Author Topic: And they wonder why "eat the rich" has become a popular saying  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 04:32:19 pm by Svata »
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Art Vandelay

Re: And the wonder why "eat the rich" has become a popular saying
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:19:58 am »
That sandwich would probably be even more delicious and a hell of a lot cheaper without the gold.

Seriously, what is it with people eating gold? I get that status symbols are a thing, but the line really should be drawn at eating expensive, indigestible and flavourless things just because they're expensive. It's not like there doesn't exist expensive things that are actually quite tasty. Hell, caviar is quite nice, and that stuff costs stupid amounts of money.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 10:34:32 am »
It's a status symbol. They pay extra because they know that they'll get something that poor people can't afford.

They would happily buy a regular piece of toast for $500k that was grilled by burning $499'950 just so that they could instagram it and show others that they can afford to do so.

Meanwhile I'm a schmuck because I in their position would just pay for a really good piece of toast that would taste great but not be extravagant.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 10:45:47 am »
Never before have I seen the term "conspicuous consumption" taken so literally.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: And they wonder why "eat the rich" has become a popular saying
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 09:52:36 pm »
That sandwich would probably be even more delicious and a hell of a lot cheaper without the gold.

Seriously, what is it with people eating gold? I get that status symbols are a thing, but the line really should be drawn at eating expensive, indigestible and flavourless things just because they're expensive. It's not like there doesn't exist expensive things that are actually quite tasty. Hell, caviar is quite nice, and that stuff costs stupid amounts of money.

I figure literal gold is a way of making the signal clear even to people who don't know much about expensive food
Σא

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 02:44:07 am »

I figure literal gold is a way of making the signal clear even to people who don't know much about expensive food

Yes. There was some sketch about how it's not enough that you are rich, people might not notice it, you have to make it absolutely clear.

So, if you are drinking wine at a restaurant, how does some random schmuck know that the bottle is worth $20k? They might not be able to tell different wines from each other. Same goes with cars and clothes. The obvious answers are to either leave the price tag on every item, shout out to everyone "LOOK AT HOW RICH I AM! I AM DRINKING A $20k BOTTLE OF WINE!" or simply make everything out of gold and diamonds because those at least are easy to recognize.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 10:59:03 am »
Funny, considering expensive wine tastes like ass; the only reason people drink that crap is status and nothing else.  If I want to show off my ostentatious wealth and get utterly hammered, I'll stick to downing a litre of Goldschlager.  At least that way, I'm drinking actual fuckin' gold and some good cinnamon liqueur, as well.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 02:43:21 pm »
Nah, you can get good expensive stuff instead of "expensive for the sake of being expensive" as well.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 03:50:25 pm »
Nah, you can get good expensive stuff instead of "expensive for the sake of being expensive" as well.
It's kind of an arbiter of how much the owner of lots of money understands it's value.

"My toilet is noise and water reducing and cleans your asshole for you."

"Well my toilet is solid fucking gold".

Guess which one the "leader of the free world" uses!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 03:58:06 pm »
Merkel? Probably something simple and utilitarian.

After all, she refuses to use the massive workdesk that had been built for her predecessor and insted works on a regular table.