Author Topic: Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 159204 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #750 on: June 03, 2017, 08:57:34 am »
I'm so used to perusing these forums on my tablet that I'm having a hard time adjusting to all this screen real estate...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

pyro

« Reply #751 on: June 05, 2017, 12:33:01 pm »
Someone should write a sci-fi short story about this:

Maria Templeton is commonly credited with inventing the time machine. MacAfee Black, a time-machine technician who lived before this myth had been disproven*, wanted to meet the now-dead inventor, traveled back to when she would have started working on it. Turns out, she had no designs for anything of the sort, but after MacAfee basically blurted out how it all worked, she managed to build one.

Nowadays, technologies that nobody actually came up with are pretty common. And they all seem to be moving society in the same direction.

* Time machines can move you backward, not forward, because time travel that goes both ways is utterly story-breaking.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #752 on: June 14, 2017, 01:46:46 pm »
What I want to do right now is challenge Ken Ham to a public debate on creationism.  Then when the debate starts, I'd show up dressed as the Babylionian high priest of Bel-Marduk and use his own talking points to prove the Enuma Elish is literally true.  Then when he goes "That pagan stuff isn't real, genesis is" I'd look him in the eye and ask "How do you know?  Were you there?"

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #753 on: June 24, 2017, 03:06:14 am »
The reason that any third party in USA always seem to hurt the Democrats is that what with the politics in USA being so right wing, the moderate-right Democrats are usually closer to the third parties than the Republicans.

The GOP doesn't have to compete over Bernie voters because anyone voters he could get are the people who otherwise would have settled for the Dems as the closest to what they want.

The only exception I can think of were the Tea party who were further right than the Dems but the GOP masterfully managed to take them in to their party and rather than bleeding out voters actually became stronger.

EDIT:

Kids were watching Peabody and Herman cartoon (or something like that.)

I didn't pay much attention but one character seemed like a copy of Trump with slightly better hair. He was chased off from the scene by screaming robot fans. (not "blow some air" fans, but like android fanboy/girls.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 04:08:15 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #754 on: August 03, 2017, 11:19:42 pm »
Can women crush and snort birth control and have it still be effective?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #755 on: August 04, 2017, 12:27:41 am »
Only one way to find out.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #756 on: August 04, 2017, 03:16:42 am »
Can women crush and snort birth control and have it still be effective?

Can guys crush and snort a condom and have it still be effective?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #757 on: August 04, 2017, 03:17:14 am »
Again, only one way to find out.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #758 on: August 04, 2017, 10:18:22 am »
Art remember to write it down ok?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #759 on: August 04, 2017, 10:23:52 am »
Strictly speaking, it's already written down.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #760 on: August 09, 2017, 02:51:05 am »
So I just saw a performance of The Merchant of Venice that really played up the anti-Semitism and played down the romance aspects.

What does it say about me that the thing that stuck with me most was Portia's line about how letting Shylock take the money would set a bad precedent... but Italy uses a civil code rather than common law, so prior decisions are only of informative, rather than precedential, value?

And, more than that, what does it say that I've been thinking about how it would change the ending, and have come to the conclusion that the answer is "not much at all"?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #761 on: August 14, 2017, 10:22:25 am »
Whenever I hear news story where someone is speaking for KKK it's David Duke. ...But they also always mention that he is the former leader of the Klan.

So... Who is currently in charge? Is the current leader afraid to reveal his/her identity? Is it still David Duke but he just doesn't want to admit it? Or is it Donald Trump?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #762 on: August 14, 2017, 12:26:08 pm »
If memory serves, the Klan is actually quite fragmented and scattered.  Duke might've been the last leader when they were unified, but now I believe that there's multiple regional leaders, since they all broke off from one another following some internal dispute or other.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #763 on: August 14, 2017, 02:06:29 pm »
The internal dispute being David Duke is an idiot.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #764 on: August 18, 2017, 05:06:04 am »
I am glad to wake up in the morning with a full length mirror next to my bed, so I can wake up to chiseled perfection every morning.

Nothing gets me ready for bed quite like another abdominal workout. I did 100 reverse crunches, 75 normal crunches, 50 toe touches and 25 toe raises tonight.

In order to be a Hollywood stud, I need a handsome, presentable face and a muscular, tight core. Not everyone has that, but it definitely helps those that do have that.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer