Author Topic: Australia's Turnbull Refuses to ban "Stop The Fags" Signs.  (Read 934 times)

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
Australia's Turnbull Refuses to ban "Stop The Fags" Signs.
« on: August 22, 2017, 02:29:12 am »
http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/antigay-marriage-signs-hurtful-but-democratic-pm-malcolm-turnbull/news-story/03a8fee2c030ed6695bfe723054bb08a

He cites free speech as his reason. But this looks a little too much like libel to me. I know next to nothing about Australian laws wrt speech/political signs/propaganda/etc but the signs are flagrantly inaccurate. Is it possible to commit libel against a group of people rather than specific people? Or would this be restricted under some kind of hate speech code?

Any Aussies here to explain this?

I'd also like to know what pro-LGBT groups are putting up as signs/ads in response.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:30:57 am by Kanzenkankaku »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Australia's Turnbull Refuses to ban "Stop The Fags" Signs.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 02:46:23 am »
Our society, the most successful multicultural society in the world is built on a foundation of mutual respect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Australia_policy

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Australia's Turnbull Refuses to ban "Stop The Fags" Signs.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 03:38:39 am »
http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/antigay-marriage-signs-hurtful-but-democratic-pm-malcolm-turnbull/news-story/03a8fee2c030ed6695bfe723054bb08a

He cites free speech as his reason. But this looks a little too much like libel to me. I know next to nothing about Australian laws wrt speech/political signs/propaganda/etc but the signs are flagrantly inaccurate. Is it possible to commit libel against a group of people rather than specific people? Or would this be restricted under some kind of hate speech code?

Any Aussies here to explain this?

I'd also like to know what pro-LGBT groups are putting up as signs/ads in response.
Yeah, funny how the freedom of speechifying arguments from conservatives fly out the window when someone working for the government broadcaster says something not completely jingoisitic and cloying on ANZAC Day (Aussie veterans day) or a government school puts a book about a normal, well adjusted kid has two mums.

You want an Aussie to explain it to you? All conservatives are completely full of shit! Read it back in your best Australian accent. Done.