Author Topic: Taliban attacks school; 145 dead  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Taliban attacks school; 145 dead
« on: December 16, 2014, 07:33:24 pm »
But on Tuesday, the Taliban took their war on education to a ruthless new low, with a concerted assault on a crowded school in Peshawar that killed 145 people, most of them uniformed schoolchildren, in the deadliest single attack in the group’s history.

During an eight-hour rampage at the Army Public School and Degree College, a team of nine Taliban gunmen stormed through the corridors and assembly hall, firing at random and throwing grenades. Some children were lined up and slaughtered with shots to the head. Others were gunned down as they cowered under their desks, or forced to watch their teachers being riddled with bullets.

Their parents crowded around the school gates, listening to the explosions and gunfire as Pakistani commandos stormed the building, praying their children would survive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/17/world/asia/taliban-attack-pakistani-school.html?_r=0
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Taliban attacks school; 145 dead
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 07:35:06 pm »
Evil.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 08:17:40 pm »
This is monstrous!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 08:28:30 pm »
What can be said but the obvious? this is beyond horrifying.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 12:56:40 am »
You know, I can't help but wonder if the Taliban shot themselves in the foot here. Pakistan is a rather religious place, and I think it's safe to say that some of the parents might have supported, or at least thought they supported, the Taliban. I'd hazard a guess that they've just made a whole lot more enemies.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 01:44:07 am »
Times like this, I wish we could magically remove all the innocents from the area and just turn that pit into one giant crater of melted glass.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.   There is evil (no relativistic junk involved, just pure evil) in the world, and what those bastards did is a perfect example of it.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 07:43:30 am »

this seems appropriate for the thread.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 08:56:52 am »

http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 09:01:34 am »

cnn went on to fearmonger? really? just because it's on the other side of the world doesn't mean it doesn't hit as hard everywhere. this is a goddamn tragedy, you self-centered sorry excuse for a news channel.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 09:06:16 am »

cnn went on to fearmonger? really? just because it's on the other side of the world doesn't mean it doesn't hit as hard everywhere. this is a goddamn tragedy, you self-centered sorry excuse for a news channel.

I'm not surprised.  Appalled, but not surprised.  Remember their coverage of Steubenville?

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 09:08:04 am »

I'm not surprised.  Appalled, but not surprised.  Remember their coverage of Steubenville?

no i don't, since i'm not living in the usa and i don't have a tv. was it as bad?

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 09:08:37 am »
...I thought about linking those tweets but was afraid it would distract from the real issue here. Much like CNN already did.

Attacking civilians is always a cowardly act but targeting children really is a special kind of evil. I just hope that Pakistan will find those responsible for  the massacre and makes sure they can never harm anyone again. (I also hope that the Taliban will lose their support over this, but that might be wishful thinking.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 09:11:58 am »

no i don't, since i'm not living in the usa and i don't have a tv. was it as bad?

Bad?  It was downright loathsome!

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 02:11:49 pm »
I got nothing here. Shooting defenseless schoolchildren in the head one by one? How do these people live with themselves?
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 07:56:06 pm »
I got nothing here. Shooting defenseless schoolchildren in the head one by one? How do these people live with themselves?

At risk of sounding like I'm excusing them, I've heard of a field of study that takes the relationship between diet and behavior and applies those findings on a mass scale. Lack of zinc has been linked to aggression and lack of empathy, and the typical diet historically afforded by the resources of the Middle East ends up yielding a diet markedly below average in zinc.

Not an excuse but something to think about; maybe improving nutrition in the region can be part of the solution to stopping the violence.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.