Author Topic: Japan to launch military space force  (Read 10952 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Japan to launch military space force
« on: August 04, 2014, 10:37:50 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/japan-launch-military-space-force-report-054548014.html

Tokyo (AFP) - Japan is planning to launch a military space force by 2019 that would initially be tasked with protecting satellites from dangerous debris orbiting the Earth, a report said.

The move is aimed at strengthening Japan-US cooperation in space, and comes after the countries pledged to boost joint work on monitoring space debris, Kyodo news agency said Sunday.

Japan would provide the US military with information obtained by the force as part of the joint bid to strengthen ties in space, the so-called "fourth battlefield", Kyodo said, citing unnamed sources.

Japan's defence ministry is looking at creating the new force using personnel from the Air Self-Defence Force, the country's air force, it added.

The unit would acquire radar and telescope facilities, jointly with the science ministry and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, to run its observatory operations, Kyodo said.

Interesting development.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:22:39 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Japan to launch military space force
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 12:28:03 pm »
I've seen how this anime turns out.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 07:30:32 pm »
Well, at least we don't have dangerous bug-mutants exacting Gaia's vengeance on us for nebulous reasons, causing us to move to space and subsequently lose our humanity.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 07:50:53 pm »
goddammit, japan! gundam was NOT an instruction manual!

(ps: japan, keep being awesome)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 08:09:18 pm »
.....why not?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:40:25 pm »
Now we just need colonies, and a pseudo-philosophical dictatorship to rule them!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 09:46:39 pm »
Shit, they're already working on power armour, this is hardly surprising.  Japan's the world's most insane technological powerhouse.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:32:48 pm »
RavynousHunter: Nice Blue Gender reference. Me? I can't wait for them to create transforming F-14s and getting them ready for space flight on a space carrier. Just leave out the bad J-Pop.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 01:14:48 am »
Outrageously unconstitutional.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 01:24:25 am »
It's pretty safe to say at this point that Japan isn't in fact going to try and take over Asia again if we let them have more than a skeleton defense force.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 07:32:41 am »
I think that this is a good idea, space junk is a serious problem for satellites and future plans for orbital activity.

...But if they start recruiting teenagers with attitude to pilot their mechs it is time to get worried.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 07:51:26 am »
I think that this is a good idea, space junk is a serious problem for satellites and future plans for orbital activity.

...But if they start recruiting teenagers with attitude to pilot their mechs it is time to get worried.

Proper mech pilots aren't recruited, they just fall into the cockpit or happen to be the sole person around when the base with the super prototype is attacked.

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 08:07:47 am »
So does this mean there's going to be a few hundred casualties per day from the guys not piloting the super prototype?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 08:18:54 am »
RavynousHunter: Nice Blue Gender reference. Me? I can't wait for them to create transforming F-14s and getting them ready for space flight on a space carrier. Just leave out the bad J-Pop.

Ha, I knew everyone was gonna make Gundam references, so I thought I'd throw a curveball.  Glad somebody caught it, lol.

It's pretty safe to say at this point that Japan isn't in fact going to try and take over Asia again if we let them have more than a skeleton defense force.

Yeah, I don't think Japan really cares about that crap, anymore.  Having had your country literally nuked would likely take the conquering drive out of anyone.  Besides, its far easier to just sell the crazy military tech to everyone else.  If they all end up killing one another, then you win by default.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 08:38:06 am »

Ha, I knew everyone was gonna make Gundam references, so I thought I'd throw a curveball.  Glad somebody caught it, lol.

Yeah, I don't think Japan really cares about that crap, anymore.  Having had your country literally nuked would likely take the conquering drive out of anyone.  Besides, its far easier to just sell the crazy military tech to everyone else.  If they all end up killing one another, then you win by default.
Besides, this rearmament program is about Japan helping its allies.