Author Topic: Man arrested for wanting to be with his hospitalized partner.  (Read 8919 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/missouri-man-arrested-hospital-refusing-leav
http://fox4kc.com/2013/04/10/man-no-longer-allowed-to-visit-husband-at-kc-area-hospital/

He had the power of attourney over his partner and according to the law he had the right to be there. Unfortunately the hospital did not care and instead the security had him handcuffed and now he has a restraining order to deny him the chance to see his critically sick husband. The hospital believes this is not discrimination in any way...

Update:
http://fox4kc.com/2013/04/11/hospital-bad-behavior-sole-reason-man-had-to-leave/

They claim that the guy was "behaving badly" and that was the only reason to have him removed... Or the bad PR made them realise how badly they fucked up and are now doing damage control.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Man arrested for wanting to be with his hospitalized partner.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:45:41 am »
Well....#Invalid YouTube Link#

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:04:04 am »
Call me crazy, but I'll wait until the hospital's story is either confirmed or denied before I pass judgement.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:31:47 am »
Call me crazy, but I'll wait until the hospital's story is either confirmed or denied before I pass judgement.

I would indeed like more information before flying into a rage as many are inclined to do. There's so little confirmed information right now that we CAN'T react already. For all we know, there was a simple mistake made by unaware staff and the guy flew into a rage until he had to be handcuffed. At the same time, it could have been a legitimate case of discrimination and refusal to recognize the rights of a gay man.

But please, don't freak out and start ranting until we get more information in.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 11:00:48 am »
I found this just before I left to take the bus to work so I posted it in a hurry while I was still angry.

Now that I think about it and read it more carefully it is possible that the hospital had a justifiable reason to have him removed. On the other hand if the argument really did get started when the brother tried to drive him away from the hospital room I will totally understand that he got a bit too angry about it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 12:09:24 pm »
http://americablog.com/2013/04/interview-daughter-gay-man-handcuffed-husbands-hospital-bed.html

Just found this. Haven't read it yet, but is supposed to be the arrested man's daughter's eye witness account of what happened in the hospital room, etc., plus some family history background about on-going problems and drama started by the patient's brother.

Edited after reading the linked article.

I would put most of the blame squarely on the nurse, who knew better, yet used her "word" as an attending nurse to cause and continue a bunch of bigoted bullshit. The security guards and cops mostly acted stupidly and like thugs (<snark GASP!>), but they were at least somewhat misled by assumptions based on the nurse's demand for security/police to take over....That was a total bullshit, cunt move, and I hope she has her nursing license suspended, at least.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:27:45 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 02:54:58 pm »
Update on the case.

HCA said Thursday it does not have a restraining order against Gorley and that he is welcome back at anytime. However, a police report shows he has been cited for trespassing and disorderly conduct.

It also says there was a nasty fight between the guy, and his partner's brother. So one has to wonder what that was about.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 04:34:11 pm »
Update on the case.

HCA said Thursday it does not have a restraining order against Gorley and that he is welcome back at anytime. However, a police report shows he has been cited for trespassing and disorderly conduct.

It also says there was a nasty fight between the guy, and his partner's brother. So one has to wonder what that was about.

According to the articles and comments, the brother told the husband to "back off" when he arrived at the hospital, and possibly made other derogatory statements in regard to him being gay.  The comments also say that after the husband was forced to leave, it took half an hour for the brother to leave after multiple requests from the patient that he leave.  Also, while the husband was charged, the brother was not (some comments claimed that the brother also happens to be a cop).  Apparently, security footage shows that both parties acted belligerently, but it's argued that the brother should've been made to leave first, given that the husband had power of attorney over the patient.

That's what I got from the articles and comments.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 07:34:09 pm »
So two guys got into a pissing match at the hospital while visiting the same person and got kicked out for it?

That's not news, really. That's pretty standard. The only difference is that one of them happened to be gay, so everyone immediately flipped out before getting the full story.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 07:51:57 pm »
No we get to flip our shit over this because it happens all the damn time.  In fact....

Here's what the daughter said what happened

"Allen made sure over the past 20 years to not involve his family in his medical care," wrote Brown. "None of them are on his HIPAA nor are any of them supposed to have any say over what happens to him medically. [Mansell and Gorley] have each been granted power of attorney over each other for medical decisions. This information is not only on file with Research Medical Center, they are well-known at the hospital and throughout the city as a proud gay couple. No one has ever had a problem until Tuesday 4/9/2013." (Emphases are Brown's.)

Brown alleges that Mansell's brother and sister arrived unexpectedly at Mansell's home on Tuesday, with paramedics in tow, and took Mansell to Research Medical Center against his will. Brown further notes that while Mansell had previously visited Research Medical Center for electroshock therapy treatments to combat his debilitating depression, the Kansas City hospital was not Mansell's regular medical provider.

When Gorley arrived at Research Medical Center, Brown says her father immediately raced to his husband's side, holding his hand and offering him reassurance. Brown says Mansell's brother offered similar assurances, but added that he would not allow Gorley to make medical decisions for his husband.

"That ignited the fire in my father that had been swelling up inside of him," writes Brown. "He said, 'No you won’t! This is my husband. I know what he wants and needs. You are never around. You need to leave.'"

That's when the nurse on staff asked Gorley to leave the room, says Brown. Indeed, a spokesperson for the hospital's parent company, Hospital Corporation of America, acknowledged that the nurse asked both men to leave.

"When the nurse went in to ask them to please quiet down and please stop this and they continued, and every time they stepped out it would get escalated, so she stepped back in and asked them to remove themselves for the sake of the patient at the moment," Rob Dyer of HCA told Fox 4 News Thursday. Dyer also told Fox 4 that Gorley did not present a copy of his power of attorney agreement during Tuesday's particular visit.

When Gorley refused to leave his husband's side, hospital staff called security, who eventually contacted Kansas City Police. When police ordered Gorley to leave the room, Gorley refused, and that's when police exerted excessive force to physically remove Gorley, who was clinging to the sidebar of his husband's gurney, says his daughter.

"The office[r] began karate chopping his wrist to get him to release the gurney," writes Brown. "Then they wrestled him to the ground forcefully enough to knock his glasses off of his face, his hearing aids out of his ears, and nearly break his wrist while they took him down. To handcuff him they pushed a knee into his back and wrenched his wrists around."

Yes we do get to flip our shit because this kind of stuff happens way to often in this god damn country and I'm sick of it.

Ironbite-this family sickens me with how they treated this man and should be sued into Oblivion where they have to serve Shiggy for all eternity.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 08:20:20 pm »
So two guys got into a pissing match at the hospital while visiting the same person and got kicked out for it?

That's not news, really. That's pretty standard. The only difference is that one of them happened to be gay, so everyone immediately flipped out before getting the full story.

No, people flipped out because only the gay man was kicked out and arrested. The gay man who had his partner's power of attorney, while the patient wanted his husband to stay and his brother to leave. Instead, the husband was arrested, and the brother stayed, against the wishes of the patient.

There's also kind of the fact that the only reason the man was in the hospital to begin was because his brother lied to authorities and insisted his brother was suicidal, and the authorities completely ignored the man, his husband, and their daughter's insistence that he was doing fine and had him packed off to the hospital.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 08:28:15 pm »
To the wrong hospital, no less.  He was sent where he got his electro shock therapy, not his usual hospital.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 08:55:43 pm »
No we get to flip our shit over this because it happens all the damn time.  In fact....

Here's what the daughter said what happened

"Allen made sure over the past 20 years to not involve his family in his medical care," wrote Brown. "None of them are on his HIPAA nor are any of them supposed to have any say over what happens to him medically. [Mansell and Gorley] have each been granted power of attorney over each other for medical decisions. This information is not only on file with Research Medical Center, they are well-known at the hospital and throughout the city as a proud gay couple. No one has ever had a problem until Tuesday 4/9/2013." (Emphases are Brown's.)

Brown alleges that Mansell's brother and sister arrived unexpectedly at Mansell's home on Tuesday, with paramedics in tow, and took Mansell to Research Medical Center against his will. Brown further notes that while Mansell had previously visited Research Medical Center for electroshock therapy treatments to combat his debilitating depression, the Kansas City hospital was not Mansell's regular medical provider.

When Gorley arrived at Research Medical Center, Brown says her father immediately raced to his husband's side, holding his hand and offering him reassurance. Brown says Mansell's brother offered similar assurances, but added that he would not allow Gorley to make medical decisions for his husband.

"That ignited the fire in my father that had been swelling up inside of him," writes Brown. "He said, 'No you won’t! This is my husband. I know what he wants and needs. You are never around. You need to leave.'"

That's when the nurse on staff asked Gorley to leave the room, says Brown. Indeed, a spokesperson for the hospital's parent company, Hospital Corporation of America, acknowledged that the nurse asked both men to leave.

"When the nurse went in to ask them to please quiet down and please stop this and they continued, and every time they stepped out it would get escalated, so she stepped back in and asked them to remove themselves for the sake of the patient at the moment," Rob Dyer of HCA told Fox 4 News Thursday. Dyer also told Fox 4 that Gorley did not present a copy of his power of attorney agreement during Tuesday's particular visit.

When Gorley refused to leave his husband's side, hospital staff called security, who eventually contacted Kansas City Police. When police ordered Gorley to leave the room, Gorley refused, and that's when police exerted excessive force to physically remove Gorley, who was clinging to the sidebar of his husband's gurney, says his daughter.

"The office[r] began karate chopping his wrist to get him to release the gurney," writes Brown. "Then they wrestled him to the ground forcefully enough to knock his glasses off of his face, his hearing aids out of his ears, and nearly break his wrist while they took him down. To handcuff him they pushed a knee into his back and wrenched his wrists around."

Yes we do get to flip our shit because this kind of stuff happens way to often in this god damn country and I'm sick of it.

Ironbite-this family sickens me with how they treated this man and should be sued into Oblivion where they have to serve Shiggy for all eternity.

Okay seriously?  They do nothing to the brother even though both were asked to leave and basically kick the partner's ass?  *facepalm*  What the hell?
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 09:08:58 am »
Like I said, LAWSUIT!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 07:08:44 pm »

No, people flipped out because only the gay man was kicked out and arrested. The gay man who had his partner's power of attorney, while the patient wanted his husband to stay and his brother to leave. Instead, the husband was arrested, and the brother stayed, against the wishes of the patient.

There's also kind of the fact that the only reason the man was in the hospital to begin was because his brother lied to authorities and insisted his brother was suicidal, and the authorities completely ignored the man, his husband, and their daughter's insistence that he was doing fine and had him packed off to the hospital.

The problem is that there's no evidence yet of bigotry being the cause. Again, it COULD be a homophobic ruling by the staff. Or it COULD be a normal mixup involving who was doing what due to lack of communication in a tense situation.

I just ask that more information appear before we treat this as something special purely due to a gay man apparently getting it worse than the others. If it was a straight couple with the husband being given more flak, nobody would even have it on their radar. And you can bet that's happened quite a lot in hospital arguments like this. But sometimes I fear that people are so concerned with looking for bigotry to shout at that they don't let the full story get out, and they let their emotions color the facts.