Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 386909 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #285 on: January 07, 2017, 01:34:44 am »
And the Senate just defunded Planned Parenthood. I wish I was surprised.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #286 on: January 07, 2017, 02:11:47 am »
And the Senate just defunded Planned Parenthood. I wish I was surprised.

Holy shit. Which of Murkowski and Collins signed onto that? (If both didn't, it'd've failed on Biden's tiebreaking vote.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #287 on: January 07, 2017, 02:22:35 am »
I'm digging for more, but I may have spoken too soon. Stand by.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #288 on: January 07, 2017, 02:25:59 am »
I'm digging for more, but I may have spoken too soon. Stand by.

My small amount of digging turned up that they'd passed the motion that will let them use reconciliation on the ACA repeal, which Ryan has said will also include a defunding of Planned Parenthood. The vote was apparently 51-48, with Paul voting with the Democrats (because of his concerns over how the Republicans are going about repealing the ACA).
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #289 on: January 07, 2017, 02:35:42 am »
Regardless, the fact that the Republicans are more concerned with taking health care away from the poor than doing something actually productive is both depressing and infuriating.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #290 on: January 07, 2017, 02:42:19 am »
Regardless, the fact that the Republicans are more concerned with taking health care away from the poor than doing something actually productive is both depressing and infuriating.

Playing to their base by getting to talk about how they're voting to defund "abortion giant" Planned Parenthood is productive for them. Shoring up your base is essential to winning elections.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #291 on: January 07, 2017, 06:09:39 am »

Playing to their base by getting to talk about how they're voting to defund "abortion giant" Planned Parenthood is productive for them. Shoring up your base is essential to winning elections.
Well in the case of Republicans it's more essential in winning primaries isn't it?

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #292 on: January 07, 2017, 12:04:47 pm »
This is the Republican congress were talking about as well. The we don't want to spend money on anything congress especially infrastructure. How he's going to get them to approve of a 8 to 12 billion dollar project is beyond me. And his jerk off fantasy of getting Mexico to pay for it? No, you know what? Build the wall using our taxes, do it so you can see how Mexico isn't going to pay for something they never wanted in the first place.

it was never about not spending money, it was about Obama. Many of the same people were in Congress during the Bush years, which took us from our greatest national surplus to our largest nation deficit (people like to conveniently ignore that the 2009 budget was Bush's, as the 2017 budget is Obama's). Obama cut that deficit by almost 2/3, but disregard that.

And the wall is so fucking stupid, it'll cost probably 20 Billion to built, it will need constant upkeep and repair (running the cost even higher), it's a giant fucking boondoggle with Mexico (who ranks third in the world in terms of buying American goods, behind Canada and the ENTIRE European FUCKING Union, thanks NAFTA!), and it's overall effect on immigration is still up for debate. In short, it's a stupid decision that could only have been made by a stupid idiot.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #293 on: January 07, 2017, 12:43:29 pm »
And there's a huge problem with the border wall I don't think Trump's addressed yet: Texas. Treaties forbid both America and Mexico to build anything in the Rio Grande's floodplains, which means he'd have to build much of the wall on what is currently private property. Most of said private property is owned by ranchers, whose livelihoods are tied to the land they own, so it's unlikely they'd sell. He could use eminent domain to get the land, but that would be a very risky move.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #294 on: January 07, 2017, 03:04:06 pm »
And there's a huge problem with the border wall I don't think Trump's addressed yet: Texas. Treaties forbid both America and Mexico to build anything in the Rio Grande's floodplains, which means he'd have to build much of the wall on what is currently private property. Most of said private property is owned by ranchers, whose livelihoods are tied to the land they own, so it's unlikely they'd sell. He could use eminent domain to get the land, but that would be a very risky move.

Or he just gets Texas to use eminent domain themselves, because that state's eminent domain laws are ridiculously lax. They've had no qualms doing that with the Trans-Pecos Pipeline, which provides exactly zero public good.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #295 on: January 07, 2017, 03:25:02 pm »
Thing is doing such a thing would open his own supporters eyes as to just how bad the GOP really is.

Ironbite-this is not something that'll ever come to fruition in his lifetime.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #296 on: January 07, 2017, 04:09:30 pm »
Thing is doing such a thing would open his own supporters eyes as to just how bad the GOP really is.

Ironbite-this is not something that'll ever come to fruition in his lifetime.

Won't matter, they'll never vote for a Demoncrat, they'll just abstain.

And anyway, the Republicans are trying to gut the federal government so badly that it won't matter how long the Dems control it after this, they can never put it back together.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #297 on: January 07, 2017, 08:56:39 pm »

Ha, that's funny.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #298 on: January 08, 2017, 03:40:54 am »
Meanwhile, let's all hope the US nuclear codes are longer than 140 characters.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #299 on: January 08, 2017, 06:17:08 am »
For much of the Cold war the code to launch US nuclear missiles was just a row of zeroes because that's what the default was. The fact that no one tried to launch the nukes while joking around or because they wanted to start WW3 is proof enough that people are capable of being good.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!