Community > Politics and Government

Canadian Politics

(1/5) > >>

Skybison:
So any other Canadians here paying attention to the conservative party leadership that's concluding this weekend? I admit I haven't been paying as much attention as I should, what with the US burning down and all.

For anyone who doesn't follow Canadian politics (so everyone) it's been a good news/bad news thing. Good news is that Canada won't be Trumping this time around. I was terrified our conservative party was going to go full Trump, it looked like that same set up, a divided field with way too many candidates and all the attention going to a) Kellie Leitch the xenophobic race baiter and b) Kevin O'leary the deranged rich asshole with a reality show. But then it just didn't happen, Leitch failed to go anywhere and O'leary dropped out of the race at the last minute.

Instead the favorite to win is Maxime Bernier, a libertarian who wants to legalize pot and destroy single payer healthcare because FREEDOM!!!!!! How you hate freedom so much that you want to force poor people have access to health care?

I'm still pissed that Justin Trudeau broke his promise on proportional representation, but I hope we keep him around to keep us away from extremist economic policies that are proven not to work.

dpareja:
The Liberals, for the last 121 years (read: since Laurier became PM), have been Conservatives in drag, by which I mean that their economic policies are slightly less bad (a lot of the good stuff came out of Liberal minorities where they leaned on CCF/NDP support) and their social policies are actually OK. I'd much rather have an actual social democratic government, just not with Mulcair as PM (because he's an attack dog, not a leader).

And I haven't been following the Conservative race that closely, but if that's Bernier's actual position on health care... welcome to unelectability.

Meanwhile, we get to have some minority government fun here in BC, with the legislature consisting of 43 Liberals (note: the BC Liberal Party is a centre-right coalition of federal Liberals and Conservatives), 41 NDPers, and 3 Greens. The Lieutenant-Governor's going to have some fun deciding what to do if Premier Clark loses a confidence vote and asks for a dissolution while Horgan and Weaver are saying they can form a coalition government...

Id82:
Isn't the single payer system in Canada extremely popular? It would seem that anyone that would go against popular laws and legislation would probably hurt them.

dpareja:
Oh, Kellie Leitch...

dpareja:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/andrew-scheer-leadership-1.4136808

Meanwhile, there's some questions as to whether a potential Prime Minister Scheer would seek to impose his own religious views on Canadians, especially since it appears it was social and religious conservatives within the Conservative Party who won him the leadership.

And in what may be a worrying sign, his platform is already gone from his leadership campaign's website.

EDIT:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-joe-clark-analysis-wherry-1.4135852

Comparing Andrew Scheer to Joe Clark: a 30-something Conservative leader taking on a charismatic Trudeau.

And what might be one of the best descriptions of Canadians ever:

--- Quote ---"Trudeau was what Canadians really wanted to be — intellectual, suave, worldly, independent and unpredictable — while Clark was what they feared they were — earnest, nice, competent, unimaginative, honest and rather dull," Ron Graham wrote in a 1983 profile of Clark for Saturday Night magazine.
--- End quote ---

These days, humorously, Joe Clark is probably the most respected "elder statesman" in Canadian politics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version