Author Topic: TV Shows  (Read 139651 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Re: TV Shows
« Reply #615 on: August 14, 2017, 11:15:03 pm »
Regarding the female Doctor backlash, there's a study suggesting that the media cherry-picked the worst tweets, blowing the whole thing out of proportion. And Moffat wants the media to stop making mountains of molehills.

Quote from: Steven Moffat
There has been so many press articles about a backlash among the Doctor Who fandom about casting a female Doctor. There has been no backlash at all. The story of the moment is that the notionally conservative Doctor Who fandom has utterly embraced that change completely. Eighty percent approval on social media, not that I check these things obsessively. So many people wanting to pretend there is a problem. There isn't. It's been incredibly progressive and enlightened and that's what really happened. I wish every other journalist who is writing the alternative would shut the hell up.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #616 on: August 15, 2017, 12:05:45 am »
Just the fact these neckbeards crawled out of the woods and vomited that all out about such a thing is indicting enough about the kind of culture festering in nerd culture.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

pyro

« Reply #617 on: August 15, 2017, 01:06:27 pm »
Lana Reverse isn't wrong here. Once you have more than 10,000 fans, even 1% of your fandom is still 100 people, and that's enough people to form a mob and make the news.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:08:01 pm by pyro »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #618 on: August 15, 2017, 11:47:07 pm »
Warning, Game o' Thrones spoilers...

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #619 on: August 15, 2017, 11:59:03 pm »
In case nobody read that...Jon Snow knows nothing.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #620 on: August 16, 2017, 01:10:04 am »
That's his Stark blood acting up. Dangerous mistakes are kind of their thing.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #621 on: August 16, 2017, 09:59:14 am »
That's... startlingly true.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #622 on: August 16, 2017, 12:26:31 pm »
That's... startlingly true.

You mean STARKINGLY true, don't you?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #623 on: August 16, 2017, 09:54:35 pm »
Warning, Game o' Thrones spoilers...

(click to show/hide)

Wights are not zombies, though? like canonically wights are caused by the white walkers, not by other wights. There's no indication someone killed by a wight when there aren't white walkers around becomes a wight

Then again if D&D want a zombie apocalypse they're not gonna let a silly thing like canon get in their way, so.
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #624 on: August 16, 2017, 10:33:08 pm »
I forgot about that bit...hm.  Maybe not as stupid as I'd thought, but still damned stupid.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #625 on: August 20, 2017, 07:46:16 pm »
(click to show/hide)

He'll just use the same teleporter he used to visit Dragonstone and that pretty much every character is using nowadays when they need to be somewhere. Why would time suddenly have a meaning when traveling in Westeros?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #626 on: August 20, 2017, 07:47:23 pm »
Sansa mentioned him being gone for weeks.  Just because people don't sit down when you're there doesn't mean they don't when you're not looking.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #627 on: August 20, 2017, 11:56:20 pm »
Does a zombie have to follow all the movie-zombie cliches to be a zombie? Because voodoo-zombies don't turn the people they kill into zombies either so they'd be disqualified as well.

I mean if the only way to make more undead is by having a necromancer/voodoo-priest/mage-type-thingy raise the dead, but otherwise the undead (or some of them at least) act like zombies, is that really so different from what people consider to be zombies?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #628 on: August 21, 2017, 03:48:46 am »
Sansa mentioned him being gone for weeks.  Just because people don't sit down when you're there doesn't mean they don't when you're not looking.
It was not the most egregious example but the show plays loose with either time or geography all the time. The new episode is an excellent example of how people/dragons/ravens travel huge distances between scenes that are just a couple of days apart at most.

Edit: I don't really expect the writers to calculate how much time it would take for people to travel, being vague with time is a totally acceptable way to spread a little smokescreen to keep the suspension of disbelief up. Unfortunately, it can get distracting when it gets too obvious or when the constantly speeding up narrative makes the transportation seem even more like teleportation.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:06:26 am by SCarpelan »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #629 on: August 21, 2017, 09:03:24 am »
Actually, the whole dragon being able to cover vast distances isn't as inaccurate as one might think.  Assuming Westeros is comparable in size to Britain, then it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the distance between Dragonstone and wherever Jon's coterie was happened to be about 1500km.  Assuming Dany covered that distance in one full day's flight (24 hrs), then she'd have been cruising at a comfortable 62.5km/h (38.84mph).  Absolutely blistering by Westerosi standards, but by ours, that's a slow stroll to the grocery store.