Author Topic: God wants you to stay in an abusive relationship, apparently.  (Read 1648 times)

Offline KingOfRhye

• Pope
Not the first time I've said this recently, not by a long shot, but if FSTDT was still up, I'd have to submit some of this...

I like looking at the "What's new in the Clogosphere" section at RationalWiki from time to time, I've even submitted a few things to FSTDT that I first read there, but this one really caught my attention.  If I remember right, there's been a few things from "Biblical Gender Roles" on FSTDT, haven't there?

https://biblicalgenderroles.com/2018/03/01/why-god-wants-you-to-stay-in-an-abusive-relationship/

Anyway, a few of my "favorites" from this long piece:

It is the civil government’s job to ENFORCE God’s moral law – not to MAKE moral law on its own. Murder is not wrong because the United States government or our State governments say it is wrong.  Murder is wrong because God says it is wrong.

How about "murder is wrong because it's doing harm to people like you who you have empathy for"?  And, they're basically saying the ideal government is a Christian theocracy, aren't they?

This is what our current US Justice Department definitions of domestic abuse do – they literally attempt to add to God’s moral law and in effect nullify God’s moral law in regard to this issue of domestic abuse. With that said I will briefly address some of this addition to and nullification of God’s law in current US Justice Department definitions of domestic abuse which you can find at https://www.justice.gov/ovw/domestic-violence. Also keep in mind that all these definitions have to do with domestic violence – meaning what is considered abuse in the home between members of the home.

.....But again overall the biggest problem with the government’s definition of physical abuse is that its definition negates physical discipline in the home which God allows.

....But really the heart of this definition (the government's definition of non-consensual sex as abuse) is directed at husbands in regard to how they engage in sexual activity with their wives.  And when applied to the husband/wife relationship this definition of sexual abuse for the most part nullifies God’s Word.

....God considers it economic abuse when a man forces his wife to economically independent of him, not when he forces his wife to be economically dependent on him.

And yes husbands under God’s law can absolutely forbid their wives from going to college or seeking careers as wives are to be subject their husbands in EVERYTHING as the Church submits to Christ in everything (Ephesians 5:24).

Also as far as household finances go – whether a husband allows his wife to work or not all the financial decision making comes under his direction.  If he wants to take away his wife’s ATM card he can do that under God’s law.

Tl;dr:  Don't listen to the government, God says it's cool to beat your kids and your wife, rape your wife, and not allow her to have any money or a job!

Offline BobRumba

• God
Re: God wants you to stay in an abusive relationship, apparently.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 11:57:42 am »
It's terrifying to think that when you put all your trust in a holy book and believe all the threats it makes, some people will abandon all sense of human responsibility.
Banana Monster ne répond plus!

Offline Ambulance Chaser

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 01:44:03 pm »
Who says it’s the civil government’s job to enforce God’s law?

Offline KingOfRhye

• Pope
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 02:54:00 pm »
Who says it’s the civil government’s job to enforce God’s law?

The Bible, according to these guys anyway.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 01:08:33 am »
"Render unto Cesar what is Cesar's" apparently holds no meaning to fundies.