Author Topic: “Losing yourself” in a fictional character can affect your real life  (Read 2830 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
COLUMBUS, Ohio - When you “lose yourself” inside the world of a fictional character while reading a story, you may actually end up changing your own behavior and thoughts to match that of the character, a new study suggests.

Researchers at Ohio State University examined what happened to people who, while reading a fictional story, found themselves feeling the emotions, thoughts, beliefs and internal responses of one of the characters as if they were their own - a phenomenon the researchers call “experience-taking.”

They found that, in the right situations, experience-taking may lead to real changes, if only temporary, in the lives of readers.

In one experiment, for example, the researchers found that people who strongly identified with a fictional character who overcame obstacles to vote were significantly more likely to vote in a real election several days later.

“Experience-taking can be a powerful way to change our behavior and thoughts in meaningful and beneficial ways,” said Lisa Libby, co-author of the study and assistant professor of psychology at Ohio State University.

There are many ways experience-taking can affect readers.

In another experiment, people who went through this experience-taking process while reading about a character who was revealed to be of a different race or sexual orientation showed more favorable attitudes toward the other group and were less likely to stereotype.

“Experience-taking changes us by allowing us to merge our own lives with those of the characters we read about, which can lead to good outcomes,” said Geoff Kaufman, who led the study as a graduate student at Ohio State. He is now a postdoctoral researcher at the Tiltfactor Laboratory at Dartmouth College.

Their findings appear online in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology and will be published in a future print edition.
full article - http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/exptaking.htm

So if I watch a harem anime I too will want a harem someday?  I can't say I would complain though....
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
I didn't know I wanted to be Dark Lord of the Sith and UNLIMTED POWER!!!.Though I would love to have the force lightning power, just saying.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:22:22 am by nickiknack »

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
To be fair, in most harem anime, the person with the harem doesn't want it.

If anything, experience-taking from a harem anime would cause you to avoid the ideas of harems.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
Well I guess that explains these people.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
*watches Doctor Who* I'm an experience-taker now. Experience-taking is cool.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
It seems to me that this study is talking about how one can "identify" with the characters in the story which I find to be believable being that I have done it myself on occasion.

I had to read "A Raisin in the Sun" in my ENG 102 class and found myself identifying strongly with the Beneatha character in that I admired the hardships that she had to overcome being an independent black woman wishing to become a doctor, a profession not usually sought out by people of her gender and race back in the 50's. I actually found myself being like her in the sense that I could see certain attributes in her that I saw in me. Not sure if I want to say that I wanted to be Beneatha but that I could see certain parallels.

It seems that the study is saying that the more emotionally charged the story is and the more that the character has to overcome certain obstacles, the more that people will really get themselves involved and invested emotionally into the story.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Doesn't this also explain a lot about people taking inspiration from those they admire in real life?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад

This reference is so perfect...
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal

This reference is so perfect...

He beat me to it as well.  :P

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
my response to this article:  Well, NO SHIT SHERLOCK!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."