Author Topic: The world in a week of groceries  (Read 4444 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
The world in a week of groceries
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:59:39 am »
http://www.nutritionnews.com/food/diet-food/what-a-week-of-groceries-looks-like-around-the-world/

There's basically no text in the article. It's a series of images showing what a week's worth of groceries is in various countries. It's pretty interesting to see how things differ from place to place.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: The world in a week of groceries
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:12:35 pm »
It's nifty to see what a range there is between the US and African nations, or pretty much the US and everywhere else, really. I could be wrong, but it looks like fast food is only shown for the US, and I would think it'd be in a few other places as well, like Canada and Australia. Maybe I'm overlooking it.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:18:40 pm »
It's nifty to see what a range there is between the US and African nations, or pretty much the US and everywhere else, really. I could be wrong, but it looks like fast food is only shown for the US, and I would think it'd be in a few other places as well, like Canada and Australia. Maybe I'm overlooking it.
I saw quite a lot of KFC in the Chinese picture.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 01:12:13 pm »
Ah, sure enough. Now this'll become a game of I Spy.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:57:50 pm »
While you see a difference I also see a lot of similarities between almost all but the African pictures. 

The most amusing thing is what appears to be some bottles of beer in the German picture.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 02:00:31 pm »
I saw quite a lot of KFC in the Chinese picture.

It probably just depends on if they ate fast food on the day they took the pictures.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 05:53:55 pm »
I'm also interested in exactly which families they chose. Considering that almost every country has bountiful amounts of food (some of which barely fit in the shot) and then Chad suddenly has almost nothing but a few sacks, the economic disparity might be larger than they're letting on. I'm not sure that all of them are from the same relative economic standing.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 06:21:59 pm »
Apparently Mexico really likes Coca Cola.

Also, the fuckton of Kraft Dinner, cheese slices and yogurt in the Canadian pic looks about right.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 06:27:01 pm »

For some reason, all the Coca Cola that my dad buys is Mexican.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 06:29:11 pm »
Turkey is yummiest over all, but I've always adored that cuisine. Guatemala, hands down the most beautiful and bountiful produce. Chad....they are in a refugee camp.... :'(
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 06:33:51 pm »

Mexican cola is made with cane sugar, whereas American cola uses high-fructose corn syrup, so a lot of people prefer the former.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 06:46:14 pm »
Turkey is yummiest over all, but I've always adored that cuisine. Guatemala, hands down the most beautiful and bountiful produce. Chad....they are in a refugee camp.... :'(

That's kinda what I was getting at with this. A real, good comparison of the relative weekly groceries would have shown people with the same relative wealth across their country. So they show lots of families with (at a minimum) decent-sized homes filled with quality furnishings and enough food to fill the bed of a pickup.....then Africa gets refugees and people living in small huts in the desert. I'm not entirely confident that an upper-middle-class French family is in the same relative position in their country as some poor villagers in Mali.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 06:54:42 pm »
They could be based on where the majority of families lie in terms of quality of life and standard of living, rather than what you'd expect to see from the middle class (which varies in size depending on the nation; in an impoverished, undeveloped nation, the middle class might be virtually non-existent).

That said, I'm not seeing anything on the page to suggest which metric, if any, was used when selecting families.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 07:12:04 pm »

Mexican cola is made with cane sugar, whereas American cola uses high-fructose corn syrup, so a lot of people prefer the former.

I honestly can't tell the difference.  I just like drinking from glass, occasionally, lol.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 08:19:47 pm »

The American Coke is a conspiracy!
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov