Author Topic: Sterling threatens to sue the NBA  (Read 20795 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Sterling threatens to sue the NBA
« on: May 16, 2014, 05:50:01 pm »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140515/donald-sterling-nba-la-clippers-adam-silver/

SI.com has learned that Clippers owner Donald Sterling has hired prominent antitrust litigator Maxwell Blecher, who has written a letter to NBA executive vice president and general counsel Rick Buchanan threatening to sue the NBA. The letter, sources tell SI.com, claims that Sterling has done nothing wrong and that "no punishment is warranted" for Sterling. Blecher also tells Buchanan that Sterling will not pay the $2.5 million fine, which is already past due. Blecher ends the letter by saying this controversy "will be adjudicated."

Blecher's letter makes clear what many have anticipated: Donald Sterling will not go down without a fight and that he is taking active steps toward litigation. A letter of this type is considered a precursor to the filing of a lawsuit. Blecher's letter offers no ambiguity about Sterling's intentions.

"We reject your demand for payment," the letter tells Buchanan, who on May 14 informed Sterling by letter that he must pay the $2.5 million fine.

This case is gonna get laughed out of court faster than you can say "Nancy Stouffer".

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Sterling threatens to sue the NBA
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 08:53:45 pm »
How adorable.

Ironbite-he does realize that the NBA can just yank his team from the league right?

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 04:23:00 pm »
Should a person's opinions -- even when repugnant -- be punishable?     
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 04:45:15 pm »

When it violates the bylaws of the organization he's part of? absolutely.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 05:38:06 pm »

That is the 64 million dollar question, isn't it?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 08:24:24 pm »
Remember kids.  You're free to say and think whatever you want but you're not free from the consequences of those actions.

Ironbite-something today's rich seem to think they're above.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 08:35:51 pm »
How adorable.

Ironbite-he does realize that the NBA can just yank his team from the league right?

They can, but they need the other owners support.  That being said a judge could issue an injunction to stop any action by the NBA until the lawsuit is settled.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 10:23:55 pm »
Remember kids.  You're free to say and think whatever you want but you're not free from the consequences of those actions.

Ironbite-something today's rich seem to think they're above.

That literally has no meaning, as has been pointed out ad nauseum before.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 10:50:44 pm »
Really?  You wanna put your money where your mouth is?

Ironbite-cause I'm seeing a bunch of people suffering for saying stupid shit.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 10:52:00 pm »

Why? What gives moral force to the bylaws of the NBA, to the point that they can supersede the principle of freedom of opinion?
Σא

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 11:04:52 pm »
Money.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 11:26:16 pm »
Organisations and corporations PR is affected by the opinions of the people who represent them. Even if person X has the right to hold ignorant or bigoted opinions if those opinions harm their employer then it is understandable that the employer wishes to fire them to save their own face and to prove that they do not support those opinions.

I am very much against thought crimes and feel that people like Sterling should not get any LEGAL troubles for having horrible opinions but I understand that NBA is trying to save face to make sure those precious dollars keep coming and that is a different matter.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 11:27:12 pm »

Why? What gives moral force to the bylaws of the NBA, to the point that they can supersede the principle of freedom of opinion?

The fact that he agreed to abide by those bylaws upon becoming the owner of an NBA team?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 11:39:03 pm »
People agree to all sorts of things and we don't always assume they are morally bound by them. As an obviously-not-comparable example, an employee might agree to almost any terms if it's the only way to get a job, but we still expect the government to limit the sort of thing an employer can demand in a contract.
Σא

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 12:14:59 am »
Organisations and corporations PR is affected by the opinions of the people who represent them. Even if person X has the right to hold ignorant or bigoted opinions if those opinions harm their employer then it is understandable that the employer wishes to fire them to save their own face and to prove that they do not support those opinions.

I am very much against thought crimes and feel that people like Sterling should not get any LEGAL troubles for having horrible opinions but I understand that NBA is trying to save face to make sure those precious dollars keep coming and that is a different matter.

BTW...what law did Sterling violate by saying he didn't want his girlfriend having black friends in the owners box?  None actually.  What he is being hit with is a violation of NBA bylaws.  A corporation, because that's what the NBA is, is saying that this is not appropriate and has moved to correct the behavior by removing Mr. Sterling.  There is no law saying that you have to own a basketball team just like there's no law stating you have to have a restaurant where you can say the n-word as much as you like.  I think that's what has most people up in arms.  They truly think corporations have in fact moved in and taken over America which is simply not true.  What we are seeing is corporations deciding the bottom line is being harmed by someone having racist opinions/behaviors and are moving to distance themselves from said individuals.  I am not seeing anyone getting in any LEGAL trouble here.  What I am seeing are people getting hit right in the purse where it hurts them the most.

Ironbite-and that's kinda refreshing.