Author Topic: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins  (Read 36844 times)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2018, 08:15:00 pm »
You mean Russia stopped cutting them checks?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2018, 08:47:09 pm »
You mean Russia stopped cutting them checks?

They're being investigated in NY over exactly that.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2018, 09:07:19 pm »
I'm surprised they aren't raking in ad revenue from Remington et al thru NRA TV.  You mean to tell me that horribly-prepared knockoffs of other networks' shows, many of whom are tinged with equal amounts paranoia and utter insanity, don't draw ad bucks like flies to shit?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2018, 10:16:42 pm »
To some extent they're victims of their own success.

First, let's note that the NRA's positions are out of sync with the positions of NRA members, such as on background checks--NRA members support expanding them, the NRA opposes expansion. So they may be bleeding members over that.

But more importantly, mass shootings are the NRA's bread and butter--they're a lobby group for gun manufacturers, not gun owners, remember. Every time there's a mass shooting, the NRA puts out fearmongering about how the government's going to take your guns, and people get scared and buy more guns, which makes the gun makers richer. But there've been so many mass shootings, and so much inaction (except sometimes in states run by Republicans, where they end up loosening gun restrictions, I guess because they were stopping all those good guys from getting guns), that now people see a mass shooting and don't think that the government is going to take their guns, since the fact pattern is established that the government won't do that. Hence mass shootings no longer make money for the gun manufacturers the way they used to, and hence the NRA doesn't get as much money from said companies.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2018, 11:36:24 pm »
Thoughts and prayers, gentlemen, thoughts and prayers.

Also, the fact Rod Rosenstein needed to come out and so stringently deny the 25th Amendment Allegation probably says something.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2018, 11:44:49 pm »
Rosenstein's going to be gone very, very soon.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2018, 12:51:04 am »
...Would Trump dare get rid of him?

That would be tantamount to implicating himself even further and let Mueller do so much more.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2018, 01:56:35 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZuayQFD51w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZuayQFD51w</a>

Thanksgiving is going to be awkward at the Gosar place.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2018, 02:16:28 am »
...Would Trump dare get rid of him?

That would be tantamount to implicating himself even further and let Mueller do so much more.

He needs some pretext for getting rid of him, and this provides it.

Meanwhile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efTm9eZ1qvM

Sen. Ted Cruz and Rep. Beto O'Rourke debate.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2018, 03:43:09 am »
The Curator's corner show in NRA TV is worth watching but that's about it.

And even in that one some of the "famous guns" are stuff like "one of the many guns Ted Nugent owned" so it's a bit of a hit and miss.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2018, 05:42:12 am »
I wouldn't be shocked if they're bleeding support. My dad used to get their newsletter years and years ago, and even back then they got annoying begging for money all the time and making boneheaded decisions on what to push for. I can only imagine it's happening more now because they've clearly been getting worse as time progresses.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2018, 06:51:41 am »
They've had so much money coming in from corporations and Russia that there was no need to care about their members.

They still have the crazies on their side but now they are being investigated for the Russian money and the corporations can't unload all their guns on people because the president isn't a "CRAZY GUN-GRABBER DEMONCRAT" so they can't really use NRA to scare people into stockpiling guns either. Their main sources of income are in jeopardy and they can't really get money from members...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2018, 02:37:21 am »
538 put its House forecast up in mid-August; when it went up, IIRC they had the Democrats at 70% to take the House. Now it's over 80%.

The Senate forecast went up just two weeks ago; when it went up they had the Democrats--looking at the worst map in Senate history--at a 30% chance of taking control, and it's been creeping up since, being now at 32%.

I hope they can keep that momentum going into 2020 and hopefully 2022.

EDIT: And these have dropped to around 77% and 29% as of mid-afternoon PDT on October 2.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:37:38 pm by dpareja »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2018, 08:24:46 pm »
Best cancel midterm plans for the Democrats then.  We're not taking back anything and in fact the GOP is gonna just steam roll over everything, get a super majority and install the Trump family as puppet rulers of America forever and ever amen.

Ironbite-until, we all die in 2030 from a Super flu outbreak.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2018, 09:40:50 pm »
Best cancel midterm plans for the Democrats then.  We're not taking back anything and in fact the GOP is gonna just steam roll over everything, get a super majority and install the Trump family as puppet rulers of America forever and ever amen.

Ironbite-until, we all die in 2030 from a Super flu outbreak.

They're still ridiculously high for a Senate map that's the most tilted against one party in US history, and a House map that's more gerrymandered than at any time in US history. I was just noting that they'd slipped, that's all.