Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 121445 times)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #390 on: October 04, 2014, 12:40:19 am »
On a similar note, his novella "Herbert West-Reanimator" was originally published in a humor magazine. Every chapter but the last was essentially an extended sick joke leading up to the punchline, "Damn it, it wasn't QUITE fresh enough!"
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #391 on: October 04, 2014, 12:14:07 pm »
Really? I would've never taken Reanimator (the novella, not the movie) to be humorous, even with the punchline. Frankly, it works perfectly well as a standard sci-fi horror story.
Σא

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #392 on: October 05, 2014, 08:42:15 pm »
Basically, he was just writing for the paycheck; he'd been having a run of bad luck selling his stories, so he took a commission from a humor magazine.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #393 on: October 05, 2014, 09:06:48 pm »
It has a certain (very) dark humour depending on how you look at it, but that doesn't necessarily make it any less of a genuine horror story, I think.

(Alternately maybe the joke is that you pick up a humour magazine expecting something lightheartedly funny and get hit with.. that instead)

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #394 on: October 16, 2014, 07:53:38 pm »
For another humorous Lovecraft story, check out "Sweet Ermengarde":

http://www.psy-q.ch/lovecraft/html/ermengarde.htm

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #395 on: October 16, 2014, 09:36:33 pm »
Just finished reading Spade & Archer, a prequel to The Maltese Falcon written by Joe Gores in 2009 or so. It's pretty good, it definitely *feels* like a Sam Spade book! The only problem I have with it is it uses "could of" and "should of" and whatnot and that's... wrong. Very wrong. The words your looking for are "could've" and "should've" or, depending on how slangy you want to be, "coulda" and "shoulda".

...anyways, it was a good book. Except for that one thing.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #396 on: October 17, 2014, 08:38:45 pm »
I've been re-reading A Confederacy of Dunces, and it's even funnier now that I know about the neoreactionary movement.  If the book were set today, Ignatius would probably be blogging about "the Cathedral".

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #397 on: October 17, 2014, 09:17:34 pm »
Ha. I'd never noticed it before, but you're right. Mencius Moldbug is secretly Ignatius Reilly.
Σא

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #398 on: October 21, 2014, 12:03:49 am »
I've considered reading Starship Troopers, mostly for the politics involved. Not, mind you, because I agree with it, but because I'm pretty sure I don't.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #399 on: October 22, 2014, 06:58:30 pm »
I've considered reading Starship Troopers, mostly for the politics involved. Not, mind you, because I agree with it, but because I'm pretty sure I don't.

I love SST to death, but I do agree Heinlein's free love message is kinda dated. And Heinlein was remarkably ahead for his day, with his societal attitudes. For example, compare Rico to any other sci-fi protagonist in one particularly important factor.

That's right, Heinlein had a non-white main protagonist in the 1950s who actually speaks in his native language (Tagalog) with his family.

Give the book a chance, I say. And if you even dare to bring up the alleged fascism, expect me to laugh in your face.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:06:58 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #400 on: October 29, 2014, 02:46:36 am »
Isn't the fascism claim because the movie missed the point(I have not experienced SST in either format, so I really don't know)?
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #401 on: October 29, 2014, 03:28:25 am »
Isn't the fascism claim because the movie missed the point(I have not experienced SST in either format, so I really don't know)?
No.

The fascism claim is because the SST book was quite serious in its pro-military anti-peace, anti democracy preaching (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers#Controversy) while the movie was a tongue-in-cheek parody.

The viewers either missed the joke and got angry because they thought it was serious, or did not miss the joke and got angry because the movie wasn't gung-ho propaganda for a militarized federation where only soldiers are allowed to vote and hold power.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #402 on: October 29, 2014, 08:45:50 am »
The Monuments Men. Interesting piece of WWII history.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #403 on: October 29, 2014, 12:19:54 pm »
The Monuments Men. Interesting piece of WWII history.

The movie, while quite inaccurate from a historical perspective, is quite good as well.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #404 on: January 24, 2015, 09:02:35 pm »
Everybody was pestering me to read Confederates in the Attic, so I did. It brings up some very interesting points about the societal effects of that war, especially some individuals's ghost dance-esque obsession with it's symbols.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.