Author Topic: GOP Debate Highlights  (Read 9037 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
GOP Debate Highlights
« on: August 07, 2015, 11:06:09 am »
So last night the GOP had their first primary debate.  And what a doozy it was.  17 candidates and Faux Noise had to cut the field to 10.  And the 9 of those 10 knew they had to contend with a man who's hair might be his running mate.  Yes Trump the Troll is really giving it to the GOP right now.  But I have to wonder if he's doing this because he can.  Ahh well.  DEBATE HIGHLIGHTS!

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/07/politics/donald-trump-republican-debate/

(CNN)It was the most dramatic opening to a presidential debate in recent memory—and Donald Trump stole the show before he'd even said a word.

Perched comfortably at the top of the polls and lapping his closest rivals by double digits, Trump was expected to do well at the first GOP presidential debate of the 2016 season on Thursday night. The onus was on his competitors to seize the spotlight, but none of them managed to change the dynamics in a race that Trump has dominated for more than a month.

Many contenders delivered strong performances and polished answers. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio showed his formidable political skills and compelling personal narrative. Ohio Gov. John Kasich gave crisp answers as he played to his home state audience. And Rand Paul and Chris Christie slammed each other during an impassioned debate over government surveillance.

For more than a month, Trump has defied the normal patterns of politics and Thursday night was no exception. But it was harder to tell how his answers would wear on voters over time, particularly when matched — as he was Thursday night — with nine other contenders who have strong resumes and far more detailed policy plans.

So predictable that Trump one this.  Man knows how to let his mouth run and says what people want him to say.  Thing is, I don't think this goes over very well on a national stage.  Also worth noting is that the opening question to Trump was that if he didn't get the GOP nom, would he seek an independent run.  He didn't rule it out.

Ironbite-that's more then a bit scary for the GOP right now.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: GOP Debate Highlights
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 11:12:03 am »
So last night the GOP had their first primary debate.  And what a doozy it was.  17 candidates and Faux Noise had to cut the field to 10.  And the 9 of those 10 knew they had to contend with a man who's hair might be his running mate.  Yes Trump the Troll is really giving it to the GOP right now.  But I have to wonder if he's doing this because he can.  Ahh well.  DEBATE HIGHLIGHTS!

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/07/politics/donald-trump-republican-debate/

(CNN)It was the most dramatic opening to a presidential debate in recent memory—and Donald Trump stole the show before he'd even said a word.

Perched comfortably at the top of the polls and lapping his closest rivals by double digits, Trump was expected to do well at the first GOP presidential debate of the 2016 season on Thursday night. The onus was on his competitors to seize the spotlight, but none of them managed to change the dynamics in a race that Trump has dominated for more than a month.

Many contenders delivered strong performances and polished answers. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio showed his formidable political skills and compelling personal narrative. Ohio Gov. John Kasich gave crisp answers as he played to his home state audience. And Rand Paul and Chris Christie slammed each other during an impassioned debate over government surveillance.

For more than a month, Trump has defied the normal patterns of politics and Thursday night was no exception. But it was harder to tell how his answers would wear on voters over time, particularly when matched — as he was Thursday night — with nine other contenders who have strong resumes and far more detailed policy plans.

So predictable that Trump one this.  Man knows how to let his mouth run and says what people want him to say.  Thing is, I don't think this goes over very well on a national stage.  Also worth noting is that the opening question to Trump was that if he didn't get the GOP nom, would he seek an independent run.  He didn't rule it out.

Ironbite-that's more then a bit scary for the GOP right now.

Sounds hilarious! I should've grabbed some popcorn and watch this Side Show!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:57:28 am »
I think that, much like Ross Perot, Trump's success comes from channeling populist resentment towards establishment politicians.  But in a lot of other regards, he's much more similar to Silvio Berlusconi.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 01:51:53 pm »
Jesus Christ, SEVENTEEN candidates? Last I heard, we were only at 13. Is it a requirement to try to run for president to be a Republican now?
Who needs a signature?

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 05:58:17 pm »
Running for president is the easiest way for a politician to make money. Most of these guys will drop out when they've either reached the amount of money they wanted to get, or get that book deal or fox news correspondent spot.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 06:10:34 pm »
Trump's bragging about being buying politicians and excusing it with the old "everyone does it" excuse was the highlight of the night for me.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 06:24:00 pm »
He didn't rule it out.

That's just a negotiation tactic: give me the nomination (or something worthwhile like the VP slot) or I sink your party.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 06:30:51 pm »
Running for president is the easiest way for a politician to make money. Most of these guys will drop out when they've either reached the amount of money they wanted to get, or get that book deal or fox news correspondent spot.

You don't make money running for president. You maybe make money if by running for president you can get enough profile to get a book deal or a TV gig, but most of these clowns have those anyway.

No, this is pure ego.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 06:31:12 pm »
He didn't rule it out.

(or something worthwhile like the VP slot)

Quote from: Daniel Webster
I do not propose to be buried until I am dead.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 06:44:53 pm »
The biggest strength of the Republicans is also their major weakness - the lack of integrity of the large part of their party base. It's pretty simple: Republicans are disproportionately bad people, liars, morons, idiots. Therefore, their truest candidates are usually bad people (Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Trump). Eisenhower, easily the most decent Republican president since the parties switched, was a bizarre fluke. So they aspire to base emotions - hate, envy, fear, ignorance.

This sometimes bites them in the ass.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 08:22:00 pm »
Your tribalism might be showing just the tiniest bit.
Σא

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 04:53:42 am »
What shocks me is, for all their aggression and mudslinging skill, not one person even tried to shut Trump down with something like, "How can you run this company when you caused your own company to go bankrupt?"
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 07:10:57 am »

Am I wrong?

-FDR

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 08:51:27 am »

Am I wrong?

Yes, but I doubt you will ever understand why.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 01:33:01 pm »

Am I wrong?

Making a sweeping generalisation of a group of people based on their sociopolitical affiliation?

When I did that you called me racist.

So, pick up your swastika and white hood and let's get to it, eh?

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."