Author Topic: Hebrew speakers attacked for speaking spanish  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Hebrew speakers attacked for speaking spanish
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:47:00 am »
Well not if you can understand one of them or are at least familiar with them. If you can't speak it then all foreign langueages sound like greek to you.

I'm guessing he heard something that didn't sound like english and assumed that it must therefore be spanish. He could have had the same reaction to someone speaking urdu, swedish or afrikaans for that matter.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 11:31:52 am »
I'm guessing this guy isn't exactly the brightest.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 12:44:40 pm »
Spanish is at least Indo-European and English has many Latin words. Spanish would sound a lot closer to English than Hebrew does. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if some bigot hit a Jewish person for "appearing" Arabic.

As a side note, why'd the use stock photos of Hassidic Jews?
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 01:05:09 pm »
Spanish is at least Indo-European and English has many Latin words. Spanish would sound a lot closer to English than Hebrew does. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if some bigot hit a Jewish person for "appearing" Arabic.

This basically Mandarin and Japanese might blend together but Hebrew is so different I could say nope not european

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 03:22:17 pm »
Murrica....Freedom of Speech, but only in English.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 04:06:35 pm »

This basically Mandarin and Japanese might blend together but Hebrew is so different I could say nope not european
Mandarin and Japanese sound completely different to me. Even more so than Spanish and Hebrew, which I can't immagine anyone with even the slightest familiarity with world languages mixing up.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 04:22:09 pm »

Mandarin and Japanese sound completely different to me. Even more so than Spanish and Hebrew, which I can't immagine anyone with even the slightest familiarity with world languages mixing up.
Well maybe that person WASN'T familiar with world languages.

IN 'MURRICA WE SPEAK 'MURRICAN!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 04:48:02 pm »
Exactly. Just shows how ignorant many Americans are about the world beyond our back yard.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 05:06:58 pm »
Could just be because I live in New Mexico, but I've never seen blatant anti-Spanish discrimination coming from state politicians, and I've never seen people beaten up for "not speaking English". All of our state laws are written in English and Spanish.

I understand that the rest of the U.S. is a lot whiter, but you'd think they would pull their heads out of their asses and stop irrationally defending a language that was imposed on us by British rule.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 06:52:40 pm »
How the ass does someone confuse Spanish and Hebrew?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 07:06:29 pm »
Well not if you can understand one of them or are at least familiar with them. If you can't speak it then all foreign langueages sound like greek to you.

And if you're Greek back in the golden days of Greece, all other languages sound like barbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbar....

Anyways, I'm ashamed but unsurprised that this happened in my state.  Fuck this place, and fuck our Governor.

...No, it's not his fault this happened, but fuck him anyways, he's an asshat.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 08:59:58 pm »
At least you guys still have hate crimes laws.  Question in these oops mistook you for someone else type of hate crimes how to charge like is this religious against Jews or against latinos.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 11:52:09 pm »
It did happen after bar closing time. After two A.M. So yeah, a sleep deprived drunk redneck and/or Teahadi type perpetrator. But even in the deepest, coldest Northern Midwest, there are tons of Hispanic American citizens and immigrants. He could not live there and not know what Spanish sounds like. You just cannot confuse Spanish with Hebrew, unless you are drunk as hell, like black-out level drunk.  It's the Midwest. There is work there, there are jobs there, so duh, there are Latinos there. Don't bother arguing cultural work ethic intensity of the Latino community Versus the Anglo community with these assholes, because they unconsciously know they pale by comparison to Latinos on actual freaking work tolerance and ambition, so HATRED...(impotent jealousy).

This dude was just a potential murderer-ish personage looking for victims while drunk, most likely. No matter his idiocy in miss-identifying the ethnicity of the victims and the language spoken, it was a hate crime of the purest form. Hatred of not-just-like-me. Beat/injure/kill the not-like-me's. Cave man level stupidity. Too bad this fuckwit has probably already reproduced.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.