Author Topic: New plan by Occupy Wall St.  (Read 4471 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
New plan by Occupy Wall St.
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:08:34 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKZNs745bk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKZNs745bk</a>

Long story short, OWS has implemented a program where they buy up debt from banks in the same way loan sharks do (severely reduced price). But, instead of hounding the debt holder and demanding the money, they instead call them and say that the debt has been forgiven and not to worry about it anymore. In return they're asking for small donations to help continue the program, which OWS spokespeople say is entirely feasible given how much the debt is devalued when it obviously can't be paid.

I have to agree with the anchors here: this is the best idea OWS has had since they began.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Art Vandelay

Re: New plan by Occupy Wall St.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 09:14:48 pm »
As long as they can keep it funded, that's a really good idea.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:16:12 pm »
*sits up*

Wait

What

This is actually a fantastic idea.

Will they have the funds to support this though?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline wrongfrog

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 09:16:54 pm »
That's awesome, maybe it'll help them get away from the "whiny college liberal" image that they've had for so long.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:20:43 pm »
Speaking as a former collections paralegal...this idea is pure fucking brilliance.

And it's totally legal, too.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 09:37:04 pm »
Update: I'm doing a little more digging, and this plan seems to be incredibly new. So far, I've only found one article on HuffPo: will update as I find more. The current plan is to raise funds via standard donations and, as of right now, a live concert in NYC. While this plan certainly shows promise, consumer debt was 2.7 trillion as of September, and, since debt is sold in bundled deals, there's no way to pick and choose who benefits; the winners of this idea come completely with random and with no foreknowledge.

I must say, after OWS lost pretty much all coverage by... every news source I got to, I was pretty sure the movement was done for. Well, that and the fact they hadn't exactly progressed beyond camping in public parks after six months. To see that they're not only still around, but coming up with proactive solutions like this and disaster relief* is a refreshing change of pace.

*Apologies if that should be in a different thread. I know the old OWS thread is buried somewhere, but it probably counts as dead after as long as it's been untouched.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 10:16:11 pm »
This is the smartest idea I've heard in a while.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 10:19:41 pm »
Hooray! Viva #OWS!

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 10:22:31 pm »
I think its a nice charity.

But my boyfriend apparently thinks its dumb. While he's being hounded by a debt agency.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 10:31:25 pm »

But my boyfriend apparently thinks its dumb. While he's being hounded by a debt agency.
Then I hope with all sincerity that he receives a much needed bailout.

EDIT: And here is the fundamental difference between leftists and conservative libertarians.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 10:35:18 pm »

Then I hope with all sincerity that he receives a much needed bailout.

EDIT: And here is the fundamental difference between leftists and conservative libertarians.

Thanks. I love the guy, even if we don't agree on all our politics.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 02:47:28 am »
Oh shit, I like where this is going.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 02:51:08 am »
For the price of the bailout of the US banking sector, every loan could have been forgiven in this way.

I think it's a nice gesture, and a good PR stunt- but any private organisation or charity's objective should be to leverage state power to achieve their objective, since they will never be able to come close to doing so themselves. Want cancer research? Don't finance 10 million dollars of cancer research, throw 10 million dollars in bribes to the Federal Government in order that it will fund 3 billion dollars of cancer research.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 04:07:37 am »
Great idea but...the sharks aren't going to take this lying down. once the sharks start outbidding OWS, it's over.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 04:25:01 am »
Great idea but...the sharks aren't going to take this lying down. once the sharks start outbidding OWS, it's over.
The reason why the debt is so cheap is because nobody who intends to make money on it wants to buy it. If they did, this wouldn't be a feasible strategy in the first place.