Author Topic: Rolling Stone Glorifies The Boston Bomber  (Read 21849 times)

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
Re: Rolling Stone Glorifies The Boston Bomber
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2013, 05:48:44 am »
No, it's more along the lines of "It's been shown, no matter how much TIM tries to deny it, that this is a bad, bad thing that causes problems (and seriously, how can anyone support fame for murderers?)"

It would be infamy and it is actually a good thing.  A person can't learn anything from someone they no nothing about.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2013, 11:11:09 am »
No, it's more along the lines of "It's been shown, no matter how much TIM tries to deny it, that this is a bad, bad thing that causes problems (and seriously, how can anyone support fame for murderers?)"

It would be infamy and it is actually a good thing.  A person can't learn anything from someone they no nothing about.
Because as we all know, if we see someone as infamous, everyone sees them as infamous. There's no glorification or fetishization of terrorists or criminals at all. Serial killers don't have fangirls, nope. Wait, no, that other thing. The exact opposite of all that. That's reality.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2013, 11:33:06 am »

Because as we all know, if we see someone as infamous, everyone sees them as infamous. There's no glorification or fetishization of terrorists or criminals at all. Serial killers don't have fangirls, nope. Wait, no, that other thing. The exact opposite of all that. That's reality.

And we know it's our mission to fight the inevitable by censoring magazine covers.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2013, 11:55:56 am »

And we know it's our mission to fight the inevitable by censoring magazine covers.
Nothing can be proven to be inevitable. It's better to try to fight and maybe save some lives than to roll over because it makes them money.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2013, 01:01:07 pm »

Nothing can be proven to be inevitable. It's better to try to fight and maybe save some lives than to roll over because it makes them money.

It's better to not completely fucking overreact to a magazine cover just because it might contribute in some way to the death of someone down the line.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2013, 02:43:53 pm »

It's better to not completely fucking overreact to a magazine cover just because it might contribute in some way to the death of someone down the line.
It's better to do everything you can to prevent the death of others.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2013, 03:02:21 pm »

Car accidents kill way more people by any objective measurement. I don't see you arguing that we should outlaw private transportation.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2013, 03:54:59 pm »
*sips soda*

This is kind of an argument-go-round, isn't it?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2013, 04:40:09 pm »
*sips soda*

This is kind of an argument-go-round, isn't it?

I have a problem. I keep trying to pull away from this thread, but it won't let me.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2013, 05:58:37 pm »
The gravitational pull of all the stupid over a non-issue is too much captain!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2013, 07:03:07 pm »
Oh, that explains why my soda flew out of my hands, into the center of the topic, then was crushed into a single atom.

...Oh.  Oh shit.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2013, 09:54:31 pm »

Car accidents kill way more people by any objective measurement. I don't see you arguing that we should outlaw private transportation.
Private transportation is useful. Making killers famous? Not so much.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2013, 10:56:16 pm »
Hardly. That's not even addressing my point. I'm not talking about their race or anything. My point is you put a terrorist on the cover of Rolling Stone. Why not put them on the cover of People and Us? After all, if it's fine for them to be on Rolling Stone, why not there? I think they should be on no magazine covers. None. Zip. Zero. Nada. Not Time. Not Newsweek. Most certainly not fucking Rolling Stone.

So your argument has boiled down to "I don't agree with it so it should not be."
Psychopaths do not act in rational, predictable manner because they are detached from reality.

How much are you going to willfully ignore? Let’s go down the list:

Dave Cullen, author of the Columbine book you cite as proof, specifically created the term "normal lens” to conceptualize that psychopaths do not act in a predictable manner because they are detached from reality.

The rest of the entire chapter aptly titled Psychopath of the Columbine book you cite as proof.

The entirety of Axis I from the DSM-IV onward which spells out in great detail what constitutes psychosis and how it differentiates from other psychological disorders.

As it often does, FAIR hits the nail on the head

http://www.fair.org/blog/2013/07/25/the-rolling-stone-cover-and-the-new-ideological-threat/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-rolling-stone-cover-and-the-new-ideological-threat
Hardly. That's not even addressing my point. I'm not talking about their race or anything. My point is you put a terrorist on the cover of Rolling Stone. Why not put them on the cover of People and Us? After all, if it's fine for them to be on Rolling Stone, why not there? I think they should be on no magazine covers. None. Zip. Zero. Nada. Not Time. Not Newsweek. Most certainly not fucking Rolling Stone.
Which is not censorship because?
It's not government mandated. It would be corporations having tact. However, tact is dead. The almighty dollar killed it. I'm glad to see you support the pursuit of money over any tact or sanity.
Censorship requires government mandate? I call bullshit and challenge you to demonstrate how and why ever entity other than government inherently cannot censor.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:06:40 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:00 pm »

All that does happen, but it is not caused by a picture on the cover of a magazine.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth