Author Topic: Bermuda reverses same-sex marriage  (Read 1078 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Bermuda reverses same-sex marriage
« on: February 09, 2018, 03:57:29 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/bermuda-same-sex-marriage-1.4526889

A Bermuda court had some months ago ordered that same-sex couples could get married on the island, but the legislature has overruled them to instead create domestic partnership status for same-sex unions.

The British government, while it holds veto power over all decisions made by the Bermudan legislature and government, has declined to intervene in what it views as a purely domestic matter for the self-governing island.

Same-sex couples who legally married in the time between the court decision and the passage of this law will remain so.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Bermuda reverses same-sex marriage
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:48:28 pm »
Teresa May's moral cowardice noted!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 11:30:28 pm »

I actually agree with the UK's decision not to intervene (though not with the Bermudan legislature's decision). It would undermine the principle of domestic self-governance that the UK extends to its overseas possessions for the UK Parliament to overrule the local government.

There are cases where I think the intervention would be appropriate (for instance, if Bermuda moved to criminalize gay sex again--it was legalized in 1994, but the age of consent for male homosexual relationships is higher than that for heterosexual relationships or female homosexual relationships; as near as I can tell lesbian sex was never illegal, because of course), but this isn't one of them.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 06:45:29 am »
Honestly, If there's one thing I wholeheartedly support, it's politicians who don't try and enforce morality. It does far more harm than good overall.