Author Topic: Left-Wing Assholes  (Read 53177 times)

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
Re: Left-Wing Assholes
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 01:30:16 am »
Yes, I popped my fuck no cherry!

But back to the discussion.

Did you see Beat Up Anita Sarkeesian, the game where you punch a picture of her and it gets increasingly bruised and bloodied?

Yes, I did.

http://www.urban75.com/Punch/index.html

I don't agree with everything she says, but she didn't use the trolling to avoid criticism and the trolling was entirely larger than anything that could be considered par for the course.

The great thing about Youtube is that there are mechanisms in place that allow her to address those issues, including requiring all comments to be approved and banning certain Youtube users from commenting.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:33:18 am by Whore of Spamylon »

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 01:36:45 am »
The great thing about Youtube is that there are mechanisms in place that allow her to address those issues, including requiring all comments to be approved and banning certain Youtube users from commenting.

First of all, even if she requires comments to be approved, she still ends up seeing them herself, not to mention they could easily clog up the "approved comments" list.

Second of all, anyone she blocks could easily just create a new account to troll her with.  And if Youtube tries to IP ban to get around this, there's ways around the IP ban, too.

The only way to prevent dedicated trolling on this level is to disable all comments and only allow whitelisted users to PM her.

I just don't find it reasonable at all to assume she's avoiding criticism when the only guy whose word you have to go on is The Amazing Atheist, a man who has a horrible track record with women as a whole.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:39:29 am by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

• Bishop
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 01:48:10 am »

First of all, even if she requires comments to be approved, she still ends up seeing them herself, not to mention they could easily clog up the "approved comments" list.

Second of all, anyone she blocks could easily just create a new account to troll her with.  And if Youtube tries to IP ban to get around this, there's ways around the IP ban, too.

The only way to prevent dedicated trolling on this level is to disable all comments and only allow whitelisted users to PM her.

Indeed, there are obstacles to moderating.

Though, she still manages to allow comments and ratings on her other videos, despite these obstacles.

I just don't find it reasonable at all to assume she's avoiding criticism when the only guy whose word you have to go on is The Amazing Atheist, a man who has a horrible track record with women as a whole.

Could you give a specific example that doesn't have to do with the incident towards someone with the reddit handle ICumWhenIKillMen?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:58:47 am by Whore of Spamylon »

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 01:53:47 am »

I really doubt she wants to spend every waking hour approving comments and blocking trolls. Because that's what she'd have to do to counteract the absolutely enormous tidal wave of bile that people would hurl at her. Even if she did, they'd just accuse her of censorship.

This isn't stopping people from talking about her video. We're doing it right now. People are talking about her video in gaming forums.
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 01:58:21 am »

Indeed, there are obstacles to moderating.

Though, she still manages to allow comments and ratings on her other videos, despite these obstacles.

If that's the case, then she's not really avoiding criticism at all, is she?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

• Bishop
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2013, 02:02:05 am »

If that's the case...

Yes, that is the case, and, therefore, maybe she can give comments and ratings on her newest video a go.

then she's not really avoiding criticism at all, is she?

For that particular video she is.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:05:43 am by Whore of Spamylon »

• Bishop
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 02:23:05 am »

I really doubt she wants to spend every waking hour approving comments and blocking trolls. Because that's what she'd have to do to counteract the absolutely enormous tidal wave of bile that people would hurl at her.

Good thing she got $150,000 from her kickstarter project.  Maybe she could hire someone to mod her page because, after all, the money is suppose to go towards the project.  Considering that the production values of her first video are on par with her previous work, I am pretty sure she has enough money to spare.

Even if she did, they'd just accuse her of censorship.

Because her current policy of no comments for her first video obviously hasn't garnered accusations of censorship yet.

This isn't stopping people from talking about her video. We're doing it right now. People are talking about her video in gaming forums.

But it is, coincidentally, stopping people from talking in a venue (that being the Youtube page) that is more than likely to garner both Anita supporters and detractors in one place.  People talking on videogame forums and gender issues forums are more than likely going to find themselves preaching to the choir.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:31:07 am by Whore of Spamylon »

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 02:29:54 am »

I really doubt she wants to spend every waking hour approving comments and blocking trolls. Because that's what she'd have to do to counteract the absolutely enormous tidal wave of bile that people would hurl at her.

Good thing she got $150,000 from her kickstarter project.  Maybe she could hire someone to mod her page because, after all, the money is suppose to go towards the project.  Considering that the production values of her first video are on par with her previous work, I am pretty sure she has enough money to spare.

The money's been going towards travelling to various conventions and companies to give speeches and presentations, IIRC.

Even if she did, they'd just accuse her of censorship.

Because her current policy of no comments for her first video obviously hasn't garnered accusations of censorship yet.
I should have said "even if she did, they'd still accuse her of censorship."

But it is, coincidentally, stopping people from talking in a venue (that being the Youtube page) that is more than likely to garner Anita supporters.  People talking on videogame forums are more than likely going to find themselves preaching to the choir.

I've seen a couple of conversations about her videos on gaming forums and the general consensus tends to be, "Wow, this is more reasonable than I thought it would be." And it's not like youtube exactly has a great format for discussion or is known for producing constructive dialogue.

Edited to reflect WoS's edit.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:39:32 am by FirsthandTuna »
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

• Bishop
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 02:43:03 am »

The money's been going towards travelling to various conventions and companies to give speeches and presentations, IIRC.

If that's the case, the Kickstarter page didn't mention those as expenses.

Quote from: Kickstarter page
THE PROJECT

With your help, I’ll produce a 5-video series (now expanded to 12 videos) entitled Tropes vs Women in Video Games, exploring female character stereotypes throughout the history of the gaming industry.  This ambitious project will primarily focus on these reoccurring tropes:

Damsel in Distress - Video #1
    The Fighting F#@k Toy - Video #2
    The Sexy Sidekick - Video #3
    The Sexy Villainess - Video #4
    Background Decoration - Video #5

1st Set of Stretch Goals Achieved!

Voodoo Priestess/Tribal Sorceress - Video #6
    Women as Reward - Video #7
    Mrs. Male Character - Video #8
    Unattractive Equals Evil - Video #9
    Man with Boobs - Video #10
    Positive Female Characters! - Video #11

2nd Stretch Goal Achieved!

Let's Bump up the Production Quality!

3rd Set of Stretch Goals Achieved!

Tropes vs Women in Video Games Classroom Curriculum
    Video #12 - Top 10 Most Common Defenses of Sexism in Games

Each video will be between 10 and 20 minutes long and available online for free for everyone and anyone to watch, share and use.

Creating these videos take a lot of time and money to produce. I will be researching and playing hundreds of titles from across the gaming industry (including some truly awful games that I wouldn’t wish upon anyone!). Your support will go towards production costs, equipment, games and downloadable content.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games

Art Vandelay

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 02:45:29 am »
Oh, Sarkeesian finally got around to making one of those videos. I suppose I'll give it a lookse at some point.

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 02:50:03 am »

If that's the case, the Kickstarter page didn't mention those as expenses.

Quote from: Kickstarter page
THE PROJECT

With your help, I’ll produce a 5-video series (now expanded to 12 videos) entitled Tropes vs Women in Video Games, exploring female character stereotypes throughout the history of the gaming industry.  This ambitious project will primarily focus on these reoccurring tropes:

Damsel in Distress - Video #1
    The Fighting F#@k Toy - Video #2
    The Sexy Sidekick - Video #3
    The Sexy Villainess - Video #4
    Background Decoration - Video #5

1st Set of Stretch Goals Achieved!

Voodoo Priestess/Tribal Sorceress - Video #6
    Women as Reward - Video #7
    Mrs. Male Character - Video #8
    Unattractive Equals Evil - Video #9
    Man with Boobs - Video #10
    Positive Female Characters! - Video #11

2nd Stretch Goal Achieved!

Let's Bump up the Production Quality!

3rd Set of Stretch Goals Achieved!

Tropes vs Women in Video Games Classroom Curriculum
    Video #12 - Top 10 Most Common Defenses of Sexism in Games

Each video will be between 10 and 20 minutes long and available online for free for everyone and anyone to watch, share and use.

Creating these videos take a lot of time and money to produce. I will be researching and playing hundreds of titles from across the gaming industry (including some truly awful games that I wouldn’t wish upon anyone!). Your support will go towards production costs, equipment, games and downloadable content.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games

Which couldn't have reasonably cost $150,000 unless she's spending shitloads on fancy special effects that don't need to be there. What's she supposed to do with the rest of the money? Most importantly, are there any backers who are complaining about the way it's been spent?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 02:52:49 am »
For that particular video she is.

Or perhaps it's because she knows it's a hot topic issue and so is actively preventing large amounts of arguments.  Because, you know, she wouldn't be the first or the last Youtube user to do that.

It's her Youtube channel, and her right to block comments.  That's why they give you that option, you know.

I have to say, assuming she's avoiding criticism is currently the least likely scenario, and thus the least reasonable assumption.  After all, if that's the only video she's got comments blocked on, she's left open many other options of criticizing her, even on her most recent video.  It's not her fault if you don't want to use them.

Regardless, this doesn't change the fact that TAA's pretty much anti-feminist all the way through.  And from what I understand about Anita, she's not one of the man-hating feminists, she's just dedicated to pointing out how the mainstream is subconsciously sexist.  Which it is.  She may not always get it right, but the amount of flak she gets for it is disproportionate to the extreme.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:54:27 am by Magus Silveresti »

• Bishop
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 02:58:44 am »
Which couldn't have reasonably cost $150,000 unless she's spending shitloads on fancy special effects that don't need to be there. What's she supposed to do with the rest of the money?

Do what politicians are supposed to do with money that is in their campaign warchest.  Let it set, use it for its stated purpose, or give it back to donors.

Most importantly, are there any backers who are complaining about the way it's been spent?

I don't know, but it is an irrelevant question when it comes to what is ethical.  She put forth what the money is going to be spent on, and that is what her donors should expect.

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 03:05:19 am »

Could you give a specific example that doesn't have to do with the incident towards someone with the reddit handle ICumWhenIKillMen?

Can't believe I didn't respond to this earlier. In the "ICumWhenIKillMen" debacle, he targeted women other than ICumWhenIKillMen, so it's not entirely irrelevant.

Also, this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNuAOfPQLDU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNuAOfPQLDU</a>

He generally hates feminism as a whole.

EDIT:
Which couldn't have reasonably cost $150,000 unless she's spending shitloads on fancy special effects that don't need to be there. What's she supposed to do with the rest of the money?

Do what politicians are supposed to do with money that is in their campaign warchest.  Let it set, use it for its stated purpose, or give it back to donors.

Actually, I was wrong here. I just checked and she's claimed to have upgraded her computers and software as well as hired a dedicated crew.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:07:34 am by FirsthandTuna »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2013, 03:15:53 am »

I missed this earlier, too.

From his RationalWiki article:

Everybody should have the right to do anything they want within the realm of consent, as long as it doesn't infringe upon the freedoms of anyone else; at least that's what Kincaid says he believes. This includes staring at women. He derides "feminists" as being anti-sex, or if they are "sex positive" as hypocritical when they tell him staring at women is not appropriate.
Yet another Kincaid-related controversy/rant is over feminism.[7] While Kincaid claims to believe in equal rights for all humans, he believes feminism is an ideology based on female supremacy[8] that seeks the granting of special rights to women. He once compared feminism to the KKK, suggesting that feminism had turned from a big, scary movement to something pitiable, much like the KKK,[9]
In February 2012, after calling out a rape victim and using graphic descriptions of how he would rape her again, this "Amazing" guy was was taken to task by PZ Myers and others for his misogyny.[10][11] [12] The incident took place on the social networking site Reddit under his username; it included such statements as "I think we should give the guy who raped you a medal. I hope you fucking drown in rape semen, you ugly, mean-spirited cow."[1] Supposedly this was some sort of clever satire of... something.[13]
One controversial video is "Bullies," where he expressed the view that "being a bully doesn't make you a monster, and being bullied doesn't make you a victim," and called suicidal bullying victims "weak."[16] This led to a very mixed reaction amongst his audience; he responded to the intense criticism with a follow-up video, "Macho Trolling."[17]
This caring, empathic attitude was again revealed in his treatment of the story of Amanda Todd, a teenage girl who committed suicide in October 2012, not long after posting a video on Youtube detailing her story of being subjected to a sustained campaign of blackmail, stalking and bullying.[18][19] Upon hearing of Amanda's suicide, Kincaid posted a picture on his Tumblr blog of him holding a sign, similar to the manner in which Amanda Todd did in her video, saying "I am the other hundreds of thousands of people who died today other than Amanda fucking Todd."[20] A subsequent post had him dismissing her in light of unnamed people who died in "far worse" situations:[21]
And unlike Amanda, ... these people died against their will. They fought with their last ounce of courage to survive, and they still died. I find their deaths more worthy of tribute than some spoiled teenage girl that offed herself at the first sign of adversity.

Any questions?  By the way, I only included stuff that was sourced.  Which was all but one line.  Wykked posted the link to the page on the second page of the thread.