Author Topic: Australian Murdoch rag says democracy is bad when conservatives lose election  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
The Herald Sun, another screaming headlines tabloid from the Murdoch stable has suggested that this whole "democracy" thing is a rather bad idea.

Massive electoral swings in Queensland and Victoria, plus leadership instability in Canberra, suggest democracy isn’t working right now. It’s time we temporarily suspended the democratic process and installed a benign dictatorship to make tough but necessary decisions.

He's referring to Tony "climate change is crap" Abbot's increasing unpopularity and the fact that he's been hamstrung from being Australia's Margaret Thatcher because of people in the houses of parliament that pesky Australian citizens voted for. When Tony's LNP party rushed to the parliament with their breathless libertarian wishlist they didn't double check to see if they had the numbers first, oops.

...our democracy is failing. As voters we’ve developed short attention spans and high expectations. Consequently our political masters are beholden to opinion polls.
They tell us what we want to hear rather than that which is necessary for the country’s long-term good. In short, our prosperity will soon nosedive unless we make some difficult decisions.

Damned peasants just don't know what's good for 'em.

There is a solution. Let’s agree on a set of truly important problems — mounting debt, population growth, lack of jobs, rising health care expenditure, inefficient welfare and an inadequate defence force — and appoint a committee of eminent and competent Australians to sort it out. A benign dictatorship if you will. This committee would consist of experts in their fields without political axes to grind. It’d need at least five years to complete its tasks during which time elected governments could administrate, but take no major decisions. At the end of five years the committee members would stand down and be objectively assessed on their performance.

And your benign Junta that's displaced democracy will gracefully step aside once their five year plan gets evaluated? Righto mate. No worries. She'll be right, coupla days mate and a thousand other corny Aussie aphorisms right at ya!

I've got too used to conservatives simply talking shit and pretending to have morals, when they choose to be honest it's both refreshing and fucking terrifying!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
I wouldn't worry too much. Even his own readers are disagreeing with him. As for the Queensland election it was a show of what happens when you mislead voters and arrogantly presume to tell them what to do. It was in fact democracy in action.

I also wonder on what basis they think we need more military spending?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
You know what helps prevent the "wrong" people from getting elected? Electronic voting.

But yeah, this is embarrassing whining from losers. And using the quote from Churchill and then going to the opposite direction is just silly.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Jesus Christ, this is idiotic even by the standards of News Corp.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
All I can say is......

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
I've always wanted to be a benign dictator.  Anyone who denied my benignity would not be heard from again.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
I've always wanted to be a benign dictator.  Anyone who denied my benignity would not be heard from again.
jawohl , mein benigh Führer.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
There is a solution. Let’s agree on a set of truly important problems — mounting debt, population growth, lack of jobs, rising health care expenditure, inefficient welfare and an inadequate defence force —

Here's your problem right here! I don't agree with any of these. Nor do most people. That's why the governments that try to institute the policy you want tend to lose.

Oh, and the election they just lost? My state. Boom bitch.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
There is a solution. Let’s agree on a set of truly important problems — mounting debt, population growth, lack of jobs, rising health care expenditure, inefficient welfare and an inadequate defence force — and appoint a committee of eminent and competent Australians to sort it out. A benign dictatorship if you will. This committee would consist of experts in their fields without political axes to grind. It’d need at least five years to complete its tasks during which time elected governments could administrate, but take no major decisions. At the end of five years the committee members would stand down and be objectively assessed on their performance.

So, in essence: Let our ruling junta lord over you, and perhaps we'll consider recalling ourselves. Silly little peasants.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
Yeah, people who are given absolute power always give it up peacefully and quickly!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Yeah, people who are given absolute power always give it up peacefully and quickly!
Well, the Egyptian army did. ...So did the Red army at the collapse of Soviet Union.

...But apart from that (Didn't the Thailand's army also give up power soon after their coup? They've done 12 coups so far so I am guessing at least one of them was a short time coup that they simply did to practise their couping skills, which seem to be in heavy use.) yeah, I get your point.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
Well, the Egyptian army did. ...So did the Red army at the collapse of Soviet Union.

...But apart from that (Didn't the Thailand's army also give up power soon after their coup? They've done 12 coups so far so I am guessing at least one of them was a short time coup that they simply did to practise their couping skills, which seem to be in heavy use.) yeah, I get your point.
[Godwin/] [Godwin]
(Godwin aside, the "I'll just be in power temporarily" is a classic move of oppressive dictators)

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
Hell, just look at the origin of the word dictator. In the Roman republic, a dictator was appointed in times of crisis to lead the nation. He was given absolute influence and control, but was expected to give up power once the crisis was averted. Wanna guess how many actually did? Cincinnatus is the only one I can think of. Most of the others, most notably Julius Caesar, held on to their power.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
This happens, then watch Australia turn into Argentina during its Junta.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
Hell, just look at the origin of the word dictator. In the Roman republic, a dictator was appointed in times of crisis to lead the nation. He was given absolute influence and control, but was expected to give up power once the crisis was averted. Wanna guess how many actually did? Cincinnatus is the only one I can think of. Most of the others, most notably Julius Caesar, held on to their power.
That's arguably one of the worst example you could have choosen. ^^ The Roman dictatorship system is impressive in that it's actually one of the few in history where temporary dictators actually did step down after their term. (with a few exceptions, Julius Cesar being the most famous one... which tends to make us think it was always like that)

And it makes sense too. They wouldn't have kept on making people temporary dictators if it was obvious that they would try to seize permanent power every single time. In fact, by doing what he did, Julius Cesar actually pretty much single-handledly spelled the doom of the roman dictatorship system!

But yeah, that's... pretty much the only case in history where temporary dictatorship was a thing. I don't know, maybe that's one of the reasons why would-be tyrants throught history had such a boner for the roman republic?