Author Topic: Defund Affordable Care Act Or We'll Shut Down Government  (Read 58475 times)

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
Defund Affordable Care Act Or We'll Shut Down Government
« on: September 18, 2013, 07:09:40 pm »
That's what the Republicans are threatening to do.

House Republican leaders announced Wednesday morning that they would take a risky double-barreled attack on President Obama’s health-care law, making it the cornerstone fight over government funding due to expire Sept. 30 and the effort to lift the Treasury’s borrowing authority.

Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio), flanked by his leadership team, told reporters that the stopgap government funding bill that they will advance Friday would yield to conservative demands of including a rider to block funding for the law commonly known as Obamacare.

In addition, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) laid out his party’s legislative grab bag of requests that will be attached to a bill that would lift the debt ceiling, including a delay of the health law, an overhaul of the tax code and approval of an energy pipeline running from Canada to the gulf coast.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/house-republicans-plan-friday-vote-on-defunding-obamacare/2013/09/18/bbcc9d66-206e-11e3-b7d1-7153ad47b549_story.html?tid=pm_politics_pop

Great job, Republicans. Holding the country's credit and government hostage in order to prevent more people from getting health care. Just when you think they couldn't sink any lower.

I would say that I hope the Republicans go through with their threat because the last time they caused a government shut down it bit them in the ass. But given how misunderstood and disliked the ACA is the majority of the public might think it's repeal is better than a government shutdown.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Defund Affordable Care Act Or We'll Shut Down Government
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:25:06 pm »
Well, they stop funding paying the government, except for congress, naturally. Also, am I the only one struck by how the only way to keep the country running is to keep raising our debt limit with no actual stop in sight? What would actually happen if they stalemated long enough for the government to actually lose funding for a period of time.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 07:28:18 pm »
Well, they stop funding paying the government, except for congress, naturally. Also, am I the only one struck by how the only way to keep the country running is to keep raising our debt limit with no actual stop in sight? What would actually happen if they stalemated long enough for the government to actually lose funding for a period of time.

The US economy may collapse, and drag the rest of the world with it. 
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 07:29:39 pm »

The US economy may collapse, and drag the rest of the world with it.

Are there sharp rocks at the bottom?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 07:30:04 pm »
Very sharp rocks.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 07:33:43 pm »
I keep forgetting, when was the last time Obama caved in to the Republicans?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 07:34:35 pm »
Bring it on.

I was thinking it would mean a loss of any government service until the issue was resolved, meaning no cops, meaning total anarchy.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 07:47:24 pm »
Actually, Obama is pretty much set on fighting this.  So he's not gonna back down on this.  He's actually calling their bluff.

Ironbite-and it's a bluff they don't want called.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 07:49:21 pm »
I love it when politicians play chicken with the national economy.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 08:17:16 pm »
Let 'em try it. Fuck 'em. The governments' been shut down before easily four times since I've been an adult. Nobody starved, no rioting, nothing but a waste of time. It's just a filibuster grown into a huge fart-filled balloon. Let 'em light it up and it goes, "boom"...then everything's back to where it was to start with. They did this same shit to Clinton when he came up with a balanced budget plan...and it worked, once they were done with their little Katie Kaboom meltdown tantrum.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:55:22 pm »
So in anyones quick opinion what is the number one reason why house republicans hate the ACA so much?
Is it because Obama came up with it?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 08:58:30 pm »
Yes.

Ironbite-that's it.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 08:59:06 pm »
With this Republican party, that is a big influence, but I personally think that it's more the fact that health and insurance companies can't gouge their customers as much.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 09:19:40 pm »
So in anyones quick opinion what is the number one reason why house republicans hate the ACA so much?
Is it because Obama came up with it?
I'd say it's a tie between that and the fact it helps poor people, and especially poor minorities.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 09:20:24 pm »
Soooo...either defund the ACA, or they'll get an extra couple of nap times into their already sleep-laden schedules?  Let 'em sleep.  Maybe we'll get lucky and botflies will lay eggs that burrow into and eat their brains.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.