Author Topic: Planet alignment bullshit  (Read 4769 times)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Planet alignment bullshit
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:32:12 am »
So I walk into class today and everyone's talking about these brooms standing up because the planets are aligned. Even when I pulled up sources that said planet alignment is bullshit (it can't happen the way they think at all) they responded with, "well you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet".

Their source is apparently Facebook... REALLY! I'm normally pissed off by the massive stupidity and ignorance around me but this makes me RAGE because of the comment I mentioned.

This might have to be moved to The Angry Dome, but this section seemed more appropriate.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
Re: Planet alignment bullshit
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 05:03:37 pm »
Well for one thing, the planets are not currently aligned.  And for another, even if they were, the gravitational forces involved would not be enough to influence jack-shit here on Earth.

So, yeah, absolute bullshit.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 05:12:59 pm »
Well for one thing, the planets are not currently aligned.  And for another, even if they were, the gravitational forces involved would not be enough to influence jack-shit here on Earth.

I've also been told by other people that it's not planetary alignment, it's because it's the summer solstice... Do you see what's wrong with that?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 06:10:14 pm »
Other than that we're approaching the spring equinox and the summer solstice is still more than three months away?  And that even then, being aligned with the planets still wouldn't mean a fucking thing other than summer is here in the northern hemisphere. 

Have I missed anything?

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 09:32:53 pm »
The fact that a lot of the objects people mention can easily be balanced at any time, but aren't because no one goes around every day, trying to balance brooms and the like.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 09:55:50 pm »
I've balanced a broom...  but it required adjustment on my part to keep the balance, which I consider par for the course and nothing to do with any weird planetary hoo-ha. 
Now... if it balanced itself without my having to adjust with it...  I'd be looking for my chairs to be stacking up in intricate patterns.

They're heeeere.

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 10:07:01 pm »
YOU ONLY MOVED THE HEAD STONES!

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:10:18 pm »
YOU DIDN'T MOVE THE BODIES!

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:16:05 pm »
This thread... is clean.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 10:18:42 pm »
NOT!  *All hell breaks loose*

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 02:36:11 am »

I've also been told by other people that it's not planetary alignment, it's because it's the summer solstice... Do you see what's wrong with that?

Yeah, I don't get what the alignment would mean, unless this "solstice" stuff means...

...OH MY GOD.  NIGHTMARE MOON IS GONNA BRING ABOUT ETERNAL NIGHT!  THE PROPHECIES ARE TRUE!!!

*ahem*  Yeah, sorry.  I just couldn't help but mock this.  Doesn't individual gravity of the planets and even combined gravity mean fuck all compared to the sun's gravitational well?  That is, even if the planets did "align" in any meaningful sense, so what?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 08:55:00 am »

Yeah, I don't get what the alignment would mean, unless this "solstice" stuff means...

...OH MY GOD.  NIGHTMARE MOON IS GONNA BRING ABOUT ETERNAL NIGHT!  THE PROPHECIES ARE TRUE!!!

*ahem*  Yeah, sorry.  I just couldn't help but mock this.  Doesn't individual gravity of the planets and even combined gravity mean fuck all compared to the sun's gravitational well?  That is, even if the planets did "align" in any meaningful sense, so what?

Right, B-Man.  While the planets do exert some measure of gravitational effect on the sun (and each other to some small degree,) the only noticeable effect is a small "wobble" in the sun.  That's how a lot of exo-planets have been found over the past 20 years or so.

Jupiter, being the largest and most massive of the planets in our solar system (it has more mass than all the other bodies in the solar system combined, excluding the sun of course) has a far greater gravity well than any other planet.  That is why the asteroid belt is between the orbits of Jupiter and Mars; Jupiter has "corralled" them into their orbits and they have been effectively neutralized between the gravities of Jupiter and the sun.  Jupiter has a total of 64 known moons,  nearly half of which are thought to be 'captured" bodies which strayed too close to the planet.  Some of them orbit in retro-grade, meaning they orbit in the opposite direction than they should.  Of that total, two of them were discovered as recently as 2010, so there may be more we haven't found yet.  It has been speculated in fact, that Jupiter is a failed star, lacking enough mass, therefore gravity, to have enough internal pressures to cause combustion.

However, even with Jupiter's massive gravity, if all the planets in the solar system were to align on the same side of the sun, there wouldn't be enough of a pull to cause any more than a little bit larger bulge than normal on that side of the sun.   However, for all the planets to be in alignment is an extremely rare occurrence.   
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:18:08 pm by Star Cluster »

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 09:35:42 am »
Trivia time! The specific word for planets lining up is "syzygy". (There's some Scrabble points for you.)

I also thought of this:

"In 18 years precisely
The planets will align
Ever so nicely

The time to act will be at hand
Unleash the Titans
Your brazen band

Then the once proud Zeus will finally fall
And you, Hades,
Will rule all

A word of caution to this tale:
Should Hercules fight
You will fail"

...That's all I got. It was very Tai of me to say so.
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 11:36:36 am »
...It has been speculated in fact, that Jupiter is a failed star, lacking enough mass, therefore gravity, to have enough internal pressures to cause combustion.

I quite like that speculation too, about Jupiter.  It does seem to fit its characteristics.  Just think... we came THIS close to having a binary solar system.  Thanks for the PHAIL Jupiter! :p

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 10:08:38 am »
...It has been speculated in fact, that Jupiter is a failed star, lacking enough mass, therefore gravity, to have enough internal pressures to cause combustion.

I quite like that speculation too, about Jupiter.  It does seem to fit its characteristics.  Just think... we came THIS close to having a binary solar system.  Thanks for the PHAIL Jupiter! :p
Due to the incredible specifics needed to have life born on this planet, a binary system might have thrown something out of whack and made Earth inhospitable to our form of life. While that might have been a boon to the planet itself, I am quite selfish and happy to exist, ergo, I'm thankful Jupiter didn't mess up the planet.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...