Author Topic: 8-Year Old Biracial Boy Almost Lynched  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: 8-Year Old Biracial Boy Almost Lynched
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 05:53:19 pm »
2017!  LYNCHING!  AN 8 YEAR OLD!

Ironbite-THE FUCK!?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:15:24 am »
Every time I think "this is rock bottom" with human nature it gets worse.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 01:26:14 am »
Every one of those white teenagers deserve to be beaten to death.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 02:53:46 am »

No, just near to. They should be allowed to think they were able to escape before they actually died.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 03:44:28 am »

No, just near to. They should be allowed to think they were able to escape before they actually died.

True, true.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 03:48:01 am »
Guys.

A Fair trial followed by a prison sentence and making this story get a lot of publicity is the best option.

Next time someone claims that "white's are the real victims of oppression" or that racists are just "economically anxious" and they should be allowed to spread their hate publicly you can point to this and all the other stories.

This is why teaching hate, spreading hateful propaganda and marching FOR hate should be banned.

It's so easy to say "but what about freedom of speech" when a some "respectable" looking guy is "just saying" that we should kill all [insert minority] but the truth is that by giving them platform you are contributing to their speech turning to actions.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to violate the hate-speech laws in Finland? You can complain all you want about economic situations and heritage and stuff like that but by the time someone says, "ok, now you went too far" you are well into Hitler-territory. Laws against hate-speech do not squash legitimate politics.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 11:51:26 am »
Guys.

A Fair trial followed by a prison sentence and making this story get a lot of publicity is the best option.

Next time someone claims that "white's are the real victims of oppression" or that racists are just "economically anxious" and they should be allowed to spread their hate publicly you can point to this and all the other stories.

This is why teaching hate, spreading hateful propaganda and marching FOR hate should be banned.

It's so easy to say "but what about freedom of speech" when a some "respectable" looking guy is "just saying" that we should kill all [insert minority] but the truth is that by giving them platform you are contributing to their speech turning to actions.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to violate the hate-speech laws in Finland? You can complain all you want about economic situations and heritage and stuff like that but by the time someone says, "ok, now you went too far" you are well into Hitler-territory. Laws against hate-speech do not squash legitimate politics.

Glenn Greenwald would beg to differ.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:26:13 pm »
a) France discriminating against Muslims really should not be a surprise by now. Remember the Burgha bans in the name of "freedom of religion."

b) The first British example is literally a person promoting the deaths of people. Had he simply critizized the UK and their military for their actions rather than wishing for deaths and eternal damnation of their people that could have gone differently.

Show me a law that is perfect and will never be used to to suppress people. So far I'm still on the side of laws that forbid hate speech.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 05:38:01 pm »
I'm definitely for laws that prevent doxxing or harassment but the danger in laws against 'hate speech' is that laws are a weapon in the hands of the powerful and I don't trust the bastards.

If some bright spark working in a PR office comes up with the idea that corporations are a class of entities that 'hate speech' is used against (they're people, remember) then look out activists raising awareness about nefarious corporate practices, sweatshops and influence buying, look out unions too.

It's the same reason that I don't support the death penalty, sure-some people do deserve to die, but I don't trust the people who currently have power to make that decision fairly or competently..

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 05:45:40 pm »
I'm definitely for laws that prevent doxxing or harassment but the danger in laws against 'hate speech' is that laws are a weapon in the hands of the powerful and I don't trust the bastards.

I'm even dubious about harassment, just because it's hard to define where the line is. (Note that just because I'm dubious doesn't mean I'm opposed to it. I am not arguing that I should be allowed to tell a female coworker, "Nice tits," and make a grab for them.)

But, yes, I definitely do not trust the bastards. "Hate speech" is too nebulous a concept and can too easily come to cover legitimate criticism and not just "They're evil, kill them!"
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 05:51:04 pm »

I'm even dubious about harassment, just because it's hard to define where the line is. (Note that just because I'm dubious doesn't mean I'm opposed to it. I am not arguing that I should be allowed to tell a female coworker, "Nice tits," and make a grab for them.)

But, yes, I definitely do not trust the bastards. "Hate speech" is too nebulous a concept and can too easily come to cover legitimate criticism and not just "They're evil, kill them!"
"I'm gonna rape you" or other direct threat to do someone harm directed at them, not as some general overall statement. Stealing private information and using that to contact you directly either over the telephone or in person. For me, those go beyond speech.

For me, I agree that the best counter to hate speech in the public square is counter speech for this reason.
(click to show/hide)
What I'm against is someone finding your private details and going to your home or calling you on the phone to yell at you. That's not the public square, that's private.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 09:13:14 pm »

Economic anxiety can increase racial tension but imo it isn't exclusively a thing that makes people racist and it certainly isn't (or shouldn't be, anyhow) an excuse for lynchings, attempted or otherwise.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 11:21:57 pm »

Economic anxiety can increase racial tension but imo it isn't exclusively a thing that makes people racist and it certainly isn't (or shouldn't be, anyhow) an excuse for lynchings, attempted or otherwise.
When people crunched the numbers for the socioeconomic status of typical Trump voters, class wasn't anywhere near as big a factor as race was. I'd venture that the real anxiety expressed in that election wasn't economic, though it may well in the next one.

Yeah-economic anxieties are factors in racial tensions, but, I agree with you it's a more complicated picture. Cultural, religious and national anxieties also play a big, big factor.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 11:28:04 pm »
Keep in mind that it won't be very long before whites are only a plurality in the US, not a majority, and the racists know it.