Author Topic: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins  (Read 36877 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins
« on: February 27, 2018, 05:22:22 pm »
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/G18/AZ#H08_
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/G18/TX
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/G18/PA#H18_
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/G18/IL

Today, there's a primary for the special election in Arizona's 8th Congressional district to fill the seat vacated by Trent Franks, and next week, the primary for the 2018 midterms in Texas takes place, including the Senate seat currently held by Ted Cruz.

The week after that, there's a special election to fill the seat in Pennsylvania's 18th Congressional district, vacated by Tim Murphy, and the week after that, Illinois holds its primaries for the midterm elections.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/375664-scott-walker-sued-by-eric-holder-backed-group-over-special-elections

But over in Wisconsin, Scott Walker is refusing to hold elections to fill two vacant seats in the state legislature.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 06:10:35 pm »
Scott Walker is, if I remember correctly, extremely unpopular. That he won reelection after being recalled would baffle me if I didn't know how bad this state's gerrymandering is.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:14:39 pm »
Scott Walker is, if I remember correctly, extremely unpopular. That he won reelection after being recalled would baffle me if I didn't know how bad this state's gerrymandering is.

Scott Walker is one of the most unpopular Governors in the country. According to Morning Consult...

https://morningconsult.com/2018/02/01/governor-rankings-jan-2018/

He's 9th most unpopular Governor in the country. (Note: two of the people ahead of him are Chris Christie and Sam Brownback, who are no longer or will shortly be no longer in office.)

Not sure how he was doing when he was recalled, but gerrymandering would have had nothing to do with it, since it was a statewide race. Other forms of voter suppression would, of course, have impacted things.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 11:08:17 pm »
You're right. The point stands though. The chances of winning after a recall are extremely low and considering how Wisconsin has some of the worst voter suppression (and gerrymandering, but, as we've established, I misspoke by bringing it up) in the country, it's absolutely embarrassing that he's still in office.
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 04:41:38 pm »
He's still in there because people stayed home on election day.  For all the cries of recalling his ass, nobody showed up to the polls.  Couple that with his voter suppression tactics, no surprise he's still around.

Ironbite-might not be after this election.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 07:11:58 pm »
Meanwhile, a reminder to go vote.

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/G18/TX

Texas primaries are taking place today, with polls closing approximately 50 minutes after I post this (except for the area around El Paso, where polls close approximately 110 minutes after I post this).

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 06:24:38 pm »
https://www.tedcruz.org/press-releases/cruz-senate-campaign-releases-statewide-radio-ad/

Ted Cruz has released an ad attacking his Democratic opponent in the 2018 Senate election, Beto O'Rourke.

The ad is in the form of a country song, starting as follows:

If you’re gonna run in Texas.
You can’t be a liberal man.

He also attacks O'Rourke for going by Beto when his given name is Robert... even though Ted Cruz goes by a short form of not his given name, Rafael, but of his middle name, Edward.

And let's remember just how much Trump broke Cruz in 2016:

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 07:10:06 pm »
Oh I really hope Cruz will get destroyed by this guy. I have no faith in it but I really hope he does.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 07:36:03 pm »
Oh I really hope Cruz will get destroyed by this guy. I have no faith in it but I really hope he does.

Texas' demographics are changing, and Republicans are fleeing the GOP there.

Consider: the quintessential swing state in Presidential elections is Ohio.

1992: Clinton +2
1996: Clinton +6
2000: Bush +3.5
2004: Bush +2
2008: Obama +4.5
2012: Obama +3
2016: Trump +8.5

Compare Texas:

1992: Bush +3.5
1996: Dole +5
2000: Bush +21.5
2004: Bush +23
2008: McCain +12
2012: Romney +16
2016: Trump +9

Ohio's been arguably trending more Republican, while Texas has been trending more Democratic. I think that O'Rourke has a very good shot at taking out Cruz, and whoever wins the Democratic Presidential nomination in 2020 also has a damn good shot at flipping the state. (If you flip only Texas from Trump to Clinton in 2016, and assuming every elector votes for their party's candidate, Clinton wins the electoral vote 270-268.) Making Texas a swing state would be a huge shift in Presidential politics, and the 2018 races will be very telling as to whether that could happen. Plus, shifting some of the GOP's 25 House seats to the Democrats would be big, and flipping the Governor's office would allow the Dems to get more favourable legislative maps after the 2020 Census.

Texas is definitely a state to watch.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 08:25:45 pm »
Texas had a 100%+ increase in Democratic voting yesterday.  It's such a turnout that the GOP launched a lawsuit in order to throw the Democrats off the ballot completely.

Ironbite-they're seeing the growing storm and they're trying to stop it any way they can.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 08:35:39 pm »
God, what a healthy democracy this country has.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 10:46:33 pm »
Texas had a 100%+ increase in Democratic voting yesterday.  It's such a turnout that the GOP launched a lawsuit in order to throw the Democrats off the ballot completely.

Ironbite-they're seeing the growing storm and they're trying to stop it any way they can.

I think the lawsuit began back in January. They only amended it recently to be about the general election in November rather than the primary because early voting had begun with the challenged candidates already on the ballots used for advance polling.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 11:39:21 pm »
Rafael Edward "Zodiac Killer" Cruz is upset that someone goes by a nickname?

Say it isn't so.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 02:48:44 pm »
If you live in Pennsylvania's 18th congressional district (under the current map), just a reminder that there is a special election today. Polls close at 8 PM EDT.

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/G18/PA#H18_

EDIT: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/13/us/elections/results-pennsylvania-house-special-election.html

As of this writing, with 581 of 593 precincts reporting, Democratic candidate Conor Lamb leads Republican candidate Rick Saccone by 700 votes in the special election in Pennsylvania's 18th district. (And keep in mind, this district is R+11.)

EDIT #2: With 591 of 593 precincts reporting, Lamb leads Saccone by 847 votes.

Note, however, that the two precincts not yet reporting are in Westmoreland County, which is heavily Republican.

EDIT #3: With all precincts reporting, Lamb has received 579 more votes than Saccone.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:27:18 am by dpareja »

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 02:45:48 am »
 The blue wave is happening. I hope Trump is getting nervous.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t