Author Topic: Nation of whiners?  (Read 16184 times)

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
Re: Nation of whiners?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 09:55:32 pm »
Which drives me insane having heard the stories from generations before mine who were considerably more destructive, drug prone, and yet still active. Shit didn't get closed because a couple kids had a fight, the kids involved got smacked around for being idiots and no one got sued. Now, kids get into a fight some place, the owner gets sued by their parents, and anyone who used the place is now screwed.

At some point parents decided that they had to fight their children's battles for them, physical or otherwise.  I remember coming home with a few black eyes.  My father never wanted to sue or go after someone for that.  He just wanted me to make sure I kept my hands up the next time, or you know not get into a fight in the first place. 

Now parents can't even handle when their child fails a test.  Parents blame the teacher, or the school , or everyone.  Instead of telling the kid they failed this time. 

The one who doesn't fall doesn't stand up. ~ Fedor Emelianenko
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 10:44:26 pm »
All these comments force me to wonder why more adults weren't caught playing on these things. I'll be damned if I wouldn't do it again, given the chance.
I'd LOVE to play on a playground that was like the one I played in back when.  Unfortunately, since I don't have any kids to take, people would probably assume I was there on said playground for nefarious purposes.  Chris Hansen would probably be hiding in the bushes or something.

Screw that, I just want to play on the swings.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 01:26:00 am »
OMG, remember the big metal dome jungle gyms that were burning hot in midsummer but you played on them anyway?

And swing sets that you got in trouble for jumping from but did anyway so you could pretend you could fly?

And the GIANT SLIDE that felt like it went on forever?

And rope bridges?  And the ball pit at Showbiz Pizza?

And those stupid springy animal things that were supposed to rock back and forth but were so rusted-out they wouldn't move anymore?

:))))))

Frankly, if you can't break a bone playing on it wrong, it's not worthwhile.  No wonder kids don't want to play outside anymore.

And then we turn around and wonder why childhood obesity is such a problem in this country.  Hmm, I wonder...  ::)
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 04:54:15 am »
Which drives me insane having heard the stories from generations before mine who were considerably more destructive, drug prone, and yet still active. Shit didn't get closed because a couple kids had a fight, the kids involved got smacked around for being idiots and no one got sued. Now, kids get into a fight some place, the owner gets sued by their parents, and anyone who used the place is now screwed.

At some point parents decided that they had to fight their children's battles for them, physical or otherwise.

This, SO fucking much.  Most of my life since age 10 or so (when I first caught on that other kids my age meant more than "make my own bed" when they said "chores") has been a battle with my parents to let me do things myself.  Yes, I'll fuck up sometimes.  But how am I supposed to learn to do something if you keep doing it for me?
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 06:54:24 am »
I remember my childhood..  Spending hours exploring the forest near my house, fishing in the ponds, collecting insects and small animals, climbing up the fences and exploring new areas outside my neighborhood, swimming in the ponds, and releasing live fish in my pool..  ahhh.  those where good times.  hell i even remember the fun i had just playing on the swing sets and climbing on a cool wood playground at this community center..  i still remember when i got that little catfish stuck in my hand from fishing in a small creek. i had to go to the hospital to get it removed.  or the wolf spider i kept as a pet. 

Parents today do not let there kids do anything fun..  A few months ago i had a parent approach me and tell me to tell my nephews not to play with his kid anymore because they where roughhousing and my youngest nephew hit him in the head with a cattail leaf and fruit.  i mean its fucking pathetic..  where is the fun?  no wonder kids are getting fatter and stupider they are under way too much parental control.  I say they should let the kids have fun without helicopter parents hovering over them like a vulture watching a dying animal..  to the kids who are reading this.  Release the inner chaos and Discord and have fun! let no one stop you from playing! mistakes are suppose to be made, Injuries are suppose to happen come out of your shells and homes and embrace the FUN!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:11:52 am by Iczerfour »

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 01:18:08 pm »
You were finned by a catfish too?  Mine didn't get stuck, though.  Still hurt like hell.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 01:39:02 pm »
I'm just going to interject some bitching here, scuse me...

Those in it look like adults but "haven't become fully adult yet—traditionally defined as finishing school, landing a job with benefits, marrying and parenting—because they are not ready or perhaps not permitted to do so."

Uh...finishing school, getting a job, even marriage, I'll give you all that, but parenting?  Making a little sprog is not a measure of becoming an adult.  I know plenty of "adults" who are psychologically children who have, unfortunately, reproduced.  Popping out a kid isn't some magical doorway into adulthood.  Just like marriage doesn't prevent rape, STDs, or stupidity.

Real quick, dude. Parenting and having kids are two different things. You know that, right? Having kids is just that. Someone's sperm hits someone's egg. All goes well and nine months later boom, a child is born. Parenting is what comes after. It's what happens when your whole world, your whole perspective, every priority, everything changes. And it's all willingly. Parenting is the midnight, 2am, and  4am feeding and making it to work on time. Parenting is being willing to break whatever moment or mood with your partner so you can again tonight take a flashlight and rid under the beds and closets of monsters. So to recap, having a kid doesn't make you an adult. but responsibly caring for zim does.

Anyways, I was born in '80. I had a little tiny bit of the cool times, of roaming about with my friends. We had a big grassy field at the end of my street. And there were enough of us so that there was always a ball to play with. Every day in the summer there was a game of Calvin Ball. There was always a mom sitting out on the porch to make sure we drank enough Kool Ade and we didn't kill each other.  I remember all the neighborhood dads got together and bought a bunch of lumber and scrap metal and built a playground one day. There were a good 25 dads who all went out one Saturday and just made a playground with swings, slides, monkey bars, ladders and platforms, a Tarzan swing. It was great. They built it after a few kids broke their arms on the playground built over the asphalt parking lot.

I remember that changing when I was probably 8 or 9. It slowly stopped happening. There was no younger pack. No little brothers or sisters would mob around like we did.  And one by one, when my friends started getting to the age where we start finding girls (and boys for the handful of tomboys we'd hang with) and kind of outgrew all playing together in a field, nobody took our place. It was about then that the adults stopped hanging out on porches after work. Maybe because the kids had stopped playing together, maybe just times changing, maybe it was one of those things that just happen.

I try to do as much as I can with my kids. They play outside with each other and anyone else who might be out. When they skin their knees, I wash it off, slap a band aid on it, and send them right back out, hopefully a little wiser. Get dirty, you can take a shower and I can wash the clothes. I've even been known to let the older three girls "fight it out" and learn for themselves how to deal with each other. To my mind, that is part of being a good parent. I know they'll eventually have to deal with the world without Daddy standing right there. And it's important to me that I do everything I can to help them do that.

And let me tell you, it's hard raising them like that in the suburbs today. I don't see as much of the helicopter parents here, but the khaki crowd is just as bad. For those who don't know what I mean, the show Suburgatory or just about any sitcom where they show a PTA will get you the general idea. Those people do not believe in unstructured playtime and that makes it hard for me to get other kids for mine to play with in the manner I feel they should be.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 01:56:56 pm »
Anyone die a little inside when that PSA comes on urging kids to go out to play an hour each day?

Hell when I was little, it was from can see to can't see.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 04:36:24 pm »
Anyone die a little inside when that PSA comes on urging kids to go out to play an hour each day?

I find it most ironic coming from kids TV channels. Those PSAs don't work well if you're advertising missing a TV show with said show's characters.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 05:07:46 pm »
I'm just going to interject some bitching here, scuse me...

Those in it look like adults but "haven't become fully adult yet—traditionally defined as finishing school, landing a job with benefits, marrying and parenting—because they are not ready or perhaps not permitted to do so."

Uh...finishing school, getting a job, even marriage, I'll give you all that, but parenting?  Making a little sprog is not a measure of becoming an adult.  I know plenty of "adults" who are psychologically children who have, unfortunately, reproduced.  Popping out a kid isn't some magical doorway into adulthood.  Just like marriage doesn't prevent rape, STDs, or stupidity.

Real quick, dude. Parenting and having kids are two different things. You know that, right? Having kids is just that. Someone's sperm hits someone's egg. All goes well and nine months later boom, a child is born. Parenting is what comes after. It's what happens when your whole world, your whole perspective, every priority, everything changes. And it's all willingly. Parenting is the midnight, 2am, and  4am feeding and making it to work on time. Parenting is being willing to break whatever moment or mood with your partner so you can again tonight take a flashlight and rid under the beds and closets of monsters. So to recap, having a kid doesn't make you an adult. but responsibly caring for zim does.

Aye, I understand the difference there.  Actually being a decent parent pretty much requires being a stable, well-adjusted adult to begin with, but it also helps there, too.  Just, I know there are people that actually believe the whole "only way to truly be happy/become an adult is to have kids" thing.  As the old adage goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat, mein freund.  ...Why you'd be skinning a fucking cat in the first place is beyond me, but you get the jist.

When I was little (like >= 4 years-old), I used to play a lot.  Then, we got the Commodore and NES, and I promptly took to gaming like a fish to water.  Would I change that, if I could?  Honestly, I don't really know...gaming is one of the reasons I want to design games in the first place, and it was one of the only times I could be legitimately happy for a few, brief moments.  Least, before I met my lady, and I found out that I can be legitimately happy almost 24/7 with her, but yeah.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 07:01:45 pm »

That's supposed to be the minimum.  But yeah....the way they phrase it makes it sound like outdoor time should be rationed, or something.  Ugh.

I will say, though, that it's really rough when there are no kids remotely your age in the neighborhood, and you can't walk to the nearest park or playground.  My bro and I played outside, or roughhoused indoors, all the time.  It wasn't until we were around 10 or so that we gave up on it--most of the fun games we could think of required more than 2 kids to play, we were never allowed to make blanket forts, and we stopped living in houses with pools or near beaches, so we couldn't swim (public pools are NOT the same as a lake, ocean, or private pool).  So we just sort of turned to video games (and to a lesser extent, books) to fill all our spare time.

And Ravy, can I just say that you're absolutely adorable when you gush about your girlfriend like that?  :3  I'm sure she's one lucky lady.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 12:54:39 am »

Aye, I understand the difference there.  Actually being a decent parent pretty much requires being a stable, well-adjusted adult to begin with, but it also helps there, too.  Just, I know there are people that actually believe the whole "only way to truly be happy/become an adult is to have kids" thing.  As the old adage goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat, mein freund.  ...Why you'd be skinning a fucking cat in the first place is beyond me, but you get the jist.

Close enough. Actually, the being a good parent and getting stable is a symbiotic relationship. As your priorities shift, it stabilizes you. The other people, well, some people are morons and I don't have much else to say about that.

(BTW, cat flesh can be very tasty)
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline The Aphotic Zone

• Neonate
  • Nomad has wandered far, but he's returned.
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 01:32:20 am »
'93 child. I used to play outside, then books and videogames. After learning to fly, roaming the radioactive wastes, dying and respawning a shitload of times, being introduced to magic in a hundred different universes, killing a god, and being the dragonborn, the playground and wooded areas...well, let's not kid ourselves.
"As a kid, I dreamed of a world that would resemble science fiction.  Instead, I got a world that resembles satire." - Whore of Spamylon

Art Vandelay

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 02:04:47 am »
I was born in '79, in New Jersey.  When I was in High School, this place was still open.  And if ever there was a rite of passage into manhood, it was going to Action Park and getting drunk, stoned, injured, sunburned, and nearly drowned...and coming home grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

Sure, some people got severely injured or even killed there.  But them's the breaks.  For the rest of us, the park's fearsome reputation and virtually lawless atmosphere reminded us that we were ALIVE.  I personally know a guy who won a sizeable settlement after breaking his shoulder on the infamous Alpine Slide.  It paid for most of his college tuition!

I pity this generation of NJ teenagers that will never know the wonderful, horrible, surreal place that was Action Park.
I remember when I was around 11-12, my Dad was working in Singapore, and as such I'd go over there and visit during school holidays. I remember there was a water park I went to a couple of times called Big Splash, and I tell you the water slides were a fucking death trap. I hear it's been made a lot safer in recent years, but back in 2002-03, the largest were around 7 storeys high and rather than a constant drop, it would briefly level out twice before the end. Naturally, you'd get some rather serious air on the way down and would end up rather worse for wear should you even clip the edges of the rather narrow slide channel upon landing. I saw one guy land slightly off-centre and ended up losing several square meters of skin as a result.

Funnily enough, the one time I injured myself at that place was in the changing room. I was climbing on the hooks like a moron, slipped and managed to impale my armpit. Fun times, that.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 04:37:54 am »
'93 child. I used to play outside, then books and videogames. After learning to fly, roaming the radioactive wastes, dying and respawning a shitload of times, being introduced to magic in a hundred different universes, killing a god, and being the dragonborn, the playground and wooded areas...well, let's not kid ourselves.

93... makes me feel old. 

Bah, why... back in my day, we played with sticks and rocks and bugs and dog crap!  AND WE WERE GRATEFUL!