Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1533073 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #8070 on: January 01, 2016, 04:38:27 pm »
That's... true, though. An underprivileged group of people cannot be equally discriminatory to the privileged class. A police officer saying "I place you under arrest" to a civilian has more weight than vice versa.
Institutional sexism is not the same thing as sexism, merely a subset of it. Words mean things, and you can't just make up your own definitions willy-nilly to suit your argument.

Honestly now, why the fuck are people still, after all this time, claiming that the whole "racism/sexism/whatever else = power + prejudice" nonsense is anything other than utter bullshit?

Simple: because it suits their narrative.

Even Then

« Reply #8071 on: January 01, 2016, 04:46:45 pm »
Note how I have not actually said "racism = power + prejudice", or that marginalized people can't be prejudiced.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8072 on: January 01, 2016, 04:49:42 pm »
Not technically, but you described a paragraph making that claim as "true".

Even Then

« Reply #8073 on: January 01, 2016, 04:52:51 pm »
Except the paragraph included "marginalized groups can be just as prejudiced as privileged classes". Which you'd know, had you actually read it.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8074 on: January 01, 2016, 05:09:37 pm »
Except the paragraph included "marginalized groups can be just as prejudiced as privileged classes". Which you'd know, had you actually read it.
...The fuck?! Claiming that anyone who's not "privileged" can't be racist or sexist, only prejudiced, is exactly how that logic works.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8075 on: January 01, 2016, 05:26:56 pm »

UP reading his own sources to make sure they back up what he claims?

Ironbite-ARE YOU INSANE!?

Even Then

« Reply #8076 on: January 01, 2016, 05:39:37 pm »
The picture was not saying underprivileged people can't be racist or sexist, ever, only that they cannot be equally so because of societal inequalities that stretch beyond the prejudices of individuals.

To simplify, because that's apparently something I have to do: Person A and person B are equally able to punch each other in the face for petty reasons; however, person A and person B will not be treated equally by the system for it. If you still don't understand, then I'll be done. I'll have tried, and I'll leave it behind.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8077 on: January 01, 2016, 05:57:58 pm »
The picture was not saying underprivileged people can't be racist or sexist, ever, only that they cannot be equally so because of societal inequalities that stretch beyond the prejudices of individuals.

To simplify, because that's apparently something I have to do: Person A and person B are equally able to punch each other in the face for petty reasons; however, person A and person B will not be treated equally by the system for it. If you still don't understand, then I'll be done. I'll have tried, and I'll leave it behind.
And your logic is quite simply bullshit. Allow me to demonstrate.
Quote from:  Oxford Dictionary
Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.

Quote from: Merriam-Webster Dictionary

1    :  a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2    :  racial prejudice or discrimination
So no, power has absolutely nothing to do with how racist a person is or can be. It's only a question of attitude. The potential damage someone can do as a result of their bigotry, while certainly effected by power, is nonetheless an entirely separate issue.

Remember when I mentioned arbitrarily redefining words to suit your argument? This is exactly what I was talking about.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:03:57 pm by Art Vandelay »

Even Then

« Reply #8078 on: January 01, 2016, 06:06:00 pm »
Repercussions cannot be divorced from racism and are a key component of "how racist" someone can be. White guys calling black people the n-word and black people calling white people crackers will never be equally racist precisely because of the societal implications that stretch beyond individuals. Also, dictionaries are recordings of how people use words, not sources of authority on the practical dimensions of terms related to sociology.

I've said my piece. Now I'm dropping this.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8079 on: January 01, 2016, 06:14:30 pm »
Repercussions cannot be divorced from racism and are a key component of "how racist" someone can be. White guys calling black people the n-word and black people calling white people crackers will never be equally racist precisely because of the societal implications that stretch beyond individuals. Also, dictionaries are recordings of how people use words, not sources of authority on the practical dimensions of terms related to sociology.

I've said my piece. Now I'm dropping this.
Yes, and the dictionaries have recorded that "racism" refers exclusively to attitude. Ergo, a black guy who hates "those fucking crackers" is just as racist as a white guy who hates "those fucking niggers". The potential damage either of them can cause is, as I said, an entirely separate issue. Again, you don't get to claim that words actually mean something completely different just to suit your argument. At least, not and still expect to be taken seriously by anyone outside of Tumblr.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #8080 on: January 02, 2016, 05:00:28 pm »

You can only pair the fictional characters I approve of. Otherwise you're sexist and racist.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #8081 on: January 02, 2016, 07:18:19 pm »
I don't ship "Raylo", as they put it, because Kylo Ren is a psychotic villain. Also, I didn't even know Poe wasn't white until I saw the actors name. And while on the subject, who ships Ray and Poe? They shared zero scenes, for Space-Christ's sake!
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8082 on: January 02, 2016, 07:25:41 pm »
Gibon here's the thing you don't get about ships, even if the characters shared two milliseconds of Screen time together someone will ship it. Hell TV Tropes has a term for it and everything.

Even Then

« Reply #8083 on: January 02, 2016, 07:58:29 pm »
Hell, I ship two characters in a video game whose only canon interaction was one of them implicitly killing the other and possessing his body before the game's events. I know about having to come up with shit from whole cloth.

wait, I mean

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #8084 on: January 02, 2016, 08:10:34 pm »
Spoilers might be nice when mentioning Star Wars content. Not all of us have seen the movie yet, you know.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.