Author Topic: Xbox One  (Read 27040 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Xbox One
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 10:52:54 am »
Honestly I'm about there too, I don't play enough games to particularly care about the used bit(aside from tracking down old ones) and I just don't see any games or useful features i'm interested in.

Battlefield 4 - same as AC4 regarding it being multiplatform. Also I don't know if I still care about BF or not.

Destiny  - know very little about this so far (Bungie is being a bi t tight lipped) but I am interest in this one.  If it's an exclusive and if it turns out to be interesting it could sway me.

Destiny looks fucking awesome so far, but it's not exclusive.  It will be on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, AND PS4.  Although, if they find a way to use this to do cross-platform multiplayer I have absolutely no problem with that.

And I'm actually looking forward to BF4.  I've only played the last couple Battlefield games, and want to play more.

I'm probably going to wind up getting the Xbox One myself.  I do my gaming about half on my pc and about half on my 360.  Though there are games I do prefer on pc, I still do a shit ton of console gaming, and I like my 360 and I love the controller (it feels like it's actually meant for a fucking human hand!), so most likely I will be purchasing one.  Also thinking about getting one of the new Droid or Steam open-source consoles too.

Do not get me started on how shit the PS controllers have always been.

Offline rtvc2012

• Pope
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 11:31:43 am »
Honestly I'm about there too, I don't play enough games to particularly care about the used bit(aside from tracking down old ones) and I just don't see any games or useful features i'm interested in.

Battlefield 4 - same as AC4 regarding it being multiplatform. Also I don't know if I still care about BF or not.

Destiny  - know very little about this so far (Bungie is being a bi t tight lipped) but I am interest in this one.  If it's an exclusive and if it turns out to be interesting it could sway me.

Destiny looks fucking awesome so far, but it's not exclusive.  It will be on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, AND PS4.  Although, if they find a way to use this to do cross-platform multiplayer I have absolutely no problem with that.

And I'm actually looking forward to BF4.  I've only played the last couple Battlefield games, and want to play more.

I'm probably going to wind up getting the Xbox One myself.  I do my gaming about half on my pc and about half on my 360.  Though there are games I do prefer on pc, I still do a shit ton of console gaming, and I like my 360 and I love the controller (it feels like it's actually meant for a fucking human hand!), so most likely I will be purchasing one.  Also thinking about getting one of the new Droid or Steam open-source consoles too.

There's a reason Sony has barely made any changes to their controller design since 1998.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But different strokes for different folks.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 11:38:03 am »

They legit hurt my hands after playing for more than a couple hours.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 11:41:24 am »
Here's the conference.  Oooh TV TV TV you can switch between TV and games easily like you have a  device that already does that (cough universal remotes) WE have a new controller it'll give you carpral tunnel.  We're gonna tak about sports games and COD which is pointless since those were never going to be exclusives

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 11:50:47 am »
So I've been doing more reading on the new system:

-Apparently, they've been back pedaling like fuck because of the predictably huge backlash from the always on.  Microsoft is now saying that they were just talking about "possible scenarios".

- I've also heard that Microsoft is saying that there was a misunderstanding about paying to play used games, and that that was never part of their plan in the first place.  Whether or not this is more backpedaling I don't know, but if they don't force this then I'll be happy.

Though it is still my top choice big name console wise, the one thing that does annoy me is WHY SUCH A SMALL HARDRIVE?  I have the bigger hardrive version of the 360S for a reason Microsoft.

EDIT:  Also, I've heard that the reason there was like almost no concentration on games in the announcement is that Microsoft wanted to save as much as possible games wise for E3 and wants to remain tight lipped until then.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 12:13:55 pm »

Me too. They're too small imo and I hate where the thumb sticks are positioned - their position is why I find them painful to use after a while.  I also don't like how the sticks feel when you move them as well as how the buttons feel, but I can't really explain why.  I also don't like their weird d-pad with the diagonal directions missing. I just find that harder to use than a normal d-pad. Not that the 360 d-pad was great but that sucked for a different reason.

I've found the 360's controllers the most comfortable to hold, they fit my hands just perfectly.  I don't know wtf MS was thinking with the first X-box's controllers, I think the design department for them was staffed entirely by giants.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 12:17:31 pm »

-Apparently, they've been back pedaling like fuck because of the predictably huge backlash from the always on.  Microsoft is now saying that they were just talking about "possible scenarios".

- I've also heard that Microsoft is saying that there was a misunderstanding about paying to play used games, and that that was never part of their plan in the first place.  Whether or not this is more backpedaling I don't know, but if they don't force this then I'll be happy.

I've been trying to explain this to people on various forums (I've even mentioned both those things in this thread) but you're wasting your time.  They either ignore you or they just turn their rage onto you instead.

I guess people don't like facts getting in the way of their ott, indignant nerd rage.

Edit: BTW, that's not directed at anyone here, it's directed at people on other forums and internet comment sections.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:50:10 pm by Katsuro »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 03:33:35 pm »
I'm glad the DRM is not what the rumors had it as. I would hate to have to lose GameFly, and end up either spending 120 + at minimum each month to continue console gaming the new stuff on xbox one, settle for playing only rented 360 editions til those are no longer made, or I would give up console gaming completely.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 04:25:00 pm »
I personally never had a problem with PS controllers, but I have really small hands. I do prefer the 360 controller's joysticks, though.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2013, 10:09:08 pm »
I've found the 360's controllers the most comfortable to hold, they fit my hands just perfectly.  I don't know wtf MS was thinking with the first X-box's controllers, I think the design department for them was staffed entirely by giants.
I liked the original Xbox controllers, and as a teenager I had some of the daintiest hands you've ever seen. Then again, I also liked the Nintendo 64 controller once I got used to it (which, admittedly, took quite a long time), so maybe I just had low standards.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2013, 10:11:37 pm »

I watched this whole thing and it's fucking hilarious xD
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline rtvc2012

• Pope
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2013, 11:48:23 pm »

Me too. They're too small imo and I hate where the thumb sticks are positioned - their position is why I find them painful to use after a while.  I also don't like how the sticks feel when you move them as well as how the buttons feel, but I can't really explain why.  I also don't like their weird d-pad with the diagonal directions missing. I just find that harder to use than a normal d-pad. Not that the 360 d-pad was great but that sucked for a different reason.

According to an EGM article I read long ago, the first Xbox and its controller were the result of tons of intensive focus group research.  Apparently they only surveyed NBA stars when they designed the controller.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 12:09:43 am »

Wrong. They flat out state on their website that the console requires an Internet connection. The "possible scenarios" thing came from Microsoft's vice president mentioning that it might be a once every 24 hour connection check, which would practically be always online as you'd probably need to connect every time you use the thing.

Got any citations?

Though it is still my top choice big name console wise, the one thing that does annoy me is WHY SUCH A SMALL HARDRIVE?  I have the bigger hardrive version of the 360S for a reason Microsoft.

So all the DRM bullshit and its still your preferred choice?

EDIT:  Also, I've heard that the reason there was like almost no concentration on games in the announcement is that Microsoft wanted to save as much as possible games wise for E3 and wants to remain tight lipped until then.

Which doesn't excuse them spending more time talking about TV and sports than games. Having a small number of games is one thing. Spending more than half the conference talking about how they have TV and sports is another.
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 12:42:30 am »
I'd get an Xbox One, once its down a bit in price or I manage to get a fair bit of disposable cash.  Don't want to bother with the Wii-U, the controller is about as ass-backwards as you can get without putting the buttons on the inside of the damn thing.  Also, don't like Sony because it seems to be going thru a "WE HAVE BIGGER DICKS THAN MICROSOFT" phase again with their next Playstation...that, and the whole Sony BMG CD thing where their DRM software installed literal viruses into your fucking computer.

Besides, how long do you think it'll take the community to find and/or make a workaround for the bad bits?  A week maybe...a month at most, I'd bet.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 03:02:04 am »

Wrong. They flat out state on their website that the console requires an Internet connection. The "possible scenarios" thing came from Microsoft's vice president mentioning that it might be a once every 24 hour connection check, which would practically be always online as you'd probably need to connect every time you use the thing.

Umm, nobody ever denied it required an internet connection - it requires one to activate the games when you first isntall them, the same as with every PC game and every bit of PC software.  What was up for dipsute because of Microsofts own words was whether it needed a once every 24 hours internet connection.  Which is what we've been talking about the whole time.  Apparently the once every 24 hours thing is "one possible scenario" because whether a game needs to do that or not will depend on the individual game.  Some will need to do that to make use of the One's cloud functions.  Other devs might chose to not use those functions and so their games won't need to keep connecting.

Although, as I keep saying, things are still confusing and unclear.  We need to wait until we know for 100% certain before we start getting our knickers in a twist.

I've also heard that Microsoft is saying that there was a misunderstanding about paying to play used games, and that that was never part of their plan in the first place.  Whether or not this is more backpedaling I don't know, but if they don't force this then I'll be happy.

Got any citations?

The article that you yourself posted confirms this.  "An official Xbox Support Twitter account explains that there will be “no fees” for using pre-owned titles on your next-generation console"

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2013/05/report-xbox-one-not-backwards-compatible/

So all the DRM bullshit and its still your preferred choice?

Some of us really don't give that many fucks. None of this shit seems like all that big deal to me, it's little more than disappointing and a mild irritation.  Maybe it's just becuase I'm used to the same thigns with PC gaming and got used to it so now I'm kind of numb to it all.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:14:24 am by Katsuro »