6be4b0f8a7254484d6?timestamp=1484189321777

Now the British spy who was the source behind "Trump paid to be peed on by Russian prostitutes" story has fled his home and is hiding from assassins?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #339 on: January 12, 2017, 02:14:30 am »
presumably flamboyant and bizarre assassins, because life is apparently genre shifted to a really, really weird Bond story.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #340 on: January 12, 2017, 02:43:31 am »
presumably flamboyant and bizarre assassins, because life is apparently genre shifted to a really, really weird Bond story.

...Russian intelligence service teaming up with an exxentric US billionaire who is about to become the president? Yeah, that's a Bond movie plot. Do you think the KGB is going to pull out the umbrella that shoots poison darts from storage just for this?

Also: http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/01/11/trumps-secretary-state-pick-just-lied-oath-backfired-beautifully/

WHY ARE YOU SO INCOMPETENT? I can perfectly understand the evil, selfish and corrupt people rise to power but is it too much to ask that they are at least smart so that we can go "Yeah, the prez turned out to be evil but can you really blame us? His campaign was so masterfully done that it could have fooled anyone."

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #341 on: January 12, 2017, 03:14:05 am »
The puns are getting out of control. From George Takei

Tinkle, tinkle, little czar. Putin put you where you are.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #342 on: January 12, 2017, 06:18:43 am »
Do you think the KGB is going to pull out the umbrella that shoots poison darts from storage just for this?

*adjusts glasses* Actually, I think you'll find that was the Bulgarian secret service, and furthermore...

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #343 on: January 12, 2017, 06:50:34 am »
KGB was involved in that plot though.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #344 on: January 12, 2017, 11:22:24 am »
During the press conference yesterday, Trump's stoolies brought out a bunch of folders filled with papers they wouldn't let reporters see because it contained his "business plan".  The papers were all blank.

Ironbite-WE'RE ALL GONNA FUCKING DIE!