Author Topic: A theological question about Heaven and Hell  (Read 13701 times)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
A theological question about Heaven and Hell
« on: September 07, 2018, 02:05:23 pm »
Heaven is supposed to be a prefect paradise where those who go there are in a state of perfect bliss.

But here's the thing, the strongest emotion most people feel is love for their children (there are exceptions of course and that's fine, but still the majority).  But what if a parent gets into heaven but his or her child goes to hell?  How could the parents possibly experience perfect bliss if their child was being tortured in hell?  Wouldn't this be a deeply horrible and traumatic life for the parents?  Same for other close relationships: Lovers, siblings, friends etc how could anyone be happy in heaven if someone they cared about was in hell?  I ask you Jacob, could you be happy in heaven if someone you cared about was in the lake of fire?

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
  • The person who discovered England's true monarch
Re: A theological question about Heaven and Hell
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 02:10:29 pm »
Heaven is supposed to be a prefect paradise where those who go there are in a state of perfect bliss.

But here's the thing, the strongest emotion most people feel is love for their children (there are exceptions of course and that's fine, but still the majority).  But what if a parent gets into heaven but his or her child goes to hell?  How could the parents possibly experience perfect bliss if their child was being tortured in hell?  Wouldn't this be a deeply horrible and traumatic life for the parents?  Same for other close relationships: Lovers, siblings, friends etc how could anyone be happy in heaven if someone they cared about was in hell?  I ask you Jacob, could you be happy in heaven if someone you cared about was in the lake of fire?

The bible says that God will wipe away every tear, which means that God will make the parents happy even though their children are damned.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 02:33:24 pm »
Would you want that to happen Jacob?  Let's say it's you and your daughter is sent to hell, would you want God to force you to be happy while she suffers?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 02:48:53 pm »
So basically, in Heaven, you're lobotomized.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 03:10:11 pm »
Would you want that to happen Jacob?  Let's say it's you and your daughter is sent to hell, would you want God to force you to be happy while she suffers?

Of course I wouldn’t want that to happen. I would want her to be in heaven too which is why I would strive to raise my daughter to be a good Christian to prevent that from happening.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 03:18:26 pm »
But what if you failed?  Would you want God to take away your love for her and force you to be happy with mind control, or whatever you think he's going to do?  Because I can't see many parents finding that idea good.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 03:52:56 pm »
But what if you failed?  Would you want God to take away your love for her and force you to be happy with mind control, or whatever you think he's going to do?  Because I can't see many parents finding that idea good.

Well she would suffer less in hell knowing that I am not suffering because of her suffering.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 04:41:43 pm »
Or she would suffer more knowing that you can't even feel for her suffering.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 06:20:07 pm »

The bible says that God will wipe away every tear, which means that God will make the parents happy even though their children are damned.
So, God is this...

Join the perfect society but surrender control of your consciousness.

And does this...

Billy used to cry all the time, now he can't cry at all!

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 06:59:14 pm »
Or she would suffer more knowing that you can't even feel for her suffering.

Ok so while I wouldn’t want to have my mind changed to not make me upset about her suffering, it is what God does in order to make heaven a happy place. I can’t go against it because God is God.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 07:13:32 pm »
So you're fine with not being you in Heaven, got it.

As for God being God, your "God" is a monster who doesn't deserve your respect, never mind worship.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 10:37:48 pm »
This is why if Christianity were actually real, Satan would be the good guy while God is the most unwiped anus of them all.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 07:20:20 am »
This is why if Christianity were actually real, Satan would be the good guy while God is the most unwiped anus of them all.

But Satan invented evil and is therefore responsible for all the evil that happens in the world.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 09:01:27 am »
But Satan invented evil and is therefore responsible for all the evil that happens in the world.
Even if that were true, God created Satan with the ability to create evil while knowing full well what the end result was going to be.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 10:12:31 am »
Even if that were true, God created Satan with the ability to create evil while knowing full well what the end result was going to be.

Satan had the free will to chose whether to be good or evil. He chose evil.