Author Topic: Accused of whitewashing? Yellow Face is the obvious solution!  (Read 8547 times)

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
Re: Accused of whitewashing? Yellow Face is the obvious solution!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 12:28:36 pm »
What, movies made in a country with about 1% of the population being white people star mostly Japanese people? I'm shocked.

And 92% of the UK population is white.  Therefore by your logic it's perfectly acceptable to exclude ethnic minority britons based on this fact alone.  Nice.

You cite Idris Elba possibly playing James Bond. Why not? The man is actually English, unlike most of the actors that have played him.

What's nationality got to do with it?  The buzzword being thrown about in the OP isn't "americanwashing" after all.  People are objecting to a casting decision purely because of the race of the actor.  That's where the parallel to Elba potentially being the next James Bond came from.  It's exactly the same racist bilge that was thrown around when that idea was mooted.

I think he'd be great, personally.

There's no reason not to. Generally I support colorblind casting, especially when it's for a work that there's really no reason for a specific ethnicity to be considered.

Quite.  But I wouldn't say there's ever a case for considering ethnicity in casting decisions.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 02:20:32 pm »
I wouldn't particularly mind a black actor being cast as James Bond, but I think it would be better to have an original IP.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 07:54:43 pm »
And 92% of the UK population is white.  Therefore by your logic it's perfectly acceptable to exclude ethnic minority britons based on this fact alone.  Nice.

Not really. For one, you're wrong. According to the 2011 census, the number is actually only 87.1%. For two, I was wrong. The population of Japan is 98.5% Japanese. White people are so scarce in Japan, we don't even register in their 0.1% "other" category. And yet, I've still seen white people cast in (Japanese voiced/acted) anime and movies when appropriate. The Death Note movie, for example, cast a white actor to play the fake L that appeared on TV to announce the Interpol investigation of Kira. Beck (the anime, not the singer) cast a large number of white and black voice actors, all ex-pats, to voice white and black characters. Hell, there was a monster of the week in Kamen Rider OOO that was played in human form and voiced by a black actor.

The Japanese population is less than a tenth of a percent white, but yet they're better at casting white actors in appropriate roles than Hollywood is at casting Asian actors in appropriate roles.

What's nationality got to do with it?  The buzzword being thrown about in the OP isn't "americanwashing" after all.  People are objecting to a casting decision purely because of the race of the actor.  That's where the parallel to Elba potentially being the next James Bond came from.  It's exactly the same racist bilge that was thrown around when that idea was mooted.

My point.

Your head. Probably intentionally on your part, no less.

James Bond is not a role where his race matters. Any ethnicity could play James Bond. I pointed out that Idris Elba was actually British because it shows that he's more accurate to the books than Sean Connery or Pierce Brosnan, let alone George Lazenby, who is Australian or Barry Nelson, who was not only the first actor to play Bond, but also an American. My point, as you're so happy to ignore, is that if a Scottsman, an Irishman, an Australian and an American can play James Bond, why can't Idris Elba?

I think he'd be great, personally.

Well, we can definitely agree on that. Idris Elba is pretty awesome.

Quite.  But I wouldn't say there's ever a case for considering ethnicity in casting decisions.

I strongly disagree. I've already made my case with Ghost in the Shell, so I don't feel the need to repeat myself, but this is the kind of excuse a university used to excuse casting a white man to play Martin Luther King Jr.

There's no reason to consider race for James Bond or, since we're talking Idris Elba, Heimdal, but a white man playing Martin Luther King Jr.? If culture or race are an important part of a story or character, then colorblind casting doesn't work. It would be like casting a guy from Wales to play Othello, despite the character being a Moor and a Muslim being a very important part of the play.

I wouldn't particularly mind a black actor being cast as James Bond, but I think it would be better to have an original IP.

So, in other words, you want a separate, but equal version of James Bond for black people.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:00:10 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 08:04:14 pm »

So, in other words, you want a separate, but equal version of James Bond for black people.

Not exactly.  See, I have zero problem with a black James Bond.  My fear is that they might cast a black actor for the wrong reasons.  I never liked politically-charged racebending, and I doubt many others would.

As for my thoughts on Idris Elba, I think he's too old for the part.  Look at what happened when they cast Roger Moore.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 08:11:42 pm »
You literally said that a new IP should be created in favor of having Elba play Bond. No amount of backpedaling will change that you already asked for a separate, but equal Bond.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 08:12:36 pm »
You literally said that a new IP should be created in favor of having Elba play Bond. No amount of backpedaling will change that you already asked for a separate, but equal Bond.

Which ties into the "politically charged racebending" thing I mentioned.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 08:15:25 pm »
Gosh did UP say something that he now regrets?  However shall he respond!?

Ironbite-*gets the popcorn*

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 08:18:48 pm »
Idris Elba is 43 now. Three years younger than Moore was in The Spy Who Loved Me. And Elba was actually one of the several actors being talked about along with Daniel Craig in being considered for the new Bond. Also, due to having higher levels of collagen along with more melanin, Elba's good looks would in fact hold up much better during a long run as James Bond.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 08:29:57 pm »

inb4 "I'm not racist! Some of my best slaves are black!"
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 08:37:08 pm »
I like this clone.  We should keep it.

Even Then

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2016, 08:37:37 pm »
So when a black actor is discussed, you're worried that he'll get cast because of politics, but ScarJo in the role of an explicitly Japanese woman in a thematically Japanese work is not politics because something something best actor for the role. And also there should be a James Bond for black people because we need to keep the integrity of the role intact. But casting a white actor as a Japanese woman is okay. Because #notallroles.

Sometimes I ask myself "hmm, should I ease up on UP?" Thank you for snapping me out of it.

Oh, and about that 'there's no racism in casting' bullshit...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:43:21 pm by Even Then »

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2016, 08:39:50 pm »
Actually the ScarJo situation isn't as clear cut as that.  The Major in GitS isn't actually specifically Japanese.  That's just her current body and there's backstory that states that it isn't even her first body.  But yes they should've cast an Asian actress as the Major but we're stuck with this bullshit so.....

Ironbite-don't go see the movie and you'll vote with your wallet?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2016, 08:43:30 pm »
This shit, right here, is why I wait til I can stream movies or somethin.  Its just not worth it to support this crap monetarily.  That, and most theaters suck.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Even Then

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2016, 08:44:54 pm »
Eh, fair. I don't think one dude's boycott is gonna do much, tho.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2016, 08:50:50 pm »

inb4 "I'm not racist! Some of my best slaves are black!"

This is why I like you dude. Your snark never ceases to amaze me.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?