Author Topic: Catholic Archdiocese reduce teens to anger and tears  (Read 9035 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Catholic Archdiocese reduce teens to anger and tears
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:56:00 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-becker/minnesota-catholic-schools-marriage-lectures_b_1402617.html

Catholic schools in Minnesota had a mandatory ant-gay lectures by it's Archdiocese which basically amounted to the church emotionally bullying the teens and trying make them vote in a constitutional ban on marriage equality:

"The first three-quarters of the presentation were really good," said Bliss. "They talked about what is marriage and how marriage helps us as a society. Then it started going downhill when they started talking about single parents and adopted kids. They didn't directly say it, but they implied that kids who are adopted or live with single parents are less than kids with two parents of the opposite sex. They implied that a 'normal' family is the best family."

"When they finally got to gay marriage, [students] were really upset," said Bliss. "You could look around the room and feel the anger. My friend who is a lesbian started crying, and people were crying in the bathroom."

Telling the teens they are aren't normal and their relationship with their parents are not good because they're single parents, adopted, or same sex. Yeah that will show them that the church really cares for them.  ::)

Of course the school didn't take the teens side:

Bliss was one of several students who stood up to argue with the representatives from the archdiocese. One girl held up a sign that said, "I love my moms."

Mike O'Keefe, a spokesman for the school, said that other students were mad that some of the students spoke out and thought that some of them were "rude" to the visitors from the archdiocese.

"We weren't being rude," countered Lydia Hannah, another student who spoke out. "But people were upset, and we weren't just going to sit there."

Religious schools, this is why I hate them.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: Catholic Archdiocese reduce teens to anger and tears
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 11:04:19 pm »
Look on the bright side, those kids are one step closer to leaving the RCC. The more they're exposed to this kind of hatred, especially from the unapologetic geezers who run the cult, the more they'll realize that the Church is a horrible institution that doesn't deserve any kind of support.

So, on the (very) off chance any of those students read this: congrats on your first step away from the Cult of Bigotry. We are here for you, and we will accept you as you are, regardless of how or who you love. We also promise not to touch your children or your pocketbooks, or (usually) what to believe to be a good person. we trust that you can figure that out yourselves; it looks like you already have.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline TPFKADF

• Neonate
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 12:31:12 am »
This is just nasty.

One of the greatest contributing factors which led me to abandon my lifelong Catholic faith was the Church's shamelessly abhorrent treatment of LGBTQ people (piled on with the hypocrisy of having spent decades covering up actually malicious sexual behavior involving children among the church's own priests). How could a Church that claims to be all about Christian love say and do things that could be nothing but hateful toward an entire group of people, especially vulnerable young people.

Even the softer "love the sinner, not the saint" "it's okay to be gay as long as you don't act on it" line I've heard a lot from Catholics attempting to defend the Church's doctrine couldn't really fly with me any more...how could the Church tell a young gay person that he or she will for the rest of his or her life never be allowed to experience falling in love with another human being...experiencing love is part of being human. (and again, perhaps being forced into unhealthy lifelong solitude and celibacy was part of why priests ended up engaging in perverse sexual behavior...)

On a personal note, I will say though, to their credit, the Jesuit Catholic schools I've attended for high school and college are far more accepting of the LGBTQ community than the Catholic Church as a whole is; I'm grateful I've never had to attend the sort of reactionary Catholic school I've only heard horror stories about.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 01:41:24 am »
Wow.....it's like the line "Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged" just...flys over their heads.

Ironbite-dispicable and just shows why the RCC is so out of touch with reality.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 03:08:39 pm »
Dear RCC: You Fail Compassion Forever
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 04:23:39 pm »
Even the softer "love the sinner, not the saint" "it's okay to be gay as long as you don't act on it" line I've heard a lot from Catholics attempting to defend the Church's doctrine couldn't really fly with me any more...how could the Church tell a young gay person that he or she will for the rest of his or her life never be allowed to experience falling in love with another human being...experiencing love is part of being human. (and again, perhaps being forced into unhealthy lifelong solitude and celibacy was part of why priests ended up engaging in perverse sexual behavior...)

Yeah, they say the same thing about sins like "lust".  The Catholics try to sound more "compassionate", but ultimately, when you take a look at their list of mortal sins, it all sounds so manipulative.  Here's their take on homosexuality.

Homosexual acts—Although it remains to be determined if homosexuality is a genetic, social or personal stigma, homosexual acts are condemned by God and can NEVER be approved by the Church (1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Genesis 19:1-29, Romans 1:24-27 and CCC 2357). If homosexuals are born with the condition, then they are called to live a life of Christian purity and chastity for the greater love of Christ. Such people can experience a life of trial, which all others must treat with compassion and sensitivity.

What a condescending load of tripe!  What's scary is they put this right under the sin of "rape".  I'm not gay, but if I was, I would be raising all kinds of hell.

Catholic fundies are so much different than the majority of the ones on here.  When I think of the typical protestant fundie, I think of some nutjob on the street holding signs.  Their hatred is obvious.  The typical Catholic fundie are more like that overbearing mother who's devoted to her kids, but extremely strict.  When her kids break her rules or want to branch off, she will break down crying, mentioning all she goes for her kids and how ungrateful they are.  It's not really hateful, but extremely manipulative which makes it all the more rage enducing.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 05:19:10 pm »
Can this be the same warm, caring, love-spreading RCC that I told to go fork itself 50 years ago?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 06:09:21 pm »

Yeah, they say the same thing about sins like "lust".  The Catholics try to sound more "compassionate", but ultimately, when you take a look at their list of mortal sins, it all sounds so manipulative.  Here's their take on homosexuality.

Homosexual acts—Although it remains to be determined if homosexuality is a genetic, social or personal stigma, homosexual acts are condemned by God and can NEVER be approved by the Church (1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Genesis 19:1-29, Romans 1:24-27 and CCC 2357). If homosexuals are born with the condition, then they are called to live a life of Christian purity and chastity for the greater love of Christ. Such people can experience a life of trial, which all others must treat with compassion and sensitivity.

What a condescending load of tripe!  What's scary is they put this right under the sin of "rape".  I'm not gay, but if I was, I would be raising all kinds of hell.

Catholic fundies are so much different than the majority of the ones on here.  When I think of the typical protestant fundie, I think of some nutjob on the street holding signs.  Their hatred is obvious.  The typical Catholic fundie are more like that overbearing mother who's devoted to her kids, but extremely strict.  When her kids break her rules or want to branch off, she will break down crying, mentioning all she goes for her kids and how ungrateful they are.  It's not really hateful, but extremely manipulative which makes it all the more rage enducing.

That article says incest is a mortal sin. Lot was considered a good person and so were many others. Fucking sins, how do they work?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 06:14:09 pm »
I know that they're not technically Catholic, but even some of the more fundamentalist Christians I know believe that a person's sexuality is none of their business. Even if they consider it a sin, it's something that they can only work out between them and God. They don't like it how Christian leaders are singling out homosexuality as some sort of unforgivable sin, because they believe anyone who accepts Jesus and strives to live by his example ("Let he who is without sin cast the first stone") will go to Heaven. It's not an ethic that I completely agree with, but it does go to show that even rather primitive religions have the capacity to change their message to something relatively positive.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 07:35:47 pm »
S'what ya get when you subscribe to the "salvation by faith" idiocy.  Yes, as an atheist, I don't subscribe to ANY form of spiritual salvation, but at least salvation by acts makes some kinda sense.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 07:59:05 pm »
So disagreeing with assholes who are attempting to reduce teends to tears = disrespect?  Try that around any of my gay or lesbian friends and I'll Show You some God-damned Disrespect!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline TPFKADF

• Neonate
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 10:18:43 pm »

Yeah... well, that's the Catholic Church for ya...you're not going to find bishops standing around holding "God Hates Fags" signs... but they'll promote an agenda just as hateful from behind the scenes, employing the immense institutional strength and resources of the Church, and they'll finish off by coating the whole operation in the language of Christian compassion.

I really do think that the Catholic Church has been overreaching lately though with its incursions into civil policy matters, whether on contraception or LGBTQ rights...even a lot of devout Catholics are turned off by this.

Obviously the sort of dehumanizing doctrine you quoted there can be quite damaging to a young person growing up Catholic who's suddenly realizing (s)he is one of those awful homosexuals who must have done something wrong to be afflicted with such a 'condition'.

Offline gomer21xx

• Pope
  • Squick responsibly!
    • RT Gomer Productions
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 12:17:22 am »
Interestingly enough, I read this story on this week's Thespian Talk.

The short version?  Fuck these guys.
I'm looking for patrons!  How can you help?  Check out my Patreon page! =)

As always, you can catch my podcasts and videos at RT Gomer Productions!

Quote from: TheL
I've seen so many tits, they've blended into one enormous mega boob!

Quote from: The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist
Dude, when Vox Day was born, he shot out the hospital window and over an entire tank of sharks.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 04:37:39 am »
Not what I expected from the headline then.  ::) Still a dick move entirely befitting of the Vaticunts.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 11:35:04 am »
So disagreeing with assholes who are attempting to reduce teends to tears = disrespect?  Try that around any of my gay or lesbian friends and I'll Show You some God-damned Disrespect!

And that's what I mean when I say Catholic fundies are manipulative bastards.  They are purity and jerk sues abuse people using sugary malice.  They appear as the "good moral Catholics" while making the kids or those they are abusing feel like dirty rotten sinners.  The kids can't voice any complaints or objections without being seen as "disrespectful.  After all, these adults are "devoting their time" to teach these kids about marriage. 

How do I know this?  I was raised Catholic and some of the people I went to church with were very good at this.  They are very good at blowing any offense out of proportion to make themselves look like the victim.  Simple things kids do can earn you lectures.  Non Catholics and even non religious types are good at this too, but Catholics are skilled at this.  They don't call it Catholic guilt for nothing!