Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Society and History / Re: Gillete Ad Upsets Manosphere Crybabies
« Last post by Chaos Undivided on Today at 06:57:55 pm »
It's not that I don't get where they're coming from, please make no misunderstanding of that. And it's because I understand their gripes that I can dismiss them so easily.

It's less the "don't be an asshole" message and more the heavy implication that most men are either sexually harassing bullies or enablers of sexually harassing bullies. Here's a direct quote from the commercial:

Quote from: Gillette
We believe in the best in men. To say the right thing. To act the right way. Some already are in ways big and small. But some is not enough.

Emphasis mine. Askold was correct that it doesn't portray all men in such a negative light. But that doesn't really make it better. Remember this?

Quote from: Lord Dampnut
When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. ... They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

When you depict a majority of a demographic as being "wrong" in some way, you are going to ruffle some feathers, even if you add the qualifier that some aren't.

It's both fascinating and frustrating how it's so difficult for many people to understand how changing a social context can change the implications of a message. I guess it gives a comforting feeling of being more intelligent when you reduce a complex reality into simplified logical abstractions. Trying to pierce this illusion by bringing the complexities of communication and social contexts can be dismissed as being hypocritical and/or insufficiently intellectual.

This reduction can also be used to consciously dismiss any inconvenient context in order to play semantic games where the purpose is to just own the opponent. This type of game can often be an efficient trolling tactic.

I'm guessing from the context that you're talking about my hypothetical "black" version of this ad. Well, I see where you're coming from, and it's not a 1:1 comparison. But these comparisons aren't necessarily bad. There are times when drawing such comparisons is justified, even if you don't believe in moral universalism like I do. In America, men generally receive longer sentences than women for the same crimes, similar to how things are for black people as compared to white people. Wouldn't you say both are evidence of systemic bias?
Entertainment and Television / Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Last post by Chaos Undivided on Today at 06:38:10 pm »
So, the latest AC:O DLC forces Kassandra into a straight romance, regardless of player choice. Even ignoring the sexual orientation angle, invalidating player choice is a major dick move. They don't even have the "we need a direct descendant" excuse anymore, since that requirement was done away with in AC4.
Society and History / Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Last post by rookie on Today at 06:31:28 pm »
With that attitude, far away from fighting men and women id where you belong.
« Last post by rookie on Today at 06:30:18 pm »
It's not that I don't get where they're coming from, please make no misunderstanding of that. And it's because I understand their gripes that I can dismiss them so easily.
« Last post by Chaos Undivided on Today at 05:32:49 pm »
You don't have to agree with the detractors, but I think it would be a good idea to at least try and understand where they're coming from rather than just dismissing them.
Society and History / Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Last post by ironbite on Today at 04:51:49 pm »
Oh for the love of god.
Sad how people think war is something to be proud of, and call fallen "heroes" to random men that just believed in (((their))) propaganda, when will you learn that we dont win anything, but we do lose our lives fighting for (((them))).Id rather put a bullet in my skull than kill people for (((them))), peace.
Politics and Government / Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Last post by ironbite on Today at 03:37:08 pm »
Not like anyone in Kentucky is gonna vote against him.

Ironbite-man's gonna be in office until the day he dies.
Politics and Government / Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Last post by DarkPhoenix on Today at 03:22:24 pm »
Latest bullshit from the constantly full of shit, and currently AWOL Mitch "Turtle" McConnell: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/call-hr-1-what-it-is-the-democrat-politician-protection-act/2019/01/17/dcc957be-19cb-11e9-9ebf-c5fed1b7a081_story.html?utm_term=.285b3827d7cb

Is there ANYTHING in there that is true at all?  Besides fair elections being a major threat to Republicans?

Oh, and yes, he did just admit that Republicans couldn't win elections without cheating.  Unusually honest of him.
« Last post by rookie on Today at 01:31:10 pm »
The fact that people keep crying about this Gillette ad so much means that either they have no understanding of nuance or they are dishonest in their arguments.

Or that they just want to be offended.

As a beard having flannel shirts wearing tree chopping many man, I'm the opposite of offended or outraged. All Gillette's doing is saying out loud what we men have been told since boyhood. And if don't be a dick offends, maybe they should be offended.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10