Author Topic: Louisana School kicks out Pregnant Teens  (Read 2320 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Louisana School kicks out Pregnant Teens
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:17:45 am »
One Louisiana school is dealing with the state’s high rates of teen pregnancy by taking an “out of sight, out of mind” approach. No pregnant students are welcome at Delhi Charter School in Delhi, Louisiana — a policy that the institution enforces by requiring students who are “suspected” of being pregnant to submit to a mandatory pregnancy test.

If students are pregnant, they are no longer allowed to attend classes on the school’s campus and will be forced to either switch to another school or begin a home school program. If a student refuses to take the test, she is “treated as a pregnant student” and also kicked out of Delhi Charter School, according to the student handbook
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/08/07/647221/louisiana-school-forces-students-to-take-pregnancy-tests-kicks-out-girls-who-refuse-or-test-positive/

The ACLU of Louisana, and the ACLU Women's Right Project has sent a letter to the school, asking them to suspend the policy, on grounds that it violates Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Equal Protection Clause of the U.S. Constitution, and the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

I'm willing to bet that 1. Sex Ed is probably nonexistent in the school, and 2. that the school is going to fight tooth and nail over this.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Louisana School kicks out Pregnant Teens
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:25:06 am »
Are charter schools private cause if so then not much you can do :(

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:36:47 am »
No, they are funded by our government.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 12:42:41 am »
No, they are funded by our government.

That has always been my main problem with charters, they are publicly funded for the most part, but are allowed to have their own set of rules, which leads to them to turn down kids with certain problems.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:13:25 am »
So, basically, they're the worst of both worlds?

Whelp, I hope you fuckers enjoyed your money while ya had it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:33:25 am »
What the fuck is my state doing first that dumb textbook thing now this, keep going Louisiana and were gonna be a bigger laughing stalk than fucking Texas my goddess!

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 03:00:33 am »
I'm assuming this is a public school...and if it is, there is no fucking way this is constitutional.

In fact, there is a good chance that this violates both the federal and state constitution, because the Louisiana State Constitution provides for a "Right to Individual Dignity":

§3. Right to Individual Dignity

Section 3. No person shall be denied the equal protection of the laws. No law shall discriminate against a person because of race or religious ideas, beliefs, or affiliations. No law shall arbitrarily, capriciously, or unreasonably discriminate against a person because of birth, age, sex, culture, physical condition, or political ideas or affiliations. Slavery and involuntary servitude are prohibited, except in the latter case as punishment for crime.

I'm not sure what the judicial gloss on this section is, but I can't imagine it being construed in such a manner as to allow...this.

Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 04:36:35 am »
Yeah, but this is Louisiana, and this is the DEEP South.  Unlike the regular South, the Deep South is fucking stupid and frothing-at-the-mouth insane.  Thankfully, our wise Yankee overlords in the SCOTUS should be able to deal with this, should it come to that.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 06:20:32 am »
Yeah, but this is Louisiana, and this is the DEEP South.  Unlike the regular South, the Deep South is fucking stupid and frothing-at-the-mouth insane.  Thankfully, our wise Yankee overlords in the SCOTUS should be able to deal with this, should it come to that.

At least now some people can differentiate smart South, vs. stupid South.  Usually they just lump us all in together.  Kudos, Rav. :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:24:10 am by SpaceProg »

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 01:27:26 pm »
I'm assuming this is a public school...and if it is, there is no fucking way this is constitutional.

In fact, there is a good chance that this violates both the federal and state constitution, because the Louisiana State Constitution provides for a "Right to Individual Dignity":

§3. Right to Individual Dignity

Section 3. No person shall be denied the equal protection of the laws. No law shall discriminate against a person because of race or religious ideas, beliefs, or affiliations. No law shall arbitrarily, capriciously, or unreasonably discriminate against a person because of birth, age, sex, culture, physical condition, or political ideas or affiliations. Slavery and involuntary servitude are prohibited, except in the latter case as punishment for crime.

I'm not sure what the judicial gloss on this section is, but I can't imagine it being construed in such a manner as to allow...this.

Charter schools are publicly funded private schools.  They are an odd class of schooling, referred to as a Magnet school in Chicago.  In some cases, the charter school allows students to attend a superior school (see Whitney Young High in Chicago) than they would normally be able to.  In the vast majority of cases in non-urban areas, though, they are used to exclude people that the school management feels are undesirable (Black, ESL, pregnant, etc).

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 04:16:39 pm »

At least now some people can differentiate smart South, vs. stupid South.  Usually they just lump us all in together.  Kudos, Rav. :)

Haha, ey, I live in Arkansas.  We're...kinda in the middle between sane and insane.  Which, incidentally, is quite maddening.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 08:10:17 pm »

Haha, ey, I live in Arkansas.  We're...kinda in the middle between sane and insane.  Which, incidentally, is quite maddening.

Hey,  My fave racer is from Batesville, Arkansas; and he's anything BUT stupid, that's for sure. :)   There's diamonds in the rough everywhere.  Just gotta look for them.