Author Topic: College student arrested for daring to buy expensive things while Black  (Read 3718 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
http://nypost.com/2013/10/22/barneys-busted-student-for-being-black-suit/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow

A college student from Queens got more than he bargained for when he splurged on a $350 designer belt at Barneys — when a clerk had him cuffed apparently thinking the black teen couldn’t afford the pricey purchase, even though he had paid for it, a new lawsuit alleges.
“His only crime was being a young black man,” his attorney, Michael Palillo, told The Post.
Modal Trigger
Trayon Christian, 19, a NYC College of Technology freshman from Corona, went to the Madison Avenue fashion mecca in April to buy the Salvatore Ferragamo belt after saving up his paychecks from a part-time job at the college.
Modal Trigger
But as soon as he exited the luxury department store, undercover officers grabbed Christian and asked “how a young black man such as himself could afford to purchase such an expensive belt,” according to the suit, filed Tuesday in Manhattan Supreme Court.

It turns out he not only could afford, all his credentials were in place. And people still think he stole it.

And before you say it, I think splurging 350 on a belt is stupid too. There are so much better things to do with that money. But that's not the point. The point is while a white person could have wasted 350 on belt he probably wouldn't have been assumed to have fraud the store.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: College student arrested for daring to buy expensive things while Black
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 02:28:35 am »
I assumed that this farce would have ended when they brought him back to the shop and learned that he had in fact bought the belt. But it turned out it was the clerk who called the cops since a black teen must be a criminal if he has money.

Then comes this at the police station:

There, Christian produced his identification, his debit card from Chase and the receipt with his name on it, the suit states.

“In spite of producing such documentation, Christian was told that his identification was false and that he could not afford to make such an expensive purchase.”
Modal Trigger

A belt similar to this one was purchased by Trayon Christian at Barneys.

Cops eventually called Chase, which verified that the card belonged to Christian, and they let him go

I'm no cop (or a clerk) but if you doubt that person X owns the credit/debit card he is using shouldn't you check first before cuffing him. I mean that's what's happened to me on occasion. Maybe that's just because I'm in fact white.

In fact, why didn't the cops check his card immediately? Shouldn't that be pretty high on their list while investagating something like this? "Nah, he looked black so it could only be a stolen card." Is what I assume they would say.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 08:59:14 am »
Irony being that Trayon Christian has a seriously excellent sense of up-to-the-minute style and very good taste in casual wear. He would make a good fashion model for the designers whose stuff he likes to wear. That belt is just way cool looking, too.  Pics of him in that linked article show that he has a knack for detail and minimalism that highlights the more expensive items and accessories he wears. He's gonna win this suit, and I bet he's gonna get some serious modeling job offers out of it, too. Either way, he can relax about those student loans now.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 12:48:16 pm »
Well its not just him a woman also alleges a similar thing.  I guess the only way a black person can have money is if they are drug dealing or scamming

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 01:08:02 pm »
I'm not surprised it's around Queens.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 05:20:34 pm »
How is the belt worth $350? Is it fucking handmade with genuine sasquatch leather? Looking at the pictures, it's a nice belt, but it doesn't look $350 nice. And would it kill him to use the belt to, you know, hold up his pants? He dresses nice and all, but I've never liked the sagging pants look.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 05:54:39 pm »
How is the belt worth $350? Is it fucking handmade with genuine sasquatch leather? Looking at the pictures, it's a nice belt, but it doesn't look $350 nice. And would it kill him to use the belt to, you know, hold up his pants? He dresses nice and all, but I've never liked the sagging pants look.

It's gotta be the time investment and a good deal of hand-crafting to qualify for $350...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 09:38:57 pm »
Sagging pants are just in style  8)

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:42:44 pm »

It's gotta be the time investment and a good deal of hand-crafting to qualify for $350...

Also it's NYC. Everything is overpriced. Everything.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 10:14:52 pm »

Also it's NYC. Everything is overpriced. Everything.

Also true.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Indikins

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 10:50:37 pm »
Guy called Trayvon Martin gets shot for being black. Guy called Trayon Christian gets arrested for being black. Am I sensing a pattern here?

Conspirisu!
I once had a nightmare about chickens pecking me to death on my driveway. I told my sister to save herself.

This is the #1 nightmare.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 03:03:15 am »
Yes you are.  Blacks in America are subject to all kids of racism.

Ironbite-because we as a society haven't gotten out of the 1950s mentality yet.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 03:18:15 am »
“how a young black man such as himself could afford to purchase such an expensive belt,”

They might have well told him he was being arrested for being a black man in public.

What fucked up world do we live in where a man is arrested not for stealing something, but for buying something? And with his own money?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 07:01:03 am »
A post-rascism world that's what.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 07:42:29 am »
The fact that they considered it suspicious of him to have that much money may be profiling, it does seem like it but if they can prove that they are equally suspicious over any young person paying that much could be possible. (Though I doubt it.) The fact that they didn't bother to check the facts and relied on suspicion is just plain wrong and racist. They could have checked his ID, his criminal record, called his bank, anything. They just locked him up because they were so certain that their prejudices were right that they didn't even consider for a moment that the kid might be innocent.

And that certainly is proof of profiling and racism.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!