Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387343 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2775 on: January 15, 2019, 06:10:38 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/14/steve-king-republicans-house-committees-white-nationalist

Virulent racist Rep. Steve King (R-IA) has been stripped of his committee assignments in the House of Representatives after remarks asking how "white supremacy" became offensive.

Let's also recall his characterization of Dreamers as people with "calves the size of cantaloupes" from smuggling marijuana across the border.

Rep. King had sat on the House Judiciary, Agriculture, and Small Business Committees. Additionally, in the previous Congress, he was the chair of the Judiciary Committee's subcommittee on The Constitution and Civil Justice (among other things, it oversaw federal civil rights--which you'd think would be the one place you wouldn't want to put someone as racist as Rep. King).

Reps. Chris Collins (R-NY) and Duncan Hunter (R-CA) also have no committee assignments; both are under active indictment.

EDIT: "We can't restore our civilization with somebody else's babies." -- Rep. Steve King

EDIT #2: Per the US Constitution, Art. 1, Sec. 2, Clause 4: "When vacancies happen in the Representation from any State, the Executive Authority thereof shall issue Writs of Election to fill such Vacancies."

But seen on Twitter (condensed):

"Steve King should resign so Gov. Reynolds can appoint a replacement well before 2020."

"If Steve King resigns, Gov. Reynolds will just appoint someone equally horrible."

Whatever your partisan take on the matter, both of these versions are simply wrong that the Governor gets to appoint replacements for House members.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:55:18 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2776 on: January 15, 2019, 07:50:12 pm »
Depends also on State Law mind.  Some states you have to have a special election to replace a Congresscritter.  Others it's appointed by that state's Governor.  It's how, despite losing her race in Arizona, Martha McSally got in.

Ironbite-I doubt King will resign though.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2777 on: January 15, 2019, 08:33:43 pm »
Depends also on State Law mind.  Some states you have to have a special election to replace a Congresscritter.  Others it's appointed by that state's Governor.  It's how, despite losing her race in Arizona, Martha McSally got in.

That's for the Senate. For the House, the US Constitution is explicit, as per the quotation: the executive sets a date for a special election to fill the vacancy.

As for McSally, she was, when you think about it, the least controversial choice, just like Jon Kyl was.

(click to show/hide)
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2778 on: January 16, 2019, 04:11:47 am »
McSally's seat was always up for grabs in 2020.  Cause that's how terms work

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2779 on: January 16, 2019, 07:44:44 am »
I am starting to get annoyed by this "But his replacement could be equally bad or worse!" meme.

If you find out that someone is unfit for a job or elected position, it should be the duty of the organization or nation to have them replaced. Doesn't matter who the hypothetical replacement is, if they are also unfit they will be replaced then
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2780 on: January 16, 2019, 02:21:37 pm »
McSally's seat was always up for grabs in 2020.  Cause that's how terms work

Once McCain died too close to the 2018 election to have the special election then, yeah, of course. And then it's up again in 2022, since it's a Class III seat.

I am starting to get annoyed by this "But his replacement could be equally bad or worse!" meme.

If you find out that someone is unfit for a job or elected position, it should be the duty of the organization or nation to have them replaced. Doesn't matter who the hypothetical replacement is, if they are also unfit they will be replaced then

Well, that's for the voters of IA-4 to decide, should Rep. King resign.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #2781 on: January 17, 2019, 02:28:23 am »
How did white supremacy become offensive? Oh I don't know, but I think it probably had something to do with this really shouty Austrian with a tiny mustache, among many other things. What was his name? Randolph Hortler?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2782 on: January 17, 2019, 11:20:35 am »

Exactly, the voters can elect someone else to the position and that's what democracy in its modern form is supposed to be about. Elect someone to represent yourself but no one is above the law and if the elected person does horrible and/or illegal things they can be removed from the office. I would argue that the ability to remove leaders from office is as important to democracy as is the ability to vote for them in the first place.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2783 on: January 17, 2019, 11:54:42 am »

Exactly, the voters can elect someone else to the position and that's what democracy in its modern form is supposed to be about. Elect someone to represent yourself but no one is above the law and if the elected person does horrible and/or illegal things they can be removed from the office. I would argue that the ability to remove leaders from office is as important to democracy as is the ability to vote for them in the first place.

Well, yes. My main point in this whole thing is not anything about whether Rep. King should resign, but rather people's ignorance of the procedure for filling a vacancy in the House of Representatives (as opposed to one in the Senate), which shows up in people of all political stripes.

I bet a good number of these people would view the US Constitution with some sort of near-religious reverence... but then they probably haven't read their religion's "holy" book(s), either.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #2784 on: January 18, 2019, 03:22:24 pm »
Latest bullshit from the constantly full of shit, and currently AWOL Mitch "Turtle" McConnell: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/call-hr-1-what-it-is-the-democrat-politician-protection-act/2019/01/17/dcc957be-19cb-11e9-9ebf-c5fed1b7a081_story.html?utm_term=.285b3827d7cb

Is there ANYTHING in there that is true at all?  Besides fair elections being a major threat to Republicans?

Oh, and yes, he did just admit that Republicans couldn't win elections without cheating.  Unusually honest of him.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2785 on: January 18, 2019, 03:37:08 pm »
Not like anyone in Kentucky is gonna vote against him.

Ironbite-man's gonna be in office until the day he dies.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2786 on: January 21, 2019, 09:09:33 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSE_CsAdG1M

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., in his own words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgkYiby9CVI

Meanwhile, Mike Pence is trying to invoke Dr. King's legacy to argue for xenophobia.

As for the Turtle, the thing is, Trump has a pretty good approval rating in Kentucky--substantially higher than McConnell's. If McConnell bucks Trump by allowing a vote on a bill to fund federal government operations (which will pass--at this point, it might pass with the two-thirds majority needed to override a veto, with Congressional Republicans feeling some heat over this), he'll lose, not in the general election, but to a Trumpite primary challenger.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2787 on: January 22, 2019, 09:34:29 am »
Alternatively, we could let North Korea annex Kentucky.  I'm sure no one will miss it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2788 on: January 22, 2019, 09:59:34 am »
Alternatively, we could let North Korea annex Kentucky.  I'm sure no one will miss it.
That would be some grade A Paradox border gore.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2789 on: January 23, 2019, 01:38:25 am »