Author Topic: Religious Affiliation?  (Read 50839 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Religious Affiliation?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 07:13:17 am »
Christian, specifically I am a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland.

I was raised as one and I still am a christian in my heart although I really don't feel that an organised church is necessary for my belief. I rarely go to church but I still pray often and I really think that my (and everyone elses as well) religious beliefs are a personal matter.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Jedi Knight

• Neonate
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 07:18:34 am »
Nominally Lutheran, like most other Norwegians. I was never able to believe in any of the official Lutheran dogma, though. Today I'm an atheist, even though I don't think the term can properly describe my unrelationship to faith and deities. I just don't bother, that's all.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 07:21:06 am »
Recovered Christian (United Methodist), now an atheist. 
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 08:13:09 am »
Ex christian, ex pagan, comfortable atheist.
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline Jebediah

• Official FSTDT Welcome Committee Head
  • The Beast
  • Winner.
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 09:16:11 am »
I was raised Catholic. I don't believe in anything, but I also don't care very much if I'm right or wrong.
Everybody's doin' the fish.

Offline Xotan

• Neonate
  • S'é mo chat luchtiarna an tí.
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 11:15:38 am »
Raised Catholic, became Anglican, now a sometimes prayerful agnostic.  I suppose I would like there to be a Good God who does care and love.  But the evidence is not there.
Is maith le mo chat na Francaigh!  Is ban-chat fhrancach í.

Offline PixelDolly

• Resident Nightmare Fetishist
  • Apprentice
  • Do you Think I'm Pretty?
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 11:30:37 am »
Raised Protestant Christian, Now agnostic.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 12:07:50 pm »
Atheist. I never really believed but only began identifying as an atheist in high school.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 12:09:09 pm »
Raised Lutheran, fell out pretty quick due to questioning with insufficient answers. On the theological line I'm agnostic, on the religious (more philosophical) line I'm a Taoist.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 12:12:06 pm »
Reposting from the board.

I went through a stage of fundamentalism when I discovered some High Octane Nightmare Fuel on the web regarding hell. I found everything about hell, god, and the entire morality of extreme Christianity abhorant, but the fear of hell and paranoia about Satan kept me from thinking logically so I was going back and forth with my beliefs. I kept coming up with some main page worthy theories regarding hell and the afterlife. It took me at least six months to get out of the mind fuck. With the exception of still having my fears of death "triggered", I am firmly in the "I don't know" camp. All theories regarding god and the afterlife are just that, theories. Like the OP, I take the diest stance, but I have doubts on that too.

So in short.

Liberal Catholic with some unpopular conservative political beliefs --> fundie nutjob who was afraid of hell --> Agnositc diest who's more Liberal politically.

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 12:23:56 pm »
Raised Episcopalian, tossed that to go became a pope/deacon of Discordia in highschool, now firmly entrenched in atheism.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 12:36:55 pm »
Raised as a Reform Jew, became Conservative in high school.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 12:40:03 pm »
Atheist, raised Anglican.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 01:27:24 pm »
Agnostic deist here.

I'm one of the fortunate ones who's never had a religious upbringing of any kind.  After a lengthy period of consideration, I came to the conclusion that the only two possibilities that make even a shred of sense to me are that God either doesn't exist, or doesn't care.  I've never had any real urge to narrow things down any further. *shrugs*

As to religion, I agree with the second U.S. President, John Adams, when he said that "this would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it".  In the interest of civility, though, I tend to leave the non-fundies alone for the most part. *shrugs again*

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 01:48:10 pm »
Christian. On the rare occasion when I go to church, it's Unitarian.