Author Topic: Yet Another Homophobe Outed  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Yet Another Homophobe Outed
« on: April 30, 2015, 11:22:20 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/30/randy-boehning-grindr_n_7176406.html

North Dakota state Rep. Randy Boehning (R) has come out as a member of the LGBT community after he was caught sending explicit photos on a gay dating app.

Boehning, who voted against a bill earlier this month that would extend housing, workplace and other protections to LGBT North Dakota residents, revealed to The Forum this week that he is attracted to both men and women.

Boehning's revelation came two weeks after he originally declined to comment on information provided to The Forum that appeared to show that the lawmaker used Grindr, a gay dating app.

"The 1,000-pound gorilla has been lifted," he told The Forum on Monday, confirming to the outlet that he had used the app to meet men. "I have to confront it at some point."

Well, at least he didn't try and come up with some threadbare excuse.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Yet Another Homophobe Outed
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 11:49:24 pm »
I'm conflicted about the justifications for outing gay politicians without their consent.

Sure, there are self-loathing gay politicians out there that wield state power over the LGBT community and play their part in making life harder for them. I do admit to feeling some satisfaction that a hypocrite who isn't willing to live by his own rules is exposed. On the other hand, there may be very good reasons why a politician is closeted and this new information may put his life at risk while at the same time not winning over any homophobic constituents to the cause of equality.

I'm not sure what the answer is yet.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Yet Another Homophobe Outed
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 12:17:10 am »
I'm conflicted about the justifications for outing gay politicians without their consent.

Sure, there are self-loathing gay politicians out there that wield state power over the LGBT community and play their part in making life harder for them. I do admit to feeling some satisfaction that a hypocrite who isn't willing to live by his own rules is exposed. On the other hand, there may be very good reasons why a politician is closeted and this new information may put his life at risk while at the same time not winning over any homophobic constituents to the cause of equality.

I'm not sure what the answer is yet.

Same. I generally hold to a rule of "you do not out anyone without their consent". But there is a strong argument that the anti-LGBT politician is a valid exception to that rule: for most people, their sexual orientation is entirely personal, at worst affecting them and their partners, whereas a politician that promotes anti-LGBT policies is actively harming people by being closeted.

The counter-argument is that this weakens the power of the rule (if you become comfortable ignoring one principle for one kind of political enemy, what's going to stop you from doing it again?), and that there's really no guarantee an outed politician has any significant effects on policy (there are more than enough cishet anti-LGBT politicians that will continue to be assholes).

I definitely don't believe in outing as punishment for hypocrisy.

On an entirely non-serious note: Randy. Boehning. To steal a line from someone else
if I wrote a book in which the lawmaker involved in a Grindr scandal was named Randy Boehning, my editor would throw me out of the room. But here we have it.
Σא