Author Topic: I am confused by something.  (Read 13327 times)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
I am confused by something.
« on: January 29, 2012, 04:51:17 pm »
So, there's a game I want.  I have no room in my home for a desktop computer at all; my only computer is an HP Pavilion g7 laptop.  If my laptop can't run it, and it isn't on the Wii, I'm not playing it, essentially.

So I'm on Steam, looking at a game.  Under minimum requirements, it says this:

Memory: 2GB RAM (XP)/3GB RAM (Windows 7 / Vista)

Why does the exact same game require more or less memory just because I have a different version of the OS?  Is this a 32-bit vs. 64-bit issue?  Is it really that necessary that I find some way to install another GB of RAM just because I happened to get a machine that runs Windows 7?
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Kradorex Xeron

• Technical Consultant
  • Administrator
  • Bishop
  • Digitally Original
    • Personal Site
Re: I am confused by something.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 05:17:39 pm »
As said on IRC (For the record):

Basically, the amount of memory quoted isn't what the game takes up between OSes, but rather what the computer requires total.

Vista and 7 both won't run comfortably on anything less than 1 GByte RAM, so it's safe to for this arguements sake to assume Vista/7 take up ~1-1.5 GByte RAM, while XP can run on as little as 256-512 MBytes. As such, the game likely itself requires 1.25-1.75 GBytes minimum on top of the operating system
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:23:27 pm by Kradorex "Digital" Xeron »
~Krad Xeron

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:46:57 am »
Besides, installing an extra GB or two of RAM isn't hard, even on laptops. The only questions you need to know are how much RAM can your motherboard carry and what configuration is your current RAM (one 2GB stick or two 1GB sticks).
Who needs a signature?

Napoleon the Clown

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 03:24:15 am »
Because Vista and 7 both eat up more resources than XP.

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:33:36 am »
Besides, installing an extra GB or two of RAM isn't hard, even on laptops. The only questions you need to know are how much RAM can your motherboard carry and what configuration is your current RAM (one 2GB stick or two 1GB sticks).

I actually tried this once years ago, attempting to add an additional 256 MB to the laptop I had at the time.  Unfortunately, the little notch in it was about 1-2 mm too far to one side, and it wouldn't fit.

So I'm somewhat hesitant to try it again, even though I know Beast Buy will give me my money back if it doesn't fit right.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 01:19:15 pm »

I actually tried this once years ago, attempting to add an additional 256 MB to the laptop I had at the time.  Unfortunately, the little notch in it was about 1-2 mm too far to one side, and it wouldn't fit.

So I'm somewhat hesitant to try it again, even though I know Beast Buy will give me my money back if it doesn't fit right.

You have to get the right kind.  I think laptops generally take SO-DIMM.  Do you know if it's like, DDR3 or whatever?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 02:34:13 pm »

There have been several times in my life when I could have used a guarantee like that.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:43:39 pm »
Holy smokes! Krad, you made it! Dude, welcome! *waves and is a Siraj*
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 02:02:49 pm »

You have to get the right kind.  I think laptops generally take SO-DIMM.  Do you know if it's like, DDR3 or whatever?

I have no idea what those letters mean.

He's been on our IRC for ages.  Considering that there is a dearth of drama there lately, I don't know why you haven't come back.
--Sanda

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 02:50:22 pm »

He's been on our IRC for ages.  Considering that there is a dearth of drama there lately, I don't know why you haven't come back.

Oh.  Well, knowing what KIND of memory your computer uses is pretty important, so could you check and get back to us?  If you need help, find someone who DOES know.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 03:36:11 pm »

Oh.  Well, knowing what KIND of memory your computer uses is pretty important, so could you check and get back to us?  If you need help, find someone who DOES know.

I looked up the exact kind for the Toshiba system I had last time around, and it still didn't fit.  I used the exact brand name and model Toshiba recommended.   Forgive me if I'm less than eager to go through the process again.
--Sanda

Offline Mantorok

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 08:35:52 pm »
Post the exact model number of your laptop here and people can advise you on what RAM to buy.

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 08:21:58 am »
HP Pavilion g7.  Windows 7, 2 GB RAM.  451 GB HDD capacity.  I can't remember how to view the rest.  I thought it was My Computer --> right-click on C:\ --> Properties, but apparently that's not it.

Since I'm not sure if they've used that model number in other years, I'll also point out that this one was purchased in May 2011.
--Sanda

Offline Mantorok

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 08:46:46 am »
HP Pavilion g7.
That's just the series. To find the model number, follow these instructions.

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 11:22:04 am »
OK, none of this says "Model Number" so I'm going to post what seems relevant.

Product number LF181UA#ABA
BIOS  F.33 - 08/18/2011 (0594100000204610000620100)
Total memory 4.00 GB
AMD Athlon IIP360 Dual-Core Processor

Wait, if I have 4 GB of memory, then why won't the game's free demo run?  Is it something weird to do with dual-core processors or something?
--Sanda