Author Topic: Arizona invents 'Schrodinger's Womb'  (Read 1779 times)

Offline tempus

• Bishop
Arizona invents 'Schrodinger's Womb'
« on: August 29, 2012, 08:27:03 pm »
Didn't see this in the forums yet, so here it is.  Feel free to merge or delete if it's here somewhere, modmins.

So with that out of the way, Arizona has signed into law a bill that states that a woman is pregnant a full two weeks prior to conception, in order to reduce the amount of time a woman has to seek a legal abortion.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/pregnancy-begins-2-weeks-before-conception-now-the-law-in-arizona/politics/2012/04/13/37993

She said the law defines pregnancy in a way that bans abortion two weeks before the other seven states with similar laws, because it calculates gestational age starting with the first day of the last menstrual period rather than the date of conception.

During the hearings on the bill, doctors said many women don’t discover their fetus has a severe or life-threatening problem until an ultrasound at about the 20th week. The doctors — and several women who had faced this issue — testified that this law would arbitrarily cut off the right for these women to have an abortion.

“My heart goes out to the families that will be impacted,” Steinberg said. “Women are being forced to carry children that they know will end up dying within hours of birth.”

…

The bill signed into law Thursday makes other changes to abortion regulations, including the requirement of an ultrasound 24 hours before the procedure. The law becomes effective 90 days after the Legislature ends its session, which is likely to occur later this month.

Current law allows abortions up until the point of viability, when a fetus could reasonably survive on its own outside the womb. That’s considered by many medical experts and abortion clinics to be from 22 to 24 weeks. Current law also allows abortions beyond that to protect the “life or health of the woman” but doesn’t define health.

The author of the bill is one Kimberly Yee, who recently wrote an op-ed piece calling for welfare recipients to undergo drug testing prior to receiving benefits. 
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Arizona invents 'Schrodinger's Womb'
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:44:01 pm »
Welcome to Arizona: Where EVERY Woman is pregnant, even before you have sex.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 08:45:01 pm »
We had this awhile ago

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:07:22 am »
Wow. Arizona is just the embodiment of class, isn't it?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 11:22:36 am »
Insert "Schrodinger's Pussy" joke here.

Joking aside, though, WTF? Has NOBODY in a red state ever taken basic biology?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 03:45:41 pm »
Insert "Schrodinger's Pussy" joke here.

Joking aside, though, WTF? Has NOBODY in a red state ever taken basic biology?

Sure they have. But the problem is that what is taught as biology is often dictated by young-earth bible thumping politicians and not scientists and teachers.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 06:23:39 pm »
This is old news. That article was written in April.