Author Topic: Missouri "nullification" law.  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Missouri "nullification" law.
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:45:03 pm »
http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/gop-led-missouri-gun-nullification-l

Basically: Missouri GOP is trying to pass a law that would negate all federal gun laws AND allow local law enforcement to arrest any federal agents trying to enforce those laws. The fact that this law is unconstitutional does not seem to bother them.

I wish they would just stop playing around and declare independence already. I mean it would save them a lot of trouble, they could still use the US military in their international dick waving contest to show who has the biggest bombs AND it would save USA money since fighting on homeground saves a lot of the expenses that come from having your army fight overseas. The savings in gas alone would be tremendous. AND the military-industrial complex would still get their money from guns, ammo and other equipment.

But wait, there's more in the article:

This legislation is neither new nor innovative. It was first proposed in the 1990s by Charles Duke, then a Republican state senator from Colorado
Duke once outraged constituents by asking a crowd how many thought the federal government was behind the Oklahoma City bombing. He told The Wall Street Journal that "an executive order is being prepared by President Clinton to suspend the Bill of Rights." He suggested that GOP House Speaker Newt Gingrich was involved in bugging his home. And he tried to broker an end to the Montana Freeman standoff.

Then came an epiphany. After a summer in a cabin hidden deep in the woods, Duke emerged to say "the Lord God almighty" had suggested that he drop out of politics and instead learn "how to survive in a country devoid of freedom."

Hey, if you replace Clinton with Obama and Ginrich with ...Obama, this sounds just like the stuff you hear today!

The only thing that suprised me with this story is that some of the democrats are also supporting this law. Things are getting quite interesting in USA. who knows, maybe we will balkanized USA in my lifetime. It often seems to make for an interesting game setting.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Missouri "nullification" law.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:37:41 pm »
Oh that's rich.

Ironbite-they honestly think the 10th Amendment grants them this power.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:54:42 am »
Because this worked out SO well in the 1800s.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 02:13:39 am »
Yes, because obviously the correct response to gun violence is MOAR GUNS 4 ERRYONE, as well as arresting people who try to enforce federal law.
gud 4 u
hav gold star
pleez go fuck urself
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:31:41 pm by SmokingDodongo »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:17:45 am »
I think the only way they could make this work is if it were limited to firearms made and kept within the state borders so they wouldn't fall under interstate commerce regulations. Maybe.

Mostly, I think this is largely symbolic and it just makes me sigh and shake my head.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:44:16 am »
Mostly, I think this is largely symbolic and it just makes me sigh and shake my head.

Symbolic, or an attempt to drive the country closer to a civil war. [Tinfoil-hat time] There might be people who hope it passes and that the leads to fight with federal agents and that the retaliation from Federal goverment (Likely to be one the lines of "Stop acting like morons and obey the constitution" but more diplomatic) will escalate to a civil war. [/Tinfoil-hat time]

Or it could just be that they don't think it will go far but think that their voters will like the attempt to show them Washington politicians what the people in Missouri think of their gun laws. Actually, pandering to gun-nuts and state sovereignity loonies is the likely cause. Doesn't matter wether this gets vetoed or repealed, they'll just start campaignin for a seat in Washington where they could affect the laws on federal level.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!