Author Topic: NY Passes Gun Control  (Read 33199 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
NY Passes Gun Control
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:19:59 pm »
Hmmm, I like the cut of his jib.

New gun control legislation has now been signed into law by NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo and it happens to be the toughest in the nation, with an expansion of the assault weapons ban and mandatory background checks for purchasing ammunition. Gun enthusiasts are predictably enraged, and not a single fuck was given that day.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: NY Passes Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 10:30:57 pm »
Inb4 we do not need this
I will say that this got by with bipartisan support

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 10:39:19 pm »
Inb4 we do not need this
I will say that this got by with bipartisan support
Just to build on that, I will say there's a difference between a gun owner and a gun nut. I have friends who are gun owners. Alex Jones is a gun nut.

And George Carlin said it best:

"Here's another group of mutants with missing chromosomes who ought to be thrown screaming from a helicopter. Gun enthusiasts. 'Yeah, I'm a gun enthusiast.' Oh yeah? Well I'm a blowjob enthusiast. Wanna see me shoot? Cock this and I'll discharge a load for you."

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:50:44 pm »
Hmmm...did read about it. I do like most of it. The checks on ammunition will be a big help, I'm sure. I'm not sure the seven round limit on ammunition will help. Most shotguns don't carry that much and it would increase the demand for revolvers, most of which only carry five or six rounds. But I think I'll wait and see what happens with it.

I suppose my biggest issue is that it's possible that people will cross state lines to get firearms and ammunition. Unless NY State and local cops set up checkpoints to search for such things, there may be little they can do, especially if they get firearms that would be considered grandfathered (unless no such provision exists in the new law).

I'll sit back and watch, and see how this turns out.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:55:14 pm »
I dunno about NYC but if you live where Distind and I are the nearest state is two hours away.

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 10:56:17 pm »
I dunno about NYC but if you live where Distind and I are the nearest state is two hours away.
Where in NY are you guys from? You don't have to be too specific--I'm from Central NY and go to school three hours away in MA.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:58:18 pm »
We live in the Rochester Area.  2.5 Hours from Erie Pennsylvania.  Now NYC is close to NJ and CT but those two states might follow suit.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:30:21 pm »
Knowing gun nuts, you'd be surprised how far they'd go to circumvent things like this.

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 11:31:37 pm »
Knowing gun nuts, you'd be surprised how far they'd go to circumvent things like this.
Surprised? No. Horrified? More likely.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:39:08 pm »
My heart hopes, for the sake of lives, that these reforms work. My brain, however, expects it to go roughly as well as Prohibition and the War on Drugs.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 11:43:28 pm »
My three biggest complaints about this?

Basically trying to ban and register "assault weapons," a firearm which is used in less than 2% of violent crime and kills fewer people than fucking knives.

The magazine limit. 7 rounds? Seriously? The only reason they did this was so they can claim to be the toughest in the nation. Never mind that this would basically make my ye olde 1911 useless if I lived in New York. I don't own anything but 8-round magazines. And how about the shotguns with 8-round mags? Now they've become illegal. And while getting a 7-round mag for a 1911 would be little trouble, I am aware of no such magazines for other popular semi-auto pistols such as the Beretta, Glock, Browning, CZ or any other full-sized frame firearm. They all have 10 round mags because that's been the commonly accepted (if arbitrary) cut-off before the magazine becomes "high capacity." All this has done is give validity to the NRA when they said oh so long ago that if you allow them to get away with limiting magazines to 10 rounds, soon they'll want to limit them even further. Congrats, you've cut the nuts off legal firearm owners and done something no one else had even considered and got the "toughest laws in the nation" Mayor. Have yourself a cookie and then take a long walk off a short pier.

The speed with which this was rammed through. Shot through the senate and signed in two days. No time for public review, no time for anyone to voice their objections before we found what was in this package. It makes me feel utterly filthy to say this, but I agree with the Republican Assemblyman Marc Butler when he called it politics at its worst. When a bill is passed that quickly I can only think that it was done because the people proposing it knew it would be so unpopular it'd never pass if people were allowed to see it. It also puzzled me because we've already established precedent that a ban on firearms which are in common use is unconstitutional with the D.C. v Heller ruling and the later McDonald v. Chicago ruling. If this doesn't go to the courts I'll eat my foot.

Other than those things, I'm fine with it, save for the possible breech of doctor-patient confidentiality regarding the mental illness part. That needs some more work. But those three aspects of it can get fucked.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 11:48:11 pm »
Even though the ban itself is pointless, I don't have a problem with the background check, but it would help if other states follow suit with having better background checks. And I agree with that it might open a door to a breech of doctor-patient confidentiality, I would like to see how that part plays out.

That being said, since it seems that there's a good deal of us from the state of NY, we really need to have a meetup...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:40:26 am by Empress Nicki »

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 12:07:10 am »
Hmmm...gotta go with Damen on that end. As I said before, I didn't like the ammo limit. It hadn't occurred to me (long day, and no, I do not wish to talk about it) that they're going back to banning "assault weapons." Also, enforcement will be an issue, not to mention constitutional muster. I must have fallen asleep at the wheel to let that slip by. My apologies.

The licensing and ammunition things are both good ideas overall. I'm just not sure that the 7-round limit would pass muster.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 12:33:48 am »
Hmmm...gotta go with Damen on that end. As I said before, I didn't like the ammo limit. It hadn't occurred to me (long day, and no, I do not wish to talk about it) that they're going back to banning "assault weapons." Also, enforcement will be an issue, not to mention constitutional muster. I must have fallen asleep at the wheel to let that slip by. My apologies.

The licensing and ammunition things are both good ideas overall. I'm just not sure that the 7-round limit would pass muster.

Basically all of this.

Yes, I know it seems weird all of the gun owners are against this but it really is because we know what we're talking about when it comes to this stupid mag limit.

My pistol is out of the law. Almost all of the other guns I have are out of the law except my 1939 Mosin-Nagant because it's one in the chamber or five or seven to a stripper clip.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 12:41:42 am »
It needed to be done, for the sake of security and for the security of our children.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer