Author Topic: How not to protest  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
How not to protest
« on: September 10, 2013, 12:42:06 am »
[DISCLAIMER: I wrote the article I'm citing]
K, so, I got this neat new writing gig for a site called The Good Men Project over the weekend, and my first article has already been published. It pertains to a No War With Syria rally I attended on 8/31/13. I wasn't expecting much from them, at least not after the failure Occupy became, and it turns out I was pretty justified in my preconceptions.
http://goodmenproject.com/politics-2/how-not-to-stage-a-political-protest-gmp/
Hidden amongst the usual anti-war signs and slogans were a few signs protesting Monsanto and calling for the legalization of weed, a clear indication that the purpose of a No War with Syria protest was somehow not completely clear to all of its attendants. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for having debates about GMOs and recreational drug use, but keep those to their own forum. They have no place at an anti-war rally, and advocating these subjects does little but detract energy from the primary goal of this protest. Unfortunately, this was something the rally’s speakers did not take into account, and they proved to be the most disappointing, and infuriating, part of my entire afternoon.
My understanding is that similar rallies in other cities, such as Los Angeles, have been much larger and more effective, and I certainly hope this is the exception rather than the rule. However, I have little hope for the San Diego branch of this movement to do anything of any real import.

Also, my next article for this site will be focusing on the situation in Syria. Specifically, I will be discussing the plight of the civilians and refugees, as that is hardly getting any attention in the media, and it's something I can more easily tie to the GMP's mission statement.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Re: How not to protest
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 12:50:30 am »
Yeah sorry for that burst on your feed but my point still stands. On topic, anti-GMO activists annoy the crap out of me. They take their position to logical extremes and ignore the fact that it's not necessarily GMO that's the problem but rather the unethical practice of the companies that produce them. Like there was a story not top long ago about anti-GMO activists in the Philipines pretending to be farmers and destroying rice crops while the actual farmers were like "WTF". And don't get me started on potheads. Like, I'm for the legalization of weed, but when you bring it up in a discussion that has nothing to do with it, you're annoying. 
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: How not to protest
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:03:51 am »
Yeah sorry for that burst on your feed but my point still stands. On topic, anti-GMO activists annoy the crap out of me. They take their position to logical extremes and ignore the fact that it's not necessarily GMO that's the problem but rather the unethical practice of the companies that produce them. Like there was a story not top long ago about anti-GMO activists in the Philipines pretending to be farmers and destroying rice crops while the actual farmers were like "WTF". And don't get me started on potheads. Like, I'm for the legalization of weed, but when you bring it up in a discussion that has nothing to do with it, you're annoying.
No kidding. Potheads are their own worst enemies on this issue. And I'm not bothered by your issue with my buddy's language, so much as I'm not really in the mood for a million updates bout y'all's flame war.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.