Author Topic: Our queer world  (Read 80026 times)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Re: Our queer world
« Reply #390 on: January 20, 2015, 12:39:26 pm »
So I was randomly going through videos on Youtube and this news story caught my eye. For all the "pregnant man" discussions that Thomas Beatty inspired a few years ago, I'm surprised this has been so low-key.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwuRSS2whTg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwuRSS2whTg</a>

Link in case the video doesn't display here

EDIT: Thank you; fixed in original as well.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:17:49 pm by Random Guy »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #391 on: January 20, 2015, 04:00:30 pm »
So I was randomly going through videos on Youtube and this news story caught my eye. For all the "pregnant man" discussions that Thomas Beatty inspired a few years ago, I'm surprised this has been so low-key.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwuRSS2whTg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwuRSS2whTg</a>

Link in case the video doesn't display here

FTFY

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #392 on: January 26, 2015, 06:47:17 pm »
Before we break out the confetti about Alabama being dragged into the world of not being dumb, there's one lawmaker who wants to arrest any clerk who issues a marriage certificate

There's a big fight underway right now in Alabama, with a Judge overturning a marriage ban and state officials refusing to obey his order to issue licenses. Anti-gay politicians are threatening to ban all marriage licenses if the Supreme Court rules in favor of equality. And one lawmaker even wants to send clerks to jail if they issue licenses to anyone -- gay or straight.

Ironbite-such insanity.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #393 on: January 26, 2015, 06:48:52 pm »
Oh, god. So that's where Georgia's sending the ones they don't need anymore.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #394 on: January 27, 2015, 02:43:53 am »
...All I wanted to say about Ironbite's comment was: "Wow." But I suspect that might have been thought to be a reference to the doge meme due to his "such insanity" phrase.

So instead I'll add that the entire Alabama thing is stupid but unfortunately there might be a basis to arrest or at least punish the clerks since they are not allowed to issue marriage licenses...

Even though not allowing the marriages is really stupid and petty act of disobedience and punishing the clerks is even moreso another sign of the lawmakers being Goddamned stupid homophobes.

But if the ban on ALL marriages is valid and legally done, then violating it might be a crime or basis for firing the clerks.

Still, in a better world none of those politicians would be re-elected.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #395 on: February 19, 2015, 11:01:06 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/austin-lesbians-first-gays-to-wed-in-texas-1.2964191

Texas's first gay wedding has occurred.

Defying Texas's longstanding ban on gay marriage, a lesbian couple wed in Austin on Thursday immediately after being granted a marriage licence under a one-time court order because one of the women has cancer.

The women said their union was the first legal same-sex marriage since voters approved the ban in the fiercely conservative state in 2005, though the state's attorney general immediately appealed to the state Supreme Court. The court later issued an emergency stay that blocks other gay couples from obtaining marriage licences but didn't address the Austin marriage.

The ruling overturning the ban has been stayed, but a judge ordered that this wedding go ahead anyway. The county clerk then said that while she issued the licence in this case, future licences would also require court orders. (One hopes that she will not continue to insist on that should the ruling be upheld and the stay lifted.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #396 on: February 20, 2015, 05:13:31 am »
Aaand the president of Finland approved same-sex marriage.

It will still take a while before the law will be put in action, though.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #397 on: February 21, 2015, 12:51:16 am »
Oh hey look a Republican is a heartless inhuman fucktard.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/texas-ag-moves-to-overturn-marriage-of-lesbian-couple-1.2965770

The ban on same-sex marriages in Texas has been "needlessly cast in doubt" after a judge gave a lesbian Austin couple permission to tie the knot, Republican Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton told the state's Supreme Court on Friday.

Paxton asked the justices to declare the marriage licence issued to Suzanne Bryant and Sarah Goodfriend invalid, warning of "legal chaos" if the court doesn't make clear that a judge wrongly allowed the couple to wed.

"A clear statement is necessary so that all judges within Texas understand that this Court or the U.S. Supreme Court will decide the constitutionality of Texas law," Paxton wrote.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #398 on: March 04, 2015, 12:13:06 am »
Yes, I know mine's the last post but it's been a while so...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/alabama-supreme-court-halts-gay-marriage-licences-1.2980813

Oh hey look Alabama has taken a step backwards.

The Alabama Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered the state's probate judges to stop issuing marriage licences to gay couples, saying a previous federal ruling that gay-marriage bans violate the U.S. Constitution does not preclude them from following state law, which defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

The all-Republican court sided with the argument offered by a pair of conservative organizations when they appealed a decision last month by U.S. District Judge Callie Granade of Mobile, who ruled that both Alabama's constitutional and statutory bans on same-sex marriage were unconstitutional.

So, wait, why is a state court reviewing a federal court's decision?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #399 on: March 04, 2015, 12:45:52 am »
Because DA SOUTH WIYALL RAHSE AGAYNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #400 on: March 04, 2015, 03:49:54 am »
Is it too much to hope that the federal judge has these state judges arrested and locked up for contempt of court?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #401 on: March 04, 2015, 09:40:14 am »
It's amazing.  What's Alabama gonna do when SCOTUS completely strikes down all marriage bans 7-2?  I mean, just completely ignore that?  I think we're gonna see the start of the second Civil War here folks.  Only it'll be fought by idiot judges who can't understand that their bigiotry has no place on the bench.

Ironbite-just amazing.