Author Topic: Zynga is dying and nothing of value will be lost.  (Read 5908 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Zynga is dying and nothing of value will be lost.
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:08:30 am »
(Reuters) - Shares of gaming company Zynga Inc fell as much as 10 percent, a day after the "Farmville" creator reached an agreement with Facebook Inc that reduces its dependence on the social networking giant.

The companies reported in regulatory filings on Thursday that they have reached an agreement to amend a 2010 deal that was widely seen as giving Zynga privileged status on the world's No.1 social network. Zynga gets a freer hand to operate a standalone gaming website, but gives up its ability to promote its site on Facebook and to draw from the thriving social network of about 1 billion users.

Congratulations you fucked up Farmville, the only reasons Farmville was successful was Facebook. Due to lots and lots of bored Facebook addicts.

Notable things Zynga has done other than Farmville:

LOL look at that stock crash and burn. Used to peak at $14.69 per share now it is within the range of $2.XX At least we found out where all the money went.

Oh look past involvement with EA burned them too. Now with more denial!

FORTUNE -- John Schappert has resigned as chief operating officer of Zynga (ZNGA), just weeks after losing oversight of game development in a corporate restructuring.Schappert had joined the social gaming company in May 2011, after having served as COO of Electronic Arts (EA). It is not believed that a recent EA lawsuit against Zynga played any role in Schappert's resignation.

But wait there’s more! Take a guess what the lawsuit by EA was about.

Last week, Electronic Arts ($EA) sued Zynga ($ZNGA) for copyright infringement because Zynga’s “The Ville” game allegedly takes too much of EA’s “Sims Social” game.  Lawsuits like these are rare in the games industry, for good reason.  Imitation of other manufacturers’ games is standard in the industry, and every major industry player does it frequently.  As my peer Prof. James Grimmelmann wrote, “the [games] industry has developed a dysfunctional culture of copycattery.”  Bringing a lawsuit that redefines the industry’s practices about games imitation could lead to a counterproductive outcome.  Even if EA wins this lawsuit (which I doubt), the resulting legal precedent could give more powerful tools to future plaintiffs suing EA for imitating their games.  Because everyone in the industry lives in a glass house, the major industry participants (wisely) choose not to throw stones.

Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: Zynga is dying and nothing of value will be lost.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 12:33:00 am »
Hey, Zynga has done relatively notable things other than Farmville.

For one, they formed a partnership with Hasbro.  As much as you seem to revel in Zynga losing stock value and write it off as worthless, it's no small company.  Now maybe I'm just biased as a brony, but I sure the hell hope that their financial situation doesn't cause problems for Hasbro.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 03:06:35 am »
Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast, B.  They're nigh-invincible.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 03:15:49 am »
Yeaaaaaah...doesn't Hasbro, by extension, own D&D?  If they do, the only thing that'd take them down would be a nuclear bomb.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 04:49:08 am »
.....Hasbro is a little known company that owns FUCKING TRANSFORMERS!

Ironbite-not in the slightest will this even worry their asses.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 02:57:21 pm »
Yeah. Zynga going the way of the dodo will not affect Hasbro in the slightest. Zynga may be "big", but that's like comparing a really big ant to a whale. Hasbro owns so many things that are integral to American culture (and in some ways, worldwide culture) that almost nothing could seriously harm it. I mean, they own MONOPOLY. You don't lose when you own Monopoly. Ever.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 04:36:35 pm »
Will someone please enlighten me as to why Zynga needed to be “big”? What the actual fuck are they doing that requires them to be “big”?

Their business model is to make shitty knock offs of other video games.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:26:29 pm »
Greed the CEO had a good small model but wanted more.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 06:36:59 pm »
Hasbro may in the future be owned by Disney, according to the rumor.

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:41:00 pm »
Good, maybe soon I won't log into FB thinking that somebody loves me, when really it's just Zynga alert.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 07:29:21 pm »

Considering the awesomeness of Wreck It Ralph, which I just saw today... I'm kinda neutral on that prospect.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 08:01:56 pm »
To me, the best part of the whole Zynga debacle was the ad "Now, play Words With Friends live with our new board game!"

We've been able to do that for over 70 years.  IT'S CALLED SCRABBLE.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 08:15:25 pm »

Considering the awesomeness of Wreck It Ralph, which I just saw today... I'm kinda neutral on that prospect.

I'm neutral on the subject, and wants to wait and see, also. But this may be because one of my main obsessions has just been taken over by Disney.

Saturn500

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 09:31:56 pm »
To me, the best part of the whole Zynga debacle was the ad "Now, play Words With Friends live with our new board game!"

My thoughts exactly when I first saw that ad.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 09:45:53 pm »

Scrabble is something you play with Nana. Words with Friends is something you play while wearing evening gowns and drinking white wine, at least according to the commercial.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.