Author Topic: Law Won't Protect Unmarried Victims in Rape  (Read 7276 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Law Won't Protect Unmarried Victims in Rape
« on: January 04, 2013, 11:54:28 pm »
Because we clearly haven't had enough RAEG lately.

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-law-wont-protect-unmarried-victims-rape-012941200.html
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A California appeals court overturned the rape conviction of a man who authorities say pretended to be a sleeping woman's boyfriend before initiating intercourse, ruling that an arcane law from 1872 doesn't protect unmarried women in such cases.

A panel of judges reversed the trial court's conviction of Julio Morales and remanded it for retrial, in a decision posted Wednesday from the Los Angeles-based court.

Morales had been sentenced to three years in state prison. He was accused of entering a woman's bedroom late one night after her boyfriend had gone home and initiating sexual intercourse while she was asleep, after a night of drinking.

The victim said her boyfriend was in the room when she fell asleep, and they'd decided against having sex that night because he didn't have a condom and he had to be somewhere early the next day.

Morales pretended to be her boyfriend in the darkened room, and it wasn't until a ray of light from outside the room flashed across his face that she realized he wasn't her boyfriend, according to prosecutors.

"Has the man committed rape? Because of historical anomalies in the law and the statutory definition of rape, the answer is no, even though, if the woman had been married and the man had impersonated her husband, the answer would be yes," Judge Thomas L. Willhite Jr. wrote in the court's decision.

---

The decision also urges the Legislature to examine the law, which was first written in response to cases in England that concluded fraudulent impersonation to have sex wasn't rape because the victim would consent, even if they were being tricked into thinking the perpetrator was their husband.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Law Won't Protect Unmarried Victims in Rape
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 12:57:06 am »
Wow...just....wow.

Ironbite-and this is why laws need an expiration date.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:03:10 am »

Offline Shano

• Bishop
  • Trust me, I am a doctor.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 01:05:12 am »
Wow...just....wow.

Ironbite-and this is why laws need an expiration date.
Um the law actually protects the married women. Why would you want the law to expire??
The unbreakable wall

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 01:14:42 am »
Read the story.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 01:28:56 am »
Sigh.  So if this is federal and martial rape is harder to prosecute.....does this mean all rapists are free #Invalid YouTube Link#

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 03:39:20 am »
Does her marital status also prevent hhim from being charged with Breaking and Entering as well?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Shano

• Bishop
  • Trust me, I am a doctor.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 06:09:50 am »
Read the story.
I did. My question still stands. Why would you have the law expire? Why would you not what Idaho did and amend the law to protect all women as opposed to only married women?
The unbreakable wall

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 08:04:46 am »
...okay, so that antiquated law doesn't protect her as written.

I'm pretty sure there are others laws on the books that say entering another person's house and having sex with them while they're asleep is STILL fucking rape. Since, you know, it is. You can't consent while you're unconscious.

This is about as clear-cut as it gets. I can't figure out why this is even a thing.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 08:21:33 am »
If anyone blames the judges I will scream
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 11:53:10 am »
When this story came across my RSS ticker yesterday from France 24 (IIRC), I assumed they were talking about the law in Saudi Arabia. Maybe by now I should know better.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:55:12 pm »
It seems like it wouldn't be a stretch to extend the law, honestly, in this kind of case. Doesn't really make sense to me to keep it so strongly defined by the woman's husband or anything. Should be that impersonation to acquire consent is counted as rape. Homosexual or heterosexual.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 07:23:40 pm »
Unfortunately, it's hard to get mad at anyone but the rapist in this situation.  The judges have to enforce the laws as they are.  And this sort of thing (pretending to be someone's boyfriend/husband) isn't the sort of thing that comes up often, so legislators are unlikely to even know about the law until this case came up.  When it happened in Idaho, the law was amended to prevent this sort of thing.  One hopes that it happens in California as well.  And that people bring it to the attention of other states, so that any similar laws can be amended before they become a problem.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 08:43:49 pm »
I've heard of women charging their boyfriends for rape because they had sex while the woman was drunk before... how can they say it's not rape when the man broke into the woman's home, and took advantage of her while she was pretty much unconscious??

If it was me that it happened to, I'll tell you that he'd be safer behind bars, considering I'm the youngest of nine kids and most of them are boys...

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 09:23:43 pm »
...okay, so that antiquated law doesn't protect her as written.

I'm pretty sure there are others laws on the books that say entering another person's house and having sex with them while they're asleep is STILL fucking rape. Since, you know, it is. You can't consent while you're unconscious.

This is about as clear-cut as it gets. I can't figure out why this is even a thing.

That was pretty much my reaction.  They know her broke into her house and raped her while she was sleeping.  Whether or not the law in question works or not, I highly doubt that other current laws wouldn't/shouldn't keep him in jail.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter